JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm sure this is illegal Seattle.

<broken link removed>

Artists use grant for gun violence movie ahead of Nov. vote
By <broken link removed> Published: Oct 1, 2014 at 5:27 PM PDT Last Updated: Oct 1, 2014 at 7:59 PM PDT
<broken link removed>
SEATTLE -- Two local filmmakers made a gun violence movie using a grant from the city, and they hope it has an impact on the November election.

Voters will have a choice between I-594, which would require people who buy guns online or from private parties to undergo a background check, and I-591, which would prevent Washington from adopting any rules more stringent than required by the federal government. The filmmakers said their movie is not about picking sides on the gun issue, but about starting a conversation.

The theme of "The Statistician" is the randomness of gun violence and how people barely seem concerned.

"It examines our American acceptance of the inevitability of gun violence," said Ron Richardson, the film's director and co-producer. "It holds up a mirror to the notion that we look at gun violence kind of like the weather."

Mass shootings like the one at Seattle Pacific University in June, followed by a rash of gun violence in Seattle this summer, was enough to convince Richardson and co-producer John Longenbaugh that a story needed to be told.

"And once i figured out what I wanted to say, it all came pretty quick," Longenbaugh said.

The artists crafted a minute and a half movie using a smART Ventures grant from the city's Office of Arts and Culture. The panel reviewing applications was looking for public safety themed projects that fit with Mayor Ed Murray's push for a "Summer of Safety."

"When this opportunity came with Summer of Safety, and the mayor asked departments to help us respond to a pretty frightening level of violence that was happening in our community, we saw a way to engineer this funding program," said Randy Engstrom, the director of the arts and culture office.

The crew on "The Statistician" said rental fees for film equipment came from the smART Ventures grant, which taxpayers support through a city admissions tax.

The filmmakers say the grant helped them move quickly and capitalize on the upcoming election, in which voters will decide on I-594 and I-591.

"What we want this film to do is not to say, 'Well you're right or you're right,' but to say 'This is something we need to discuss,'" Longenbaugh said.

"The Statistician" should be released in the coming days through YouTube, Vimeo and the filmmakers' website at Battleground Productions.

City officials say smART Venture grants are still available, and applicants no longer need a public safety theme to apply.

141001_movie_big.jpg

I'm in Idaho, so this comment is rhetorical.

If there is a videographer in any of the organizations associated with NWFA, then that person should apply for a grant to make two movies: 1) one that illustrates graphically the results of an attack in which the lack of a firearms left the victim helpless, and 2) one that illustrates an attack that failed because the intended victim was armed.

If Seattle refuses to grant, then sue the city for discrimination, and the film makers for a injunction to stop dissemination of their video.

Gotta play hardball. The enemy plays for keeps.

It appears people in the comment section are pursuing the issue. Hopefully something positive comes from their efforts. It's obviously illegal what Seattle has done with the money.

Well, I even discussed this in my examiner column, but yesterday I chatted with a nice lady at the Seattle office that gave the grant.
There's apparently no mention of either measure in the 90-second video. The grant was for $500 to rent camera equipment.
I seriously doubt that the city had anything to do with the way this was reported. Joel Moreno is a pretty good reporter, so I don't think he misquoted anybody or assumed something that wasn't there. The video story speaks for itself.

As I write below in Examiner, my honest opinion is that this was a poor choice of words, not a misuse of public money, and we ought to reserve any further judgment pending release of the video.

Has media launched 'second front' for Wash. gun control measure?

Today's Daily Olympian carries a story asserting that controversial Initiative 594 "doesn't create a gun registry," while yesterday's Everett Herald endorsed the 18-page gun control measure, and Saturday's Seattle Times carries an op-ed piece touting I-594's passage.

<broken link removed>

dont forget here in oregon we have a group using state funds to fight against measure 91. the group is openly against it but claims they are using the funds to "educate" people about how bad of an idea it is. of course thats not gun related but the same kind of issue stated above. although its corruption at its finest, at least they arent doing much worse things. we still have a chance at keeping our civil rights.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top