Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Purchasing guns after gun rights restored

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by ajshep, Feb 4, 2013.

1. ajshep

ajshep North Oregon coast New Member

10 years ago was convicted of a class b felony. In sept. I petitioned the courts and got the prohibition to posses and purchase firearms lifted with no limitation on the firearms. My lawyer talked to the Feds and they said they would follow state orders. Now my question is anyone here been through this process or know anyone that has. My main concern is when I try to buy a gun and they do the background check. The state had 30 days to update there data base on me. The state don't worry me though as much as the Feds. Sure they said they would follow state but will they really. I dont want Feds showing up at my door. Should I be concerned or will evry thing go as they say.

2. eganx

eganx Kingston WA Active Member

I was denied on my first purchase after having m rights restored. A quick call by my FFL to the NICS and he was told in a round about way that I needed to call the state patrol. They still had a flag in their system or some such thing. It was as easy as that. I continued to get delays for the next ten purchases or so. Before all this I got my CPL, so that helped with getting the FFL to assist in questioning the NICS woman. Good luck to ya!

3. Kevinkris

Kevinkris Aloha Well-Known Member

i would say buy from a private owner and show the document that shows you have had your rights restored for their comfort.

4. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Buy from a FTF transaction. No other step necessary.

rur862 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

You will most likely be delayed, but it you wait it out they will update all the databases. If you get denied you can challenge it. Either way you will get the gun and the system will be corrected so you don't have to go through it again.

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If you have gone this far see what happens. If you get hung up then work towards the UPIN (Unique Personal Identifier Number) that would be my two bits.

7. ajshep

Thanks for the input. I just don't want any surprises or Feds showing up at my house. I realize there may be hold ups and delays. The state had 30 days to update there data base but don't know much at federal level. I do cary my paper work still when I'm out with guns just in case. 10 years without guns was the worst punishment I could ever receive. Sitting in prison for 2 years sounds better to me. Up till about 4 months ago I didn't think I would ever be legal agin. I'm very protective now of my rights and dint wanna do anything that may risk losing them agin.
    What does FTF stand for?

8. Kevinkris

Kevinkris Aloha Well-Known Member

FTF = face to face

we say it here as a private in state transaction.

9. eganx

eganx Kingston WA Active Member

FTF means face to face.

Congrats on having your rights restored!!! Thats a big deal man.

10. ajshep

I thought thats what FTF stood for just wanted to verify. Thnx everyone

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.