JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is a pic of a friends brand New Colt Python Gen 2. Metal flaking out of the barrel. Approximately 20 rounds through it. These pics after cleaning it twice.

5C40E74D-E598-426B-AEE4-0F8D7671BBF8.jpeg 1A55AAC1-AF6C-45F5-8408-015C20EC4D4C.jpeg

How does that happen? Are you sure this isn't lead buildup or copper fouling? Seriously, I would like to know wtf is going on with that. Here is a pic of mine, I think it was made in the 80's. I was thinking of getting one of the new ones as a shooter.

IMG_5072.JPG

Last Edited:
How does that happen? Are you sure this isn't lead buildup or copper fouling? Seriously, I would like to know wtf is going on with that. Here is a pic of mine, I think it was made in the 80's. I was thinking of getting one of the new ones as a shooter.

View attachment 734265
Lead/Cu builds up near the forcing cone. That is a very rough barrel with horrible tool marks.:(:confused::eek: I would contact Colt.

That's lead near the muzzle. I would avoid shooting bare lead in that gun if Colt doesn't think there's anything wrong. Why would it collect there is my question. Makes ya wonder if the barrel's ID is choked near the muzzle.

The original Pythons barrel bores were slightly tapered to increase accuracy.
Here's an interesting article about the Python and the details of what went into making one.

"A second reason for the legendary Python accuracy is the barrel.

Samuel Colt and his employees actually invented high precision, high production barrel rifling machinery in the 1840's. This type of barrel rifling machinery and process changed very little until the 1950's.

Colt was one of the few American gun makers to manufacture their own barrels, and Colt barrels were always famous for their quality and accuracy.

Colt went even farther with the Python barrel. It was manufactured to an even higher standard with an ultra-smooth bore and a faster rifling twist that stabilizes the bullet better.

Uniquely, the Python bore was tapered slightly toward the muzzle.

As the bullet passed down the barrel the tapered bore gripped the bullet tighter, increasing accuracy.

As part of the manufacturing process, the Python barrel was given a somewhat mysterious treatment known as "the silver ball".

In this process a silver colored ball of a secret material was pressed down the bore with a hand press device. This left the inside of the barrel very uniform, perfectly smooth, and with a brilliant mirror-like shine.

All of this combined to make the Python capable of astounding accuracy.

A number of shooters have obtained one hole, 3 shot groups at 25 yards that are smaller than a .45 caliber bullet.

More than the fine fit and finish, it was the Pythons accuracy that made it a legendary revolver."

The original Pythons barrel bores were slightly tapered to increase accuracy.
Here's an interesting article about the Python and the details of what went into making one.

"A second reason for the legendary Python accuracy is the barrel.

Samuel Colt and his employees actually invented high precision, high production barrel rifling machinery in the 1840's. This type of barrel rifling machinery and process changed very little until the 1950's.

Colt was one of the few American gun makers to manufacture their own barrels, and Colt barrels were always famous for their quality and accuracy.

Colt went even farther with the Python barrel. It was manufactured to an even higher standard with an ultra-smooth bore and a faster rifling twist that stabilizes the bullet better.

Uniquely, the Python bore was tapered slightly toward the muzzle.

As the bullet passed down the barrel the tapered bore gripped the bullet tighter, increasing accuracy.

As part of the manufacturing process, the Python barrel was given a somewhat mysterious treatment known as "the silver ball".

In this process a silver colored ball of a secret material was pressed down the bore with a hand press device. This left the inside of the barrel very uniform, perfectly smooth, and with a brilliant mirror-like shine.

All of this combined to make the Python capable of astounding accuracy.

A number of shooters have obtained one hole, 3 shot groups at 25 yards that are smaller than a .45 caliber bullet.

More than the fine fit and finish, it was the Pythons accuracy that made it a legendary revolver."
I never really considered my Python to be more accurate than similar revolvers from other makers; What impresses me is the slick/smooth as glass working of the action. The competitors had nothing to compare with it unless you spent $$$$ to have your revolver tuned and smoothed... Glad I got (and kept) my old Python- doubt if the new Pythons will be as good or as valued in 30 years...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top