JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was on the verge of selling off my Smith & Wesson 686 Performance Center (5" barrel, 7 round 357magnum) as my shooting was poor, and did not seem to get better with practice. I have red dots on all my Sigs, but not on the revolver, and with my lousy eyesight I just couldn't make the switch very well to iron sights from the increasingly skilled shooting I am capable of with my Sigs. Frustration, then finally put the 686 on my "to sell" list.

By accident, I found red dot mounts exist for revolvers (you probably knew that, but I did not!). Found an Allchin mount that seemed to work with 686 and Romeo3. It was an easy install.

I tried, just for fun, to see if a spare Romeo 1 Pro might work. It seemed like it fit. I screwed in the torx mounting screws...then they got stuck. As in, no move anymore in either direction. Feared that I ruined the optic and would have to destructively remove it...but though, heck, if it's stuck on, maybe it'll stay on when shooting. Took it along with my new CTK shooting rest to sight the red dot and see if it would hold.

It worked! Got it sighted, tried shooting with normal stance, and I was more accurate than I've ever been with a revolver. Almost as good as with my 9 mm P226! I regained my confidence in it, and the 686 now stays.

Two photos below show the gun at the range. Thought I'd share that the R1P can be used with a S&W. It changed my experience with the gun completely. Hopefully this can help other eyesight-challenged revolver owners.

IMG_1290.jpg IMG_1287.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads