JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Went to my local Fred Meyer store today.

Was in the grocery store section. I see a late teenage or early twenty year old walk by me, open up the doughnut cabinet, grab a maple bar and proceeds to eat it.

I stopped in my tracks with a little bit of shock and watched him continue walking and eating it all the way to the Star Bucks lounge section of the store where he had finished eating it and hung out with his friends. I am pretty sure he did not pay for it. I stared him down but he never made eye contact with me. I wanted to approach him and give him a friendly "did you pay for that" reminder (remember, his theft raises the prices of ALL goods for honest people like me and you!). I kind of was pissed. I wanted to grab him by the ankles and shake him until the $.89 for his maple bar came out. But, I had my two little boys with me and did not want to get in a confrontation. Anyhow, what would you do?

I was thinking about this more and this punk will probably continue to help himself (steal) in many various ways and he will get caught. But, there will be many victims on the way, which pisses me off. He is going down the path of a smash and grabber and eventually will get caught....

Then, I thought of the Banksters and our Fascist style government that steal from honest citizens via taxes and bail outs on a grander scale and realized my doughnut boy is not necessarily the problem.

Anyhow, rant is done. Thanks for listening.

Peace...

PS. I also now believe that perhaps a lot of theft is done by people who are lazy like my doughnut boy. So, if something is easy to see/obtain/pickup or out in the open, they will go for it. These smash and grabbers are lazy and feel like they are owed something without working for it. IMO.

I was in Fred Meyer's awhile back and a guy was filling his backpack up with tools. Got the manager and pointed him out and he got a ride in a police car. I hate it when I walk around and see packages hanging on the racks with nothing in them! But like said it seems to be easier to steel then work.

.. I didlike your post but, I hate young punk kids and I think itwould have been a greatlesson for him.

I stole when I was younger and was caught. I paid a hefty fine, got my butt handed to me via my parents and was grounded for the better part of a year, also it further inspired me to get my very first job (just so I could get out of the house in the summer time).

It was a great learning experience. I knew it was wrong, but it taught me personal responsibility accountability work ethic (believe it or not because of that first job) also my dad took me aside and as a business man lectured me on small business and how I would feel if someone stole from him. I said Id be furious and understood what he meant. Now sure, super huge corporations could probably afford it but wrong is wrong and I always think back to how I would feel if someone did that to my family or my business.

Went to my local Fred Meyer store today.

Was in the grocery store section. I see a late teenage or early twenty year old walk by me, open up the doughnut cabinet, grab a maple bar and proceeds to eat it.

I stopped in my tracks with a little bit of shock and watched him continue walking and eating it all the way to the Star Bucks lounge section of the store where he had finished eating it and hung out with his friends. I am pretty sure he did not pay for it. I stared him down but he never made eye contact with me. I wanted to approach him and give him a friendly "did you pay for that" reminder (remember, his theft raises the prices of ALL goods for honest people like me and you!). I kind of was pissed. I wanted to grab him by the ankles and shake him until the $.89 for his maple bar came out. But, I had my two little boys with me and did not want to get in a confrontation. Anyhow, what would you do?

I was thinking about this more and this punk will probably continue to help himself (steal) in many various ways and he will get caught. But, there will be many victims on the way, which pisses me off. He is going down the path of a smash and grabber and eventually will get caught....

Then, I thought of the Banksters and our Fascist style government that steal from honest citizens via taxes and bail outs on a grander scale and realized my doughnut boy is not necessarily the problem.

Anyhow, rant is done. Thanks for listening.

Peace...

PS. I also now believe that perhaps a lot of theft is done by people who are lazy like my doughnut boy. So, if something is easy to see/obtain/pickup or out in the open, they will go for it. These smash and grabbers are lazy and feel like they are owed something without working for it. IMO.

People get conditioned to think its ok I think. His friends probably did it too so he just thinks 'whats the big deal?'. I have a number of friends who think its ok to borrow and copy music. They get really defensive when I point out that its a copywrite theft and no different from stealing it off the shelf at the store (except in that case the store sees a loss as well as the artist). They have been conditioned to not see the problem with it. Which is no excuse. Ticks me off when even good folks don't seem to care.

I understand your rant, seen it before and I dislike it. parents these days do not teach their children "consequences" I am raising two boys and they have to earn what they get, and when they do wrong they get in trouble. Respect and common courtesy is the other big one That children are not taught.

I agree.
I saw a boy in freds a couple years ago he was maybe 10years old I saw him stealing a lacey pair of womens underwear. I just laughed out loud though about saying they didn't look like his size. But I just went on my way

I would report a theft to store management. Those stores are wired up with cameras, they would have caught him on tape. Getting busted might have been just the thing this kid needed to pull his head out of his arse.

A few years back I was at Costco and was by the 10# boxes of gapefruit when I noticed an older lady jamming her boxwith as many extra grapefruits as she could. Is she a "smart shopper" or tthis kids Grandmother? The grapefruits are now in net bags!

Your rant sucked - from a shoplifter to fascist goverment. Give me a break.

I eat things now and again in the store, muffin, maybe some jojo's, whatever.

I also pay for it when I leave. Mind your own business, Mr. Busybody.

As for all the other rats in this thread, nobody likes a tattle tale.

Freds has loss prevention people on duty.. immediately contact store personnel and inform them, just keep an eye on the perp so he can't easily vanish

Your rant sucked - from a shoplifter to fascist goverment. Give me a break.

I eat things now and again in the store, muffin, maybe some jojo's, whatever.

I also pay for it when I leave. Mind your own business, Mr. Busybody.

As for all the other rats in this thread, nobody likes a tattle tale.

If you eat them before paying no one knows what your intentions are. I also report people I see stealing.

If you eat them before paying no one knows what your intentions are. I also report people I see stealing.

Loosen your panties. I am supposed to behave a specific way in public so random nosey people can interpret my intentions?

Give me a break.

I have never had a cashier ever say a word, or even blink twice when I told them. Ever. Nor has any employee said a word to me while eating something in front of them in a store while I was shopping.

Talk about the thought police and thinking the worst of a person.

"Live and let live, unless I think you might not pay for that donut!"

Loosen your panties. I am supposed to behave a specific way in public so random nosey people can interpret my intentions?

Give me a break.

I have never had a cashier ever say a word, or even blink twice when I told them. Ever. Nor has any employee said a word to me while eating something in front of them in a store while I was shopping.

Talk about the thought police and thinking the worst of a person.

"Live and let live, unless I think you might not pay for that donut!"

Under normal circumstances the employees will not say anything to you UNTIL you've made it past the register and are ready to leave. This is because they cannot prove intent in a court of law. You could stuff you pockets with stuff and as long as you're in the store, technically you have not stolen anything.

Counterpoint:

I was sitting at a Fred Meyers recently, when 2 kids got something at the deli and then wandered out the door. I and the deli clerk noticed and we were set to give chase, but they were on bikes and we figured it was a lost cause over a couple corn dogs. 5 minutes later, they show back up with a "sorry, we forgot to pay for these."

See, not all kids are punks.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads