JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To keep it easy. Since you are smoking it. When it is done, shred it. Buy some of the taco seasoning packets. And heat it up in the frying pan like the directions on the packet. However, I would cut the amount of seasoning at least in half, maybe even down to 1/3. This adds a mild taco seasoning flavor without overpowering the flavor of the smoked meat. You can use your regular pork rub for smoking, maybe add a some cumin.

Carnitas are my thing. Peruse recipes. The real thing has fresh squeezed orange juice/with the rind. And Mexican Coca Cola. Of course the obligatory Mexican oregano and cumin and? I fresh grind the seed in an old coffee grinder. Buy the Mexican oregano and ground cumin in the little packets for cheap in the Mexican section at the store.

Don't trim much of the fat off the pork butt unless it's really thick. Chunk the butt up in slightly smaller than fist size pieces. If you were to cook it the day before and get a big griddle to finish it for serving day of. Use one side of the griddle to soften corn tortillas and have a bar with the chopped white onion/lime wedges/a thin sliced cabbage slaw/cilantro/jalpeno green sauce, any other toppings you see when looking at all the recipes. I

I'd stay away from dumping a bunch of some sauce, rubbing anything on the pork, or smoking it. That long, traditional cooking process gives you a really great meat and the crisping slightly on the grill really brings out the sweet porky goodness. Some of the cooking liquid is added to the shredded pork before going on the grill. The onion, cilantro and lime are all that's needed, but other stuff wouldn't hurt. Oh, something else we always use for such things is that delicious, firm, salty, stinky Mexican cheese! Cojita! Not the Queso Fresco.

I made myself hungry.

As a side some nice Mexican black beans. This recipe KILLS. The flavors are crazy good in this. The fact that you are cooking the beans all the way through the process with the original water. And all the fat, garlic and bay are so blended together you don't taste any one thing. Could easily be cooked ahead too.
Abuelo Peláez's Frijoles Negros (Black Beans) Recipe

With this recipe I don't bother soaking over night, just cook longer.

Last Edited:
As a side some nice Mexican black beans. This recipe KILLS. The flavors are crazy good in this. The fact that you are cooking the beans all the way through the process with the original water. And all the fat, garlic and bay are so blended together you don't taste any one thing. Could easily be cooked ahead too.
Abuelo Peláez's Frijoles Negros (Black Beans) Recipe
I got excited about these beans and then when I clicked on it, they want you to sign up for NYT Cooking.....NOT

I got excited about these beans and then when I clicked on it, they want you to sign up for NYT Cooking.....NOT

Oh! Dirt bags! Well, I guess I used up my allotted free views! I noticed on a link to NYT posted earlier to day it said something about my 4th free access or something like that. But I'll tell you, if all you've got to do is register and not pay any money. The beans are worth it.

And boiling or pressure-cooking as well.
What kind of heathen would boil ribs ?

Exactly!;)

In reality I've spent more time in SW WA then down south now so I guess I'm a northern redneck, but those southern food preparation techniques are bone deep and how I was raised.

Nothing wrong with all y'all that use shortcuts and such, most probably wouldn't know the difference unless it was side by side against wood smoked food cooked for a lot longer.

I used to get up at 2am on the 4th of July to cook an 18lb brisket for 14-15 hours because that's the closest I can get to Texas brisket but the last few years I've just not had that in me with another 6 hours of fireworks but since I'm feeling better with the new diet I might just do that this year.

I think Treagers are cheating but I can't fault the convenience of it:rolleyes:

Shelby's.png Shelby's in Washougal has some pretty good brisket.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top