Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Putting a heavy barrel on a wood stocked 10/22?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by RedneckRampage, Nov 10, 2011.

1. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

Is it possible, to put a heavy barrel on a 10/22 with a stock wood stock? I really like the look of the wood, but would like a heavy barrel.

2. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Yep, just takes some time with a rasp and sand paper. You can do just about anything, just takes a little time.

Here is a link to a project stock I did. I thought I had some better pics of the channel but I guess not, GunBroker.com Message Forums - 10/22 Stock project with pics (updated) This was the 3rd topic I did. If you click the link at the top it will take you back to my middle thread. If you click the link in that thread it will take you to my first thread.

Nice thing about 10/22 stocks if you mess one up you can find anther for about $25.

3. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

That looks pretty cool. I'm on the look out for a cheap 10/22 now and a heavy barrel. I want to get started on it.

4. djgaloot

djgaloot Oregon City Member

I am doing a similar build for my son. I have a Hogue heavy barrel for his 10/22. Should it be free floated, bedded? If so, where?

5. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

Just let you know, they are really heavy. ;)

6. mrsafeway

mrsafeway Auburn Member

Genius.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  7. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

Normally you would free float the barrel, bed the first 1-1.5 inches of the barrel and the rear of receiver. Adding a pillar for the hold down screw eliminates any compression of the wood.

PICT0002Medium-1.jpg

8. djgaloot

djgaloot Oregon City Member

Thanks! I will plan to do those things. I am very impressed with the Revolution stock i purchased. I bought it unfinished but it seems to be of high quality.

9. fredball

fredball Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Theres alot more to it than just hogging it out with a wood rasp,angles seating ect do yourself a favor and check out some of the after market stocks it's already done and done correctly and the multitude of color choices is amazing.

10. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

What a lot more? I took a factory stock and opened up the barrel channel, was not that hard. What do you have to loose by trying? I got the satisfaction of doing it myself and the fun of doing it.

11. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Just did it to my model 70. Not a big deal
    Take a dowel just under an inch,(heavy barrels are .980 right?) wrap it with sand paper and get to it.

Is it that much help to bed a 10 22?

12. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter North Bend OR Active Member

Most heavy barrels for the 10/22 are .920". A 7/8 dowel with 60-80 grit measures .900" so it will get you there. Being there is no taper another way is to use a 1" ball mill or 1/2 radius router bit in a mill.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  13. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Power tool scare me

14. hackercat13

hackercat13 Steilacoom, WA Active Member

Ok, I am new at this, where did you get that pillar, and/or how did you make it?