JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Purpose Built Preparedness Community?

• Perfect idea! Alright, lets do this ...

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Maybe, I'd need to know the specifics.

Votes: 18 41.9%
  • Maybe, but I'm highly skeptical.

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Eh, no, it rarely works out.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Nope. I'm the Lone Ranger.

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Bizarre even by your standards, CG. Just no.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • (Gasp!) Preparedness!? The government will save you.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • (Burp) Um, wut wuz duh ques'n (Fart!) eh-gain?

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
Run it like the Military (mostly) and it could do well!

This. Given my age arrogance, my pretty much life long self employment, 10 years in the fire department, 5 of those at officer level, I like calling the shots. The only place I could yield there is to other command level, executive types who have proven skills and leadership ability.

We have a family group that would be together if there was some kind of SHTF crisis, and I could easily take and do take direction from my military, LEO and fire service children. I don't think I could cooperate with individuals that did not have that level of training or experience, and certainly am not interested in discussing things or have group meetings to reach consensus on how we are going to survive.

I just try to know my neighbors well enough to know who's prepared and who I can trust, and will get with them if needed when the time comes. It would be better to have it all organized ahead of time with solid plans in place, but our current culture doesn't seem to embrace that, and people's lives change and they move on.

My focus is on others who subscribe to the Christian faith since I know we're all playing from essentially the same "rulebook", and I pay attention to all the Mormons I meet since they already have a like-minded group in place.

Cerdaindeaf beat me to it, but I think the Church of LDS already admonish such a thing to do in their communities?
As in having stockpiles, preparedness and so forth.

Pretty sure some of this would be considered "another Tuesday" in the Amish and Mennonite communities...

Otherwise, yeah it's gonna be pretty difficult to get a group of people who may not agree on anything if there isn't a robust leadership structure in place.

@JustSomeGuy, very interesting. How did it come about? Who drafted up the document? Thanks. :)

It actually got started formally by my grand dad. All but one of us are 3rd, 4th or 5th generation owners. The "new kid" picked up the property he's on from a 3rd generation owner, and being like minded had no problems signing on in his place after reviewing the documentation.

So, it's been a work in progress for decades.

Maybe your family, not mine. My blood family are a bunch of oportunists, liars and thieves.

Not a chance!!! Maybe some of them but most are lazy azzes.

True friends then.

Not acquentences and such.

Friends trusted as family, whom trust you equally & recognize whom not to be trusted. eg your families, in this simplistic example.

And likewise, you would already know whom is not to be trusted in your friends circles.

It actually got started formally by my grand dad. All but one of us are 3rd, 4th or 5th generation owners. The "new kid" picked up the property he's on from a 3rd generation owner, and being like minded had no problems signing on in his place after reviewing the documentation.

So, it's been a work in progress for decades.
Your situation is as close to ideal as I can imagine!

I've never been a fan of communal type situations. However, I'd love it if all my neighbors were prepared and liberty focused so that in a SHTF scenario I wouldn't need to feel like I'd need to turn away or defend myself against them. So for me, an organization and purpose built community? No thanks. Surrounded by independent and like-minded neighbors? Sounds good.
This.

My neighbors will all go to seed thinking I am taking care of them and there will be plenty for all, but there is no good defense in this neighborhood so I will be rolling off to another location with things they have not bothered to learn how to use.

I didn't vote because the option "I'm sick and tired of trying to drag people to train with me let alone willing to pretend I can rely on them with sh!t goes sideways." was not available.
Amen! (I will shut up in just a minute)

For two years I brought people who had relevant knowledge and the ability to present information, to share once a month in the same location in Forest Grove, and the attendance was embarrassing. I would be happy to put the hours again if I had a reason to believe it was going to be of service.

One 'trouble" with preparedness is that it doesn't matter to many people....
Until the need of being prepared slaps them in the face...:eek: :D

Now if the truth be known I had lazy eye as a kid and now its moved to my whole body....
So I ain't prepared as I ought to be with some things...but , still a little can go a long ways at times.
And I am improving....:D
Andy

Humans have formed themselves into communal units since the dawn of our species. Be it tribal, religiously or philosophically oriented (e.g., the Hutterites, Oneida Community, the Rajneeshees, LDS and offshoots with concepts of "United Order", et al.), for deliberate survivalist purposes (e.g., the aforementioned 80s group, ones outlined in various other, more contemporary, literature) or, naturally, various, other social constructs.

I work a job for the Hutterians a few years back and had the opportunity to break bread and talk with one of their leadership over the course of that job was a blessing to me at a time in my life I needed it.

I was amazed at the structure and self reliance these people had built. But the one thing we could not agree on was the position of self defense...I could not understand that level of pacification, and he could not explain it in a way I could accept.

I saddens me to think how quickly they (could) loose it all to the evil in this world if that s..t ever hits that fan.

I will not go into to much detail, but I literately was raised in a "preper community" The hippies had their commune's and we had our survivalist community.

The problem- nothing ever happened. Oh sure, members tried to keep the hype alive. There was a g-man around every rock and we were always being monitored (probably not). But the real reason it all fell apart, was the Russians didn't nuke us, the cities didn't collapse and the masses didn't run to the hills, the end of the world never happened and the kids grew up moved away and got their own lives (me).

So sure, the idea does work, but just not forever.
I understand this all too well.

I work a job for the Hutterians a few years back and had the opportunity to break bread and talk with one of their leadership over the course of that job was a blessing to me at a time in my life I needed it.

I was amazed at the structure and self reliance these people had built. But the one thing we could not agree on was the position of self defense...I could not understand that level of pacification, and he could not explain it in a way I could accept.

I saddens me to think how quickly they (could) loose it all to the evil in this world if that s..t ever hits that fan.

Very interesting and such a blessing. I did a deep dive into Anabaptist theology a long time ago in that era I found comparative religion fascinating. I even attended, for a spell, an old school Mennonite congregation. They were some of the nicest, most loving, most inclusive people I ever met. I never formally joined for a multiplicity of reasons, but I am glad for the experience and wish them well, because those were some truly beautiful souls.

All that said; agreed on the Pacifism notion. I do not care for violence or war. Alas, however, it is necessary. There are truly evil people in this world and many of them cannot be stopped by anything other than brutal violence. Sometimes even gentle souls have to engage in said even though it hurts them deeply.

Finally, to anyone who is intellectually curious about the Hutterites, with respect to their history, theology, and present situation, I recommend this tome:

hutterite.jpg

Blessings, friends. :)

Well, being the guru of a sex cult will always be the dream for some of us.

I can't seem to make the text larger. If it is something from Rawles', familiar with, but not even remotely a fan of his work.

I can roll with the underwear thing. Not so much the teetotalism and lack of sailor talk.

Woah, wait, six to twelve wives? Sign me up, pronto!

"When you first get a sex slave it's like Oh Cool this is just like owning your own carnival ride. After six months, you realise you are nothing more than a maintenance man for a carnival ride."

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top