Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Purchasing a new firearm through an FFL (shipping question)

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Weebs, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Weebs

Weebs Clackamas County Member

I may be purchasing a new rifle through an FFL I know and he's stating that I have to pay $40 for shipping. I have never been charged for shipping by a FFL before and I'm working if this is an attempt by the FFL to obtain additional funds from me.

If it looks like a fish and smells like a fish...

2. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Dan-Dee Sales Inc Sweet Home, Oregon, United States Active Member

It all depends if he figured shipping into the price he gave you. We have places that shipping is included and some that charge for shipping and using plastic, but $40 seems a bit high to me. $20-$25 maybe. Depends what insurance costs him.

3. Weebs

Weebs Clackamas County Member

With this particular FFL I have never paid a shipping fee. Thanks Dan, I'm going to ask a couple people who have bought from this guy in the past and see if they've been charged!

4. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I recently had a rifle shipped UPS ground to me from an FFL in TX to my FFL here and it cost me about $40. FWIW, you pay for shipping on everything you buy one way or the other. It's just that sometimes it's a separate line item and other times it is just rolled in to the price of the item.

5. foothills

foothills Covington WA New Member

Depends on what you're buying too.
    Most long guns ship regular UPS for around $20...Distributors have to ship Handguns by 2nd day air (Federal requirement) and that usually runs around $40 - $45 bucks. Thats why special ordering usually costs more. The dealer has to figure in the additional shipping. If he orders 5 guns from a distributor he can spread that $40 out over the 5 guns.