JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a set of rcbs 460 dies.

I must say this caliber is hard on brass, I've had case head separation after 2 firings :eek:

Heavy loads?

I generally load for those type of loads I can't buy off the shelf - it isn't about cost for me. So that usually means light loads. In this chambering that would mean mostly light .45 Colt loads and not .454 or .460, but I want a set of dies that can reload all three of the cartridges I would normally shoot in the gun. I don't have any .454 brass/ammo - I figure I would either shoot moderate to heavy .460 for hunting or .45 Colt for target practice and small game when hunting.

But the question is, can these be used to load .45 Colt?

Pretty sure they can, but just want verification as that would be what I primarily use them for.

Can't say from experience, but you had me curious, so did a little searching - found this on the S&W forum I'm a member of - of course, it's just one person's opinion:

NO, The 460 is loaded with 460 Dies,

The 45 Colt Will load 45 Colt and 454 Casull

So you need 2 sets of dies.

If you by chance want a Lee Factory crimp die, the one for the 45 Colt works on the 460 SW Magnum, (crazy, but that's the way it is)

I am betting the .460 can be used to load .45 colt, but either way, if I want to load both 460 and .45 colt, I have to get the 460 die set anyway. If it doesn't work for .45 colt then I can just get the .45 colt set and use it.

I think starline actually recommends 45 colt dies to prevent overworking brass. Which is probably why mine separates so soon. It just seems weird to not fully size the brass :eek:

If I get time later I'll try both as I have 45 colt and 460 dies :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top