JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
several rounds i reloaded did not lock into the chamber, i pulled the bullets and resized and measured the shoulder and neck they where still .060 over the max from spec, i thru them out. now i have bullets with some scars on them not all, i thru them out also, will use pulled bullets for practice.

If they are .060 over max length at the neck, a case trimmer will fix ya right up. If they are .060 over at the shoulder you need to adjust the die down and size them again.
If you want to leave the primers in you will need to remove the de-capping pin from the die first, and be sure to wear your safety goggles/glasses just in case.

I'd go over your die adjustment instructions again and make sure you are doing it the way the Mfr recommends. .060 is a lot, so double check everything.

If they are .060 over max length at the neck, a case trimmer will fix ya right up. If they are .060 over at the shoulder you need to adjust the die down and size them again.
If you want to leave the primers in you will need to remove the de-capping pin from the die first, and be sure to wear your safety goggles/glasses just in case.

I'd go over your die adjustment instructions again and make sure you are doing it the way the Mfr recommends. .060 is a lot, so double check everything.

i have the case just short of full extension with the handle

If you check your instructions, I think you will find that you are supposed to extend the ram all the way up and screw the die down until it touches the shell holder.
Then lower the ram and screw the die in 1/8 to 1/4 turn more, and tighten the lock ring.

If you don't have them you can print RCBS instructions out here:
<broken link removed>

If this is your first attempt, I suggest you go with the die maker's instructions, and work out the refinements after you are more familiar with the process.

If you check your instructions, I think you will find that you are supposed to extend the ram all the way up and screw the die down until it touches the shell holder.
Then lower the ram and screw the die in 1/8 to 1/4 turn more, and tighten the lock ring.

If you don't have them you can print RCBS instructions out here:
<broken link removed>

If this is your first attempt, I suggest you go with the die maker's instructions, and work out the refinements after you are more familiar with the process.

i have loaded about 100 rounds so far, my set up was right on the instructions sent thanks, the brass i had problems with was used and could have been to old to shoot any more, i think i will stick with new brass, not tht costly for the safety factor.

i have loaded about 100 rounds so far, my set up was right on the instructions sent thanks, the brass i had problems with was used and could have been to old to shoot any more, i think i will stick with new brass, not tht costly for the safety factor.

If the shell holder doesn't touch the bottom of the die at the top of the ram stroke, then your set up is not right.

The handle should lightly "cam over" at the top of the ram stroke.

a trimmer is a must when reloading rifle ammo.Usually it's the expander ball that pullls the neck out when lowering the ram.Polishing the ball or lubing the case necks can help,but a trimmer is still a must have.
size,then measure and trim as necessary.
After trimming most folks use a hand chamfering tool to clean up the burrs,and to chamfer the case mouth on the inside a LITTLE bit for easier bullet insertion.

If you are only neck sizing, you can get away with getting one of those bushing type neck sizing tools. They use sized inserts so you only size the neck down to the level you need to hold the bullet. This works really well if you are case neck turning (as all the case necks are the same thickness) but can be a PITA otherwise. I know winchester, remington, and federal all have wide variation (between the manufacturers) as far as the thickness of the brass at the case neck. However, I consider this tool a must, if you are really trying to squeeze every last second of accuracy out of your ammunition.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top