Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Put together my 1st AR lower today!

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by elkfish, Mar 14, 2010.

1. elkfish

elkfish NW Oregon Member

I don't know what I was so worried about it was easy! I Did it while following a very compleate U-Tube video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA_Vkb2UB1w ) and the guide on AR15.com. I see a whole new world opening up to me. I have 2 more LPK ready to go and I think I'll be shoping for more lowers at the next gun show. ;)

Todays build was on a Rock River lower using a Rock River LPK and a standard A2 stock mated to a smooth side sportical upper. Next as cash allows I will be mounting a 6.8 SPC barrel and free float hand guard for a yoties and deer hunting combo rifle.

ElkFish.
    :drink::drink::drink:

2. .45's and .38's

.45's and .38's Happy Valley OR Well-Known Member

Congrats :thumbup:.......I wanted to build my lower really bad, but decided against it, I was to scared :( :( So I got a complete lower......But im just as happy :)

3. MacBookProAR

MacBookProAR Stayton Member

Not sure how many people I have tried to convince to just assemble their own and when they see how easy it is most people are very surprised. My dad just did his first build and I helped him out with it. He was astounded when it only took a few minutes.

4. smurf hunter

smurf hunter Auburn, WA Active Member

If you can get a complete lower for the same price of separate pieces, why not get it fully assembled?

Unless you're very experienced and have some customizations, it almost doesn't seem cost effective to DIY.

5. MacBookProAR

MacBookProAR Stayton Member

That is exactly why. All of my trigger parts get replaced or sent off before they go in the lower. Plus, I don't see prices that good on completes very oftn especially considering I would get rid of half the hardware anyway.

6. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

I've assembled a couple now. WAY easier than I thought it would be. Three advantages I can think of are 1) You know how everything works. 2) If anything breaks you know how to fix or replace it. 3) while you are in there you can polish things up and make it work smoother than an "off the rack" lower. The only ways I can see buying an assembled lower as being better is 1) If a part is out of spec might not realize it if you are inexperienced. 2) If your lower is hand fitted by an experienced gunsmith it will probably work better than an amateur polish job by you, but more $$$.