JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I finally found a rifle that I have been wanting on here NWFIREARMS. The thing is it's a private party(Of course) so how would one go about it so that I am protected? I understand it has to go to a FFL but, what I'm asking is how do I make sure that I do not get ripped off and if the unfortunate happens, how can my I protect my funds?

If you are unable to meet face to face for the transaction, proceed with caution. Ultimately, you have to determine if you and the seller can trust each other. You to send payment. And then them to ship the rifle to your FFL. If possible, I'd check the serial number with the state police to verify it's not in the database of stolen firearms before purchasing.

Check their feedback, if they have been on here a long time, with lots of good reviews, I would feel comfortable with it. Ship to your FFL of choice of course. Ive sold a few shotguns and rifles to guys on here down in Oregon. Last one was $1400. I sent him a copy of my drivers license, ccw, and a short video with me and the gun to make him feel a little more confortable with the transaction. You cpuld also do an image search of the gun to see if it pops up anywhere else.

I finally found a rifle that I have been wanting on here NWFIREARMS. The thing is it's a private party(Of course) so how would one go about it so that I am protected? I understand it has to go to a FFL but, what I'm asking is how do I make sure that I do not get ripped off and if the unfortunate happens, how can my I protect my funds?
You really can't. Since you are not buying with a credit card you are taking a risk. Does seller have good feed back? Been around for a while? This will help if they do but, you are still taking some risk. Once you pay the gun gets to your FFL its yours now. So make sure the deal is good enough to take the risk.

If you're really worried about it, don't do it. I have done it both ways over the years with no problems. But do your research first!

Life is not guaranteed not matter what the Nanny State would have us believe.

I usually check their profile to see if they only post in the classifieds or if they have a reasonably active 'social life' on here as well as a way of determining how real and reliable they might be

As everyone else above stated. Its a matter of trust, I got a couple of firearms from a friend in CA and he didn't even have to go through an FFL, just send a release notice/no longer in possession form in CA, send it through the appropriate means to an FFL of my choosing in WA and process it from there. I'd have a really hard time trusting someone else that wasn't a close friend with doing a personal sale like that from out of state.

It's unlikely that another member will ship to a brand new account with zero feedback.
Last couple times I was selling I did not care about that, only the way I was going to get paid. I had several reach out wanting me to ship which was fine with me. My way of doing it was they would pick an FFL here, and make some kind of arrangements with them. So when I walked in the FFL would hand me cash and take the gun. Of course no one wanted to do that due to extra cost. Several wanted me to ship to the FFL near them after sending me the money. I just said sorry, no. To me it just was not worth the hassle to find out if the FFL they were using was legit, and me having to find out if the payment they sent me was legit before I let the gun go. This shipping a gun and getting paid by money order or such is just too much for my taste. I know a lot of people do it all the time but, for me? Its just not worth it for something I can sell locally if I really want to sell it. Its really a damn shame this has been made such a hassle. I all my life loved being able to buy something to play with, sell one thing to try something else and being able to buy stuff used at a better price. Being used never meant anything to me as every damn gun I ever buy new is only new until I can get to the range with it

What state is the gun in?

Use Postal money orders with an unknown individual. Then if there's a problem the postal service will investigate. I've bought dozens of guns from across the land, but most folks I had known from the net for a long time and didn't hesitate to send cash. They in turb, often would ship when they got an "I'll take it" and said I sent the ducats. Internet handshake. Trust is a good thing. PAX

Get their phone# and establish communication is a big one. Do they have a solid reputation here? As I live a few states away, everything has had to be sent to me. I pay with a usps money order and send it priority (tracking#) so I can see when it arrived at their address. Anything I ship is shipped via my FFL dealer. The more people involved the better, in this case. If a firearm goes AWOL shipped from one FFL to another, the chances are pretty good that the boys in (really, really dark) blue will get involved.

I repeat myself- but communication is a huge deal when working on the net.

Zingger

I've done it with upstanding members on the forum. That said, don't buy something for more money than you are willing to walk away from. You'll understandably be pissed if you get ripped off, but if you can't turn around and drop the same amount on a different gun, I wouldn't do it.

This threshold is different for everyone as we're all in different financial situations. For me, typically $1500 is about the most I trust someone I don't know with, but that's more my really pissed threshold than momentary loss.

Use Postal money orders with an unknown individual. Then if there's a problem the postal service will investigate. I've bought dozens of guns from across the land, but most folks I had known from the net for a long time and didn't hesitate to send cash. They in turb, often would ship when they got an "I'll take it" and said I sent the ducats. Internet handshake. Trust is a good thing. PAX
PMO's are only protected from loss of the PMO. They dont investigate disputes over condition of items sent or received.

USPS MO, good idea but don't expect a timely response.

PMO's are only protected from loss of the PMO. They dont investigate disputes over condition of items sent or received.
This has got to be one the most often repeated "hoaxes, or just plain poor information" that is regularly posted to gun groups. That USPS M/O are somehow a "safe way" to pay. The only investigation they are going to do is if the buyer says the damn thing never got to where it was going. If the seller cashed it all they are going to do for the buyer is tell them it was cashed. I have watched for decades now people telling others its somehow "safe" since its sold by a gov agency. I guess with information at their fingertips anyone who gets burned any more only has themselves to blame. Still hate to keep seeing people post over and over again how these things are a safe way to pay. :s0092:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top