Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Public praise for BiMart

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Natty Bumpo, May 14, 2009.

1. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Clackamas County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I want to express my appreciation to BiMart for their policies during this apparent ammo shortage.

First, they have not raised their prices above historical levels. This is in contrast to other vendors who have, in some cases, doubled their prices. While they no longer have "sales", I can easily live with that during this period.

Second, they have instituted a four box per caliber per transaction limit in an effort to allow all shooters access to the available supply. That is a good start but a strict reading of the policy implies that a person could walk out the door with their purchase and walk right back in again and again and again......effectively circumventing the intent of the policy.

I would suggest that they substitute a 250 round limit per day (all calibers included) per person. That would allow a greater availability of fairly priced ammo to all shooters. That would also eliminate the differences in rounds per box problem.

Those needing the ammo bad enough (as I do) might willingly visit the store(s) more regularly and perhaps also buy a few other things as well.

Finally, I remain pleased that they continue to stock guns and ammo. So many other large volume local businesses no longer do. Volume purchasing results in lower prices. Small shops may not be able offer the consumer their share of that competitive advantage. That warrants my appreciation as well.

I intend to write their corporate headquarters with these comments. I have also decided to give them (and will tell them so) much more of my ordinary business in appreciation.

Those other businesses taking advantage of the situation will also not be forgotten. Sure, it's capitalism........or whatever the so-called justification is.............but that can work both ways.

2. orchemo

orchemo Portland Active Member

The Gresham store had primers today. Large rifle mag and large pistol mag.
    Limit 2 boxes (200) per customer.

3. ORBrit

ORBrit Eugene Member

Bimart is the store I frequent more than any other. It rocks!

I waited at the counter for an hour and a half on Monday when I found out that the truck was in and they had ammo.
    By the time the ammo was being sold, and I was first in line, there were a total of 12 people also waiting for ammo.
    I declined my right to purchase 4 bulk packs of .22LR and settled for just 1, in order that everyone there who wanted .22LR could have a box.
    250 round limit could be tough when .22LR most often comes in bulk packs.

The multiple transaction loop hole isn't really an issue - there's just not enough ammo left after the initial group of customers to leave enough for anyone to really abuse the 4 boxes per caliber per transaction policy.

4. 284guy

284guy Woodburn Member

I think the limits are silly. I have no problem sharing, but when I need ammo and its on the shelf I should be able to buy it, afterall thats why the business is open. A group of 10 of us planned a 7 day sag rat hunt. We figured a brick a day for each hunter would have to due, thats 35,000 rounds! Do you have any idea how much driving around, time and gas are wasted buying 4 bricks here, 6 bricks there but most often coming home empty handed because a few people complain that theres no ammo on the shelf saturday afternoon? Im all for sharing and not taking anymore than you need ( i just left 300 rounds of 9mm on walmarts shelf tonight) but if you need it and they have it, they should be able to sell it to you. By the way we sold off the small amount of leftover ammo we had after coming back from trip #1.

5. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

I agree in my appreciation for them not raising prices and for still carrying guns and ammo.

My wife and I are already giving them more of our business. We go there first every week just for normal shopping, for the things that they carry.

6. tionico

tionico Thurston County Well-Known Member

I think BiMart's limits are a lot more friendly than Walmart's six box total. At least, if BiMart have what I can use, I can stock up on several calibers in one visit, and not clean out their entire stock of something, leaving some for the next chap who uses the same. Before the limits, folk were sauntering in, loading up a hundred boxes, sauntering out... next poor sap coming in gets to lean across the counter and read the fine print to see if perhaps something remains he can use.....

I do think some adjusstment for carton content quantity is in order.... long gun ammo come twenty rounds the carton, pistol in fifty, and some rimfire in 400 or more. When they do have the Megapacks (I've not seen one in months now....) is the limit on them also four per caliber? If so, I'd sure like to walk in just when the shelves are restocked in these.... let's see, 9mm, 38, 40........

7. emanon

emanon SE Portland, Oregon Member

I have mixed feeling about their ammo policy but in general: I love Bi-Mart! They are by far my favorite chain store. Now if they would just start selling handguns...

8. PDXGS

PDXGS Aloha... yes, Aloha, Oregon Member

BiMart sucks...like Oregon....nobody should go there...bad things happen...
    I'll make a point of giving them feedback next time Im in there buying nothing....except my usual cart of ammo, plano cases, targets, cleaning supplies and bullets!:D

Yeah, Bi Mart is an unusually calm place that reminds me of the way retailers operated 20+ years ago....where the customer came first.

9. uscsoldier

uscsoldier Salem, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I guess no more 22LR value packs of 500:eek:

10. timbernet

timbernet Boring, Oregon Member

They said I could buy 4 Megapacks...

... I only bought 2 :)

11. krowek

krowek Portland New Member

BiMart is great, I have bought ammo from them for a long time; I special ordered a rifle from them last week, it was the fastest and easiest firearms transaction that I have ever had. BiMarts firearms deptment reminds me of a Coast to Coast store I shoped at when I was a kid.
    I will always purchase for BiMart first before I go to any other Mart store.

12. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Clackamas County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

250 is just an number.....maybe 500 rounds is more appropriate. But a "box" could consist of anything from 20 rounds of CF rifle to 525 rounds of .22.

So a "round" limit rather than a "box" limit might be more consistent. The issue for me is fair access for consumers to limited quantities and fair play in the marketplace.

13. buyamonkey

buyamonkey West vancouver WA Member

I really like Bi-Mart as well good people and if you come in a few times looking for ammo, they remember who you are and if they have some in the back they'll go get it for you or look through the delivery to see what there. Agreed on the Rounds vs boxes argument. I just bought 4 boxes of .556 from bi-mart which is only 80 rounds and if they would have had it I would have bought 4 boxes of 9mm which would have been 200 rounds.

22 is a bit of a conundrum on the rounds vs boxes though, I'm sure we can somehow all get along out there and do some shooting... if you've been going through and buying ammo here and there instead of waiting until the day you want to go up in the hills. :)

Happy friday

14. ehunter

ehunter Hilllsboro Oregon Member

Bi mart is our only choice on the Westside now that Joes has closed but then again they have always been the first choice:D I like the fact they are limiting the amount that can be bought at one time.

15. probasco

probasco abeaversboro Member

employee owned, the greatest wayto get good customer service

16. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

Our bimart in washougal is great place to shop alos,but they're not getting ammo like I"m reading about others getting.:(
    Hope that changes,and I do check in there several times a week hoping to spot powder and primers,no luck so far.

17. speelyei

speelyei Willamette Valley Active Member

I like Bi Mart, and indeed, they have not raised their price. That being said, I can't remember the last time they had IMR 4064, 3031, primers, or .22 bulk ammo. Not since February in my neck of the woods... what good is a fixed price on a phantom item?

18. pease

pease Stayton Member

I got a couple boxes of 223 at the Bi mart in Stayton but haven't seen 22 in a long time.

19. tionico

tionico Thurston County Well-Known Member

Having chatted up a few of the gun counter managers, the individual stores get their stock from the Bu Mart central warehouses.... they order what they want, and get what the warehouse sends them. Seems the problem is the ammo distributors supplying the BiMart corporate warehouses. I wonder whether they use only one or two distributors, or whether the distributors themselves are playing games. Seems Cabelas and a few other retailers get what they want..... shelves always mostly full. No limits. Prices a bit higher, but they HAVE it. Sportsmans is going through the throes of a buyout and reshuffle.... so they are letting what inventory was there dwindle down.

I almost wonder whether places like Bi and Wal Mart are being singled out... they haev done a great job of supplying arms and ammo to the public at low prices for a long time. They HAVE to be buying in huge quantities.... but consider Cabelas with how many stores nationwide? Each of them as big as the Lacey's store?

There is something going on behind the scenes that we can't see.... and no, I'm generally NOT the one to fall back on "they're after us" theories. But, of late, the whole firearms situation has gotten "vewwy scwewy", to quote someone else who often made use of arms in HIS work.....

20. Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam Willamette Valley, OR Member

I say, has anyone seen that lop-eared varmint 'round these parts? :D (See my forum name.)

BiMart is my favorite store for a lot of the reasons mentioned. The one near me hasn't seen much ammo lately. I do hope the supply situation clears up before management decides to "repurpose" the shelf space...

-- Sam