JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So today I had to put a few cats down. I seem to always get calls for this chore from the extended family, no I don't get a joy out of it. But I was raised to take care of my pets, that means putting them down when needed. Is that not the norm anymore? What do you do?

We had to put out dog down last year. Several of the local vets give a really good deal for owners. They charge a reasonable amount to give the dog a shot and have them cremated.

It sucks to have to do, but it was nice not to have to take him out into the woods and shoot him.

I have put several pets down. Never myself, but I made the decision for the vet to do it. My first was my first Lab "Murphy". She developed pancreatitis. I kept her at the vet for almost two weeks hoping she would pull thru, but in the end I went in one day and she could barely raise her head to greet me or wag her tail. I cursed myself for not having her put down sooner and ending her suffering and swore I would never do that again.

Forward several years. We got a new lab pup from a litter down south and after about six months I noticed the dog was really favoring her left hind leg. I thought she maybe just had strained it playing, but after a couple of days took her to the vet. She took X-rays and said it was the worst case of hip displaysia she had ever seen. She could operate, but the pup would likely be back in the same shape in a six mos. to a year and just get worse from there. I had her put down the next day. :(

Yeah sucks when that happens. Our last dog got hit by a car, and needed to be put down. That was the hardest one so far, just cause she was so busted up and I knew she was hurting bad.

I have put several down by shooting them in the woods and do not advise doing this because you see the last expression on their face and their body language-which stays with you like PTSD.

Here is a suggestion: Have a friend of the family or neighor take your pet to the vet to put them down. That way you do not see the possible awful look when they are separated. This may be the most humane way to do it--let the vet put them to sleep; and make sure the vet is crediable and truthworthy. Some are not!

Last Edited:
I have not had to be personally responsible for this duty, but I know the day is coming.

I discussed this with a veterinarian once and they strongly suggested that you (owner) should be there when the injection is given. The vet said that when the owners choose to leave before the injection, the left behind pet always looks for them.

I figure I should be there for the pets sake when it happens. I don't know how I would feel about myself if I left a loved pet to meet its end alone or among strangers.

Live on a farm...you will develop the cold killing style of Rambo.

I'm actually only partly kidding...I hate killing animals but sometimes it has to be done..sheep, chickens, ducks, it's just part of the circle of life I guess.

i've always thought if you're going to put down a dog, you ought to at least have the balls and respect to do the deed yourself. the animal has given you years of faithful service and companionship- give him the honor he deserves.

this was my position when our family dog finally went blind/deaf and could barely stand on his own anymore. but i was overruled by the rest of the family, and took ol' Bucky to the family vet. i gave him a nice filet mignon in the parking lot, which he could barely swallow (but sure gave it his best try!), and took him in. the vet was surprised i wanted to stay, but Bucky never could stand to be apart from me, and always HATED the vet, so i sure as bubblegum wasn't going to abandon him in his last moment. he was terrified the moment we went in, and the only thing that could calm him down from his hyperventilating anxiety was having me blow in his face. he couldn't see me, he couldn't hear me, but he could smell me.. and so long as i held him there and gave him something familiar to smell, he stayed calm enough to put the needle in.

he faded out in my arms, and i left the empty shell, and went straight to the bar. my best friend was killed in a car accident two years before. the woman i loved more than life itself left me for another man about a year later. but THIS was the worst day of my life.

never, ever, ever again. if i ever have another dog, and he needs puttin down, i'll do it with my own hand. quick, clean, with dignity.

i've always thought if you're going to put down a dog, you ought to at least have the balls and respect to do the deed yourself. the animal has given you years of faithful service and companionship- give him the honor he deserves.

Has nothing to do with "having the balls." I have no doubt that if there were no other options, I could and would. But I do agree with, after the years of service and companionship, to have the respect to put them down when their quality of life is gone. Not having a desire to shoot them in the head, but rather to take them and hold them in your lap while they are put down with a shot, takes no more or less testicular fortitude. I think we can agree that most all of us love our pets and want whats best for them...

Has nothing to do with "having the balls." I have no doubt that if there were no other options, I could and would. But I do agree with, after the years of service and companionship, to have the respect to put them down when their quality of life is gone. Not having a desire to shoot them in the head, but rather to take them and hold them in your lap while they are put down with a shot, takes no more or less testicular fortitude. I think we can agree that most all of us love our pets and want whats best for them...

i probably should have phrased it differently- i wasn't trying to be as abrasive as i made it sound.

just still really sours me every time i think about my own one experience.. awful experience.

If given the opportunity, I definitely choose the more sedate and IMO humane way of the shot at the vet (spending the final moments with them of course).

I've also had to do it the hard way too. I had a GS that got impaled on a piece of rebar and there was just no hope. One of the hardest things to do is put a trusted friend down with your own hand.

I had to put down our male dog early in the morning before any vet was available, then go to work. People wondered why I was so quiet. Never had to do that before, thought I'd never do that again.

Not too much after that, we had to put our female down. Took her to the vet for a shot. That was just awful. Cold sterile room, seemed like it took forever for her to go. Worse than doing it myself.

We rescued an older dog after that summer. I was very hesitant to get an older dog, wanting to delay that inevitable moment as long as possible. I'm glad we got him though, he's just the best dog. I hope he's around to a ripe old age, then goes quietly in his sleep. I won't do the vet thing again, so if he needs to be put down I'll just have to do it.

Outside of my Sister-in-Law's end-of life services the only people who have seen me shed tears as an adult have been vets. I/we will not leave our furry family members when the time comes. They pass with the touch of loving hands, and are buried at home. I hope to see them again when I leave.

Well sad subject, but I have the same delema. My GSP is 16 going blind,deaf, and having trouble getting up and going outside. He is in no pain. he has been the best dog ever. I have a female moma and a female dsughter from them. My son also has a son. so his line goes on. I though hard about the sterile vet thing but thats not for him. when its time soon I think we will go on our last hunting trip together. i will feed him some alpo with sleeping pills in it. after he goes to sleep then its done. I think he would want to be where he hunted all his life. I have also heard of a vet who will come to your home so your dog is not in a sterile unfamilliar place.

I have two Wiemeraners that both turned 14 yesterday(litter mates). I have been dreading the time when they have to leave this world. They are still pretty healthy and it may be a year or two yet but when the time comes it will be at the vet and I will be there untill they pass.

My vet has a special room that families can be with their pet during the injection. It is decorated with pastel colors and calming paintings, etc.

We have 4 animals in the family and I'm not looking forward to those 4 very difficult days.

I have been given the duty to take care of the pets who have come to their end, both for my family members and many of my friends as well. I take no joy in the task, but it has to be done...and I see no reason for people to go and pay exorbitant amounts of money for a vet to do the same job I can accomplish with a .22LR.

I was glad to pay the $40 to the vet last week when I put my old dog down. It was easier on the dog, he got a good sedative before they gave him the one that stops the heart. He didn't feel a bit of pain, he was pretty high.

I never hurt my dog and I just don't think I could have looked him in the face and pulled the trigger.

I went through this not too long ago and opted to have my Lab put down at the Vets. Not so much about the money as it was to let him leave this world in my arms and slowly leave this world at peace and not looking down the barrel of my gun. He was a good and loyal friend and deserved to leave this world like the family member he was.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top