JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So as promised I used some of the pulled pork from last week to make up a mess of tamales today...

First step is to get your corn husks soaking... Try and pick husks that are uniform in size.. I didn't pick these up so there were severeal different sizes in the back making portioning a challenge.. When starting them don't try and seperate them just get them in some hot water and get them going..
DSC_0057.jpg

Toss a plate and something heavy onto to hold them down.. I didn't get any pictures of them seperated as my hands were soaking wet.
DSC_0058.jpg
This step should be done very early in the process ~2hours prior to starting jsut ot make it easier to work with them...

While those were soaking I took the left over PP and placed it in a pan added the reserved defatted liquid from the Butt Smoke, added in ~1c of Cherry Chipotle sauce and ~ 2-1/2c of Apple Cider, also added 1/4c or so of Ron's Hint of Houston.. Reheat the pork over low heat.. you dont want to boil it just extract some of the pork goodness into the stock...
DSC_0056.jpg

Once the PP is warmed run through a colinder and drain off as much excess liquid as possible..

The Masa (4c Masa, 2tsp Baking Powder, 1tsp Salt, and 2TBSP Big Ron's Hint of Houston)
Whisk together in a large bowl..
DSC_0062.jpg

Use your hands to mix in Lard... I used 1 1/3c Butter Flavored Crisco
You want it to be about the texture of play sand... Think making pie crust...
DSC_0064.jpg

I transferred it to my Kitchen Aid to to make things easier... Once there I took ~2-1/2c of the cooking liquid I had saved from the original smoking and mixed it with 2 cups of Apple Cider.. Total liquid was about 4c the dough was just a little loose so 3-1/2 - 3-3/4c would have been better.
DSC_0067.jpg
DSC_0069.jpg

Now that your Masa is made, the husks are workable, and the pork is warm its time to start assembly... Now would be a good time to get your steamer heating up.. you want as much water in there as you can get w/o touching the tamales.

I did 2 kinds plain PP and PP with some Green Chili's
DSC_0071.jpg
DSC_0073.jpg

Once you have enough rolled for the 1st batch place them upright in the steamer.. Try and leave yourself a small hole so that you can add water throughout the cook.. Takes about an hour and a half to 2 hours for them to get cooked... You want the masa to pull easily away from the husk as you unroll it...
DSC_0072.jpg

Once they are cooked remove to a plate and cover with a towel.. you could store them in a towel lined cooler if you are a bit away from dinner and them just pop them back in the steam for 10-15min to reheat just prior to serving.

The finished product with a little homemade Chili sauce... 2 Green Chilil's, 3 Chipotles, 1Tbsp of Adoboe Sauce, 2tsp Garlic, 1/3c Apple Cider Vinegar, 1 can Fireroasted tomatoes... Puree in blender or food processor until smooth...

DSC_0074.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads