JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have wanted a Taylor Arms reproduction of a Winchester model 1885 Sporting double set trigger checkered 32" barrel in 45-70 for maybe 2 dozen years now. I also want a full length 6X scope and a set of mid range Creedmore type sights. This will run about $2500-2800 depending on the Iron sights I chose. I know not a very practical rifle. But I already have a bunch of those.

3 times I have gotten money out of the blue I could have picked up the rifle. The first time there were none of them in stock for 3 months after the money showed up and it got used on something else. about the same thing the next two times or I talked myself out of it. BUT I just found out the $3500 I have been expecting to get for my share of one of my dads Asbestos law suits ( he passed in 2002 hows that for a fast court system) is going to turn into around $10,000 (due to our attorney and the executor of the will holding the $3500 waiting on a second suit paying out so probate would not have to be reopened a second time) we are in a very good place money wise so I think I am going to try one more time to do this.

Wish me luck. And does anyone have a clue how to wedge like 4 more rifles onto a rifle rack that already is to full. I have 3 rifles leaning up against the shelves in my toy room already. Maybe I should make the son in law and my son take their rifles stored here home.

OK so some developments in the decision making process. The Federal money added to my unemp was a totally unforeseen windfall as was the stimulus. Then and while this was expected I got my Drivers Bonus (for not wrecking anything LOL) plus Unemp held up 2 weeks of bennies due to me not being able to answer the Question "You worked this week then did not the next WHY?" mostly due to the HUGE increase in there customers. The results of over 250 phone calls was that I got put on hold ONCE for 2.5 hours and then they hung up on me. And it must take three weeks + for them to read their mail. At any rate I'm getting 2 weeks unemp and another 600.00 Fed bump. All the while we are very very good as far as Bills etc.

SO with all this I have all the funds I need to finish up the Willys Jeep Project including building the aluminum hard top. already in hand. SO when the law suit settlement money comes in I am GOING to order that Winchester Model 1885 reproduction I want. And I might even finish up the .35 Whelen I been building as well.

Course then 4 major appliances will blow up. .

Course then 4 major appliances will blow up. .

Set aside some money ear marked to be used only for that kind of emergency, then use what you have left over for toys.

The one thing I am glad I did when I could was set aside 10 months of living expenses and pay two months ahead on my mortgage payments. I just finished my sixth week of unemployment filings and I still have yet to see one single penny of UI payments with no word from them whether I will ever get anything, much less when.

Beyond that, it is starting to look like I may never get another job in my profession - they just don't hire 66 year old software engineers.

Set aside some money ear marked to be used only for that kind of emergency, then use what you have left over for toys.

The one thing I am glad I did when I could was set aside 10 months of living expenses and pay two months ahead on my mortgage payments. I just finished my sixth week of unemployment filings and I still have yet to see one single penny of UI payments with no word from them whether I will ever get anything, much less when.

Beyond that, it is starting to look like I may never get another job in my profession - they just don't hire 66 year old software engineers.

Mortgage is gone two years now. Learn to drive dump truck we are paying damn good money for drivers.

"And does anyone have a clue how to wedge like 4 more rifles onto a rifle rack "

What I do is take the bolts out of my bolt guns and just store the bolts in the safe, leaving the rifles outside. Of course I have to mark the bolts just to ensure I don't get them mixed up, putting the wrong bolt in the gun (needed if you have similar guns). If there are some bolt guns I want inside the safe, I still do it because a gun without a bolt fits in a smaller space and reduces the tendency to scratch another gun...

I have already compacted the rack as tight as I am willing. While I do have a number of Bolt action rifles the Levers, Pumps, Shotguns and Muzzle loaders are quite narrow and the rack is set up for that. To attempt to gain room for 1 or 2 rifles by pulling Bolts for storage somewhere else would require rebuilding almost 1/2 the rifle rack which would be a big undertaking. Its a good idea though just not in my application. I have thought about the option of creating storage in the floor via a trap door. Or on the Ceiling using something like a Truck rack. The Walls are either full of shelves or other storage.

Looks to me like your only "good" option is another safe. Sounds like floor space is a problem. I understand the problem of too much stuff (you have no idea how much I undertand) in the way. As always, what's the priority? If course another safe creates other issues. Nature abhors a vacuum.;)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top