Pyrodox equally corrosive as Black PowderI probably should have just asked Andy

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Argonaut, Aug 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. P7id10T

P7id10T
    Tetrachromatic
    Dysfunction Junction Gold Supporter

what?
    When & where?

Ura-Ki likes this.
  2. RVTECH

RVTECH
    Wickiup Junction

Especially when mixed with Murphy’s Oil Soap 50/50 - good ‘old school’ BP solvent!

etrain16 likes this.
  3. Ownerus

Ownerus
    South Clackamas Co.
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Back when I started shooting BP under the tutelage of a neighbor (think Andy plus 40 years) I mentioned my concern about the corrosive nature of BP. He corrected me, saying it's not so much corrosive as hygroscopic. It draws moisture. It does add to the moisture some salt compounds but it's nowhere near as aggressively corrosive as the residue of chlorate primers found in old (especially military) ammo. Still, a good, prompt cleaning with something water based is necessary, just not quite as much of a panic time-wise as with chlorate primers.

As for 777, I only used it one time when a different neighbor came over with his new flintlock for loading instructions. He brought along the can of 777 helpfully recommend by the sales goober where he bought the rifle. I had misgivings about it but, what the heck, might as well try it. Loaded up, put some in the pan and discovered it's pretty much non-flammable. Repeated showers of sparks failed to light the charge in the pan. So, we dumped the pan and filled it with my 4F BP . It took 2 or 3 good pan flashes before we finally got the main charge to light off. We switched to my BP and didn't make any further attempts with the "substitutes". Might be ok in a caplock but definitely poo in a flinter.

P7id10T and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. xlsbob

xlsbob
    coos county
    Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

I dont know about rifles but in cannons pyrodex was a waste of money, it was better to just wait till got black. I've always cleaned with Dawn dish soap and boiling water then swab barrel with crisco when it dried. No rust in over 20 years of doing it that way.

Argonaut likes this.
  5. ageingstudent

ageingstudent
    Fairview, OR
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I sense a new sub-forum being born:

"Just Ask Andy"

It'll be great for all of us, not so much for him:D. Kind of like a hairy gun toting Ann Landers.

Ann Landers--dead or alive?

Argonaut, Certaindeaf and P7id10T like this.