Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Pullin' boolets, which way is better?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by darkminstrel, Sep 18, 2011.

1. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

I've got some rounds to tear apart and re-work due to low powder charges and am wondering which method is best for PLATED bullets; the kinetic 'hammer' style or the press mounted style.

The crimp is very light but the plating, I've learned, is pretty fragile. I don't mind just tearing out the projectiles if it comes to it, the whole lot would come to about $1.30 in value so it's not a great loss.

2. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

with plated I would go with the Kentic Hammer. Only way I ever pull boolets. Sometimes it amazes me that thing doesn't break I have to wack it so hard.

3. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

I used to use a kinetic puller but found it to be slow and frustrating. After I broke the head off my last one I just tossed it in the trash and bought a Forster Collet type puller. It grips the bullet about 356 degrees (just guessing as there are 4 small slots to allow the collet to expand or contract) and I've found it to be fairly gentle to all bullets I've pulled. I just tighten it enough to grip the bullet, not deform it. Also have to make sure there is no lube on either the bullet or in the collet but a quick swab with Rubbing Alcohol takes care of that.

A collet type puller does require a caliber specific collet but they're fairly inexpensive. The setup will last forever and is, in my opinion, far easier than the kinetic "Whack a Mole" bullet pullers that have to be disassembled and emptied after every bullet is pulled.

4. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

My kinetic puller worked well with plated bullets. As deadshot2 made clear, they do have their disadvantages.

5. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I just disassembled 49 30-06 rounds last night with an RCBS kinetic hammer. It all worked fine, but I beat on that block of wood enough to cause a big dent! I'm sure it would have been faster is I had the use of a collet puller, but I don't.
    I usually don't have to pull a quantity like this apart, but my new rifle has a tighter chamber than my old one. It was either give the ammo to my nephew, who owns my old rifle, or whack them apart. Once I checked the price on a box of Partitions, I gladly started whacking. Geez! $40 for a box!

6. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Most pull pistol round with kinetic pullers and rifle rounds with collets.

7. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

Well I couldn't find a collet puller at either store I stopped in at, found the collets but not the actual die they fit in. Grabbed a hammer and pounded out 60 rounds in an hour. The family hates it but at least I'll recover the components.