JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For years and years and years- I was homeless between 3 to 5 times due to brain damage and unable to keep a job- I had a list of firearms I wanted to collect. Then the VA and Social Security said I was 100% unemployable (Hence the comments about being the "Unemployed comic" cause jokes are free- I can afford that).

So I got two huge back pay checks. Tax Free. Bought the wife a new Jeep.

I went shopping and the word "No" was NOT in my vocabulary.

Fast forward to today- and I've got firearms stacked up like cordwood in my closet, I haven't shot most of them (Altho I must admit when I see a scary movie I go on a HUGE firearm cleaning binge and I have my bible in my other hand going over my favorite verses) and I'm asking myself "Just maybe I went overboard"

Maybe. *Urk* I refuse to admit I went $15,000 overboard. I REFUSE. Even if I did I still refuse. I also had each firearm customized at my local gun shop for me-stock's modified, sights put on for MY poor vision, etc.

So the question now becomes- what should I do with some of them? I have logical reasons- well, they seem logical to me- reasons to keep them for each scenario of danger.

Examples: ****Calico Liberty II with 100 round magazines, for house to house usage in case things go bad. Colonel Jeff Cooper says that sub-guns are a waste of time and money- use a shotgun instead. So there's $800 wrapped up in hardware that could be replaced by a $300 Mossberg 590.

My favorite- which is stupid, I'm the first to admit- is a Savage model 24V over/under .22LR/.410 that I paid $250 then had it completely restored to the original 1950 factory finish. It's a rather silly gun- but guess what? As a boy I spent HUNDREDS (Yeah, just checked my math) HUNDREDS of trigger hours on one. This rifle is 100% ego-boo and childhood memories. Is it worth the $850 to make it immaculate? Nope. But it's pretty!

So my question is; has anyone else made decisions like this and what did you do to correct the situation? Did you keep them and curse? Did you offload them at a loss? Did you trade them?

Thank You- Larry

Keep them but buy a safe instead of stacking them like wood.........and $15,000 isn't all that much to have in firearms.

Keep them but buy a safe instead of stacking them like wood.........and $15,000 isn't all that much to have in firearms.

You're right- I should have phrased it better. I have them in locked travel storage cases- I do have a 12 gun Cannon safe I do use also. Since I have no children, no grand children, nor anyone else to have direct access to them its not a safety issue in the general sense of the term.

*Snorts and giggles* $15,000 isn't that much to have in guns? Tell that to my insurance company! =D Bastards will only insure $500/firearm and you know that's dimes to the dollar for what some of them are really worth.

Larry,

I have seldom if ever regretted buying a firearm, I have however regretted selling one.
It kinda like a car how many times do we sell our beloved car or truck or motorcycle and a month later go oh man !!!

Oh yes I know exactly what you mean!

Firearms like ammo seldom ever lose value unless they are garabage or heavily used. If it was me unless I needed money I would keep them. After all there was a reason you bought them to begin with. I have some I use, some I do not I am more a buyer then a seller always have been.

Once again, I can't argue with this- tis true

So Larry a good way to know is grab some coffee sit down and go through them, I am sure once you hold them in your hands the reasons will all flow back and you will go what was I thinking.

SW

Its coffee and breaking a toe on a case kicking it by accident is what made me think of this

Salted, that is how I feel too. Any time I have thought about selling something that has sat in the safe for a while... I go shoot it one last time and ALWAYS decide I still want to hold onto it! :) I have traded for something I wanted more. But still sad I got rid of that one on a trade.

I don't think it is the expense as it seems you can afford it.

A lot of people who have spent a LOT more on a single car than I have into all of my firearms together - by far. Then there are the people who have a boat, a jetski, a $30K Harley, and so on. I used to have more spent on my motorcycles than my guns until I sold my Ducati.

I think if you get a gun simply to have a gun and never shoot it or even look at it, then maybe that particular gun is possibly one you could do without. For example, I have an AR-50 that I have up for sale in the Classifieds section that I decided I to sell simply because I will probably not do anything with it, and $3200 is too much to have invested in a rifle I won't use, much less all the other stuff I would have to buy to shoot it (like a scope that could handle the recoil).

Once you forget how many you have, you have the RIGHT amount.

I went through a purpose battle with mine about a year ago. At that time I turned those that had no real purpose into something with purpose. Mostly ammo and accessories I did not place a bunch of emphasis on. I am still going through this battle honestly. I just recently got rid of a Saiga 12 for a nice bolt action. I know I'll use the rifle a hell of a lot more than the Saiga.

I think once you find the purpose for each that you own you lose the regretful feeling that you may have. Or not. Hard to say.

That or just turn a few into ammo and get out and shoot them more.

one thing to remember your not spending money on a firearm, your investing it. If something comes up, you can always sell a firearm, unlike other tangible investments, like art.

The taxpayers are taking care of you and yours tax free. You won't be going hungry. so why not simply keep them ... say thank you for my service, and enjoy the beauty of your choices. I advise you to get insurance, like the NRA policy, if you have not already done so. It would be a real downer if you lost any of your family. Thank you for your service.

Definitely NRA insurance. I looked around for insurance with other "name brand" insurers. They will cover you up to 1500 before they start asking for serial numbers. At least the ones I called seemed to all have this practice.

To hell with that.

I actually think it's a very good question that I've been pondering too. I've slowly gotten rid of guns over the last year. I want things down to the guns I shoot regularly and are the most practical tools. That can be a pretty wide category but I think the fewer choices, and the better I can use them is the direction, for me.

Several years ago I went through a major downsizing and have not regretted it. Consolidated calibers, sold the really expensive ones that I worried about too much, and purchased a few that I lusted after. Been happy ever since. Now I just worry about ammo...

Not to sound like a complete eh hole, but if you have brain damage that prevents you from working how are you able to safely own/ handle firearms?

I mean I'm not against it or saying you shouldn't have them please don't take tha the wrong way.
But I'm a firm believer in being a conscience, safe, and responsible firearms owner.

I would say the same for an alcoholic, drug addict, or just plain old immature/ irresponsible person.

I know a couple people that suffered brain injury while serving, they have set backs and disability, but can still work and own firearms just the same as I can.

I'm sorry if this seems disrespectful.

Not to sound like a complete eh hole, but if you have brain damage that prevents you from working how are you able to safely own/ handle firearms?

I mean I'm not against it or saying you shouldn't have them please don't take tha the wrong way.
But I'm a firm believer in being a conscience, safe, and responsible firearms owner.

I would say the same for an alcoholic, drug addict, or just plain old immature/ irresponsible person.

I know a couple people that suffered brain injury while serving, they have set backs and disability, but can still work and own firearms just the same as I can.

I'm sorry if this seems disrespectful.

Good question. Did you see where I am an NRA pistol, RATBAV, and Home Safety Instructor besides being a former Drill Sgt with the 104th Training Regiment/2nd Bn/Alpha company? Oh, and I'm also a Certified Range Safety Officer- not instructor, just RSO.

I spent the $2500ish dollars for the certifications just because I knew people would say exactly what you just said- "Guys brain damaged- take away his guns".

So lets review- let us open up our BATFE websites to here: http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf and let us scroll down to question 11, item F: please read it carefully- remember, a background investigation WILL catch you if you lie on it.

I also had the background check required for my Concealed Firearms Permit.

So am I a danger to myself or others? No Have I ever been put into a mental institution for observation? No Am I under the direct care of a psychiatrist? Yes because of the drug interactions between liver, kidney, brain, 2 types of arthritis, and diabetes- a general medical practitioner doesn't have the advanced training I need for adequate health care.

About this time you should be asking yourself "Holy Cow! Why the Certs? Why the research? Why is he so prepared?"

Glad you asked. *Adjusts his Paralegal Cap* I am a man of many talents- and I got tired of people threatening to sue me so I went to Paralegal College so I could save money on attorney fees. So far the score is 8 wins, 2 draws, zero loss's.

Now, this is an opinion. If I say it is the law then I am practicing law and only attorneys can do that ok? I need to make that disclaimer before some wag says "HE'S TELLING PEOPLE THE LAW". No I am not- this is just my opinion.

The reason why I have done all this preparation work is what's called the "Reasonable Person doctrine". The legal concept is that you ask the question "What would a reasonable person do in this situation?" Now, knowing all the antigunners out there, the incredible number of people who really don't understand either mental illness or brain damage- I am going on the assumption that some day I will be arrested. The very first thing the Prosecutor is going to do- even if the charges are bogus- is do a complete medical background investigation to see if I am impaired. And for everything that Prosecutor does, I will have supporting documentation that negates his charges- see where this is going?

So, how many bad guys are NRA Certified Instructors Mr. Prosecutor? Uh,,,,zero. And how many crimes have NRA members- much less life members like Mr Trail here have been done in the past 20 years? Uh,,,,zero. No more questions your honor.

I just made the Prosecution look like an idiot in front of a half jury.

The Flip Side of my way of thinking is that idiot who's currently looking at Federal Firearm Charges in Pierce County- Tyler Richard Smith the idiot who went on "Doomsday Preppers" and bragged his prep's consisted of taking other peoples stuff at gun point. Pierce County Docket #14-01-00227-2 Since he was already a convicted felon and intentionally used firearms for demonstration?

Freedom is guarded by 4 boxes: The Soap Box which is what we're using here. The Ballot Box- I hope everyone is voting for I-591 right?

The Jury Box- my favorite form of battle ground. Then with great reluctance the cartridge box.

If you have any more questions please PM me ok?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top