JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you graduated in 1976 you most likely were not required to sign up for the Selective Service. There was a window for a short period at that time when it wasn't required - I think because the war in Vietnam was over so they didn't need people very badly.
I do believe that every young person should be required to do some kind of service that teaches discipline - I'll bet if they did they would not be out screaming in the streets like toddlers during school hours, because the adults who had served when they were young wouldn't allow them to waste school time doing it.

I graduated in 1976 right here in Silverton and I can remember very clearly standing at the window to the High school office filling out my selective service registration card and then dropping it off at the Post office.

I graduated in 1976 right here in Silverton and I can remember very clearly standing at the window to the High school office filling out my selective service registration card and then dropping it off at the Post office.

They may have allowed you to register, but it was not required. Here is the scoop from Wikipedia:

"On March 29, 1975, 38th President Gerald R. Ford, whose own son, Steven Ford, had earlier failed to register for the draft as required,[23] signed Proclamation 4360 (Terminating Registration Procedures Under Military Selective Service Act), eliminating the registration requirement for all 18- to 25-year-old male citizens.[24]

1980 to present[edit]
On July 2, 1980, 39th President Jimmy Carter signed Proclamation 4771 (Registration Under the Military Selective Service Act) in response to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in the previous year of 1979,[25] retroactively re-establishing the Selective Service registration requirement for all 18- to 26-year-old male citizens born on or after January 1, 1960.[26] As a result, only men born between March 29, 1957, and December 31, 1959, were completely exempt from Selective Service registration.[27]"

Source:
Selective Service System - Wikipedia

If the left think that these kids aren't mature enough to own a firearm until they are 21, then wouldn't it make sense to raise the age to vote also? I don't want immature kids voting in the US. That is more dangerous IMHO than a kid with an 'assault" weapon.

Military and law enforcement exemption.

im currently at red lobster in salem with my wife. two couples sitting next to us (im assuming parents mid 70s and son/wife mid 30s) talking about the walk out and how stupid people are, not wanting ip43 and wanting the state of jefferson and how they all would move there. i like like-minded folk :D

they looked over at me and my wife, i nodded. :D

If you graduated in 1976 you most likely were not required to sign up for the Selective Service. There was a window for a short period at that time when it wasn't required - I think because the war in Vietnam was over so they didn't need people very badly.
I do believe that every young person should be required to do some kind of service that teaches discipline - I'll bet if they did they would not be out screaming in the streets like toddlers during school hours, because the adults who had served when they were young wouldn't allow them to waste school time doing it.

I was speaking of the kids today.

We need to worry about Ted wheeler and cuck brown here in liberal Portland. I'm worried as we're turning into California corruption politically. They can't repeal the 2nd but they sure can get the sheep to follow raising age to 21 and banning "assault weapons". Now more than ever as Portland has half of California moving here.

I was speaking of the kids today.

AH HA! I had to look on the internet to see if men today have to register with Selective Service. They do, even though there is no draft. You're probably right about kids today not registering. They seem to be a very immature group of folks today - it's sad and is a threat to the survival of the nation. All the photos of their marches show them with big gaping mouths as they loudly demand this and that like spoiled little kids - which is EXACTLY what they are.

AH HA! I had to look on the internet to see if men today have to register with Selective Service. They do, even though there is no draft. You're probably right about kids today not registering. They seem to be a very immature group of folks today - it's sad and is a threat to the survival of the nation. All the photos of their marches show them with big gaping mouths as they loudly demand this and that like spoiled little kids - which is EXACTLY what they are.

If need be I'll re-up & do all I can for this country, snowflakes be damned.;)

I went to Northwest Armory right after work to get my 10 PMags on sale in honor of the snot nose walkout. I struck up a conversation with another customer who mentioned that his son was required to participate and faced punishment if he declined. Didn't say which school other than it was in multnomah county

I went to Northwest Armory right after work to get my 10 PMags on sale in honor of the snot nose walkout. I struck up a conversation with another customer who mentioned that his son was required to participate and faced punishment if he declined. Didn't say which school other than it was in multnomah county

That school (and district) is opening themselves up for a lawsuit by a parent, if it was required.

I'm also very curious about those students that were at the City Hall. If they left campus without a parent checking them out (if they are under 18) that would be truancy. If it was for a school function, they needed a signed permissions slip to leave campus.

I had to have a permission slip to walk my students the 4 blocks to the library, when I taught English.

What they said on the news today was that while teachers were not allowed to protest during working hours they were allowed to accompany students for their safety (hint, hint, nudge, nudge, wink, wink...)

One of the schools in Albany walked out, about 60 of them. One of them was quoted as saying "every year tens of thousands of Americans die from gun violence and this year tens of thousand more inevitably will unless we do something to stop it". I'm wondering where they got their figures from. Complete article in the Saturday April 21 Albany democrat herald.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top