JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All the above info on etiquette is right on, so I don't have much to add. I should say use caution when approaching someone who is already using the spot. I've found it's best to stand and call from a distance to ask if you can approach (or to ask if you can share the lane). Some people may go on the offensive if they see someone approaching unannounced.

Otherwise,

Have fun,
Be safe and
Trash No Land!!!

Going to do a shameless plug here since @Mrlomeli mentioned trash and clean-up.

Aug 13th we will be doing a clean-up at Mary's Peak at 9am. Great people, great food and great prize give aways.
See the tread in outdoor shooting areas.
Thank you
@Cogs has been promoting.
I think that's the clean up I was considering going too. Is Mary's peak open?

Also have at least one member of your group on Overwatch at all times, rotate the responsibility. With the walking dogcrap around here, PPE like a vest or carrier and plates can't hurt.
@Mrlomeli The reason I note this is over the past few years, there have been several murders at popular shooting spots. Having one of your group armed and watching your backs is only prudent, and I suggest always having a spare War Loads mag or two for one of your weapons at all times so you can just slap it in if Tony Trouble decides to crash the party. (This is also why I suggest always having an AR pistol in the same caliber as your rifle... loaded rifle mags in car makes the game wardens get cranky, but if those same mags fit a pistol you have along with a CCW they have nothing to say.)

• Don't be an A-Hole and shoot at other people's targets
  • Don't shoot glass or anything that's going to break into a million pieces because there is no way you are going to pick up all those tiny pieces
  • Pack out ALL of your targets and trash. ALL OF IT.
  • Try to grab extra trash. Shooting areas are getting closed left and right because of inconsiderate A-Holes who make a mess of the areas and don't cleanup after themselves. Leave the place better than you found it if you can :)
  • Fire prevention is no joke...especially in the summer time. Boolits do funny things when they hit things. You should have an extinguisher, shovel and rake at a minimum when shooting in the wild
  • Give people their space if you are able. Don't setup right on top of, or next to somebody if there are other empty places available
  • There have been cases of theft, violence, and murder at shooting spots. It's good to keep an eye out, and a loaded gun on your hip at all times. Posting a rotating lookout as someone else suggested is a good idea. Pay close attention to people who may setup right on top of you if/when there are more open spaces available
  • Be safe and have a quality first aid kit on your belt or at hand

• Don't shoot glass or anything that's going to break into a million pieces because there is no way you are going to pick up all those tiny pieces
  • Try to grab extra trash. Shooting areas are getting closed left and right because of inconsiderate A-Holes who make a mess of the areas and don't cleanup after themselves. Leave the place better than you found it if you can :)
  • Fire prevention is no joke...especially in the summer time. Boolits do funny things when they hit things. You should have an extinguisher, shovel and rake at a minimum when shooting in the wild
  • Give people their space if you are able. Don't setup right on top of, or next to somebody if there are other empty places available
  • There have been cases of theft, violence, and murder at shooting spots. It's good to keep an eye out, and a loaded gun on your hip at all times. Posting a rotating lookout as someone else suggested is a good idea. Pay close attention to people who may setup right on top of you if/when there are more open spaces available
Great list !
The 8 Commandments of Shooting on Public Lands

Appreciate it. I hear Noth fork wolf creek gets crowded
it can be but i use it regularly and seems about every 3-4hours is the cycle of people shooting.
ihave arrived at 6am packed and came back at 10am they were packing up..

Si ive had luck @ 10am, 1 pm 3:30pm and 5pm seem to be shuffle times.
i have found that almost everyone up there will slide over to let you in.

Of course pick up your trash.

PS. IF YOUR UP THERE ON #3 LANE I WILL PERSONALLY VENMO OR SEND YOU A GIFT CARD OF 25.00 IF YOU PACK OFF OLD MATTRESS WITH PROOF OF REMOVAL!!!

Great list !
The 8 Commandments of Shooting on Public Lands

Oops...
Andy

it can be but i use it regularly and seems about every 3-4hours is the cycle of people shooting.
ihave arrived at 6am packed and came back at 10am they were packing up..

Si ive had luck @ 10am, 1 pm 3:30pm and 5pm seem to be shuffle times.
i have found that almost everyone up there will slide over to let you in.

Of course pick up your trash.

PS. IF YOUR UP THERE ON #3 LANE I WILL PERSONALLY VENMO OR SEND YOU A GIFT CARD OF 25.00 IF YOU PACK OFF OLD MATTRESS WITH PROOF OF REMOVAL!!!
I don't think that's gonna fit on my 1990 buick lesabre but I'll happily take more trash than I brought

How about if your shooting area is close to the main road that passes the shooting area you stop shooting until the vehicle driving by is a reasonable distance away? That car driving by might have an anti-gun politician in it. A lot of people shooting on Larch Mtn. East of Vancouver are guilty of this.

How about if your shooting area is close to the main road that passes the shooting area you stop shooting until the vehicle driving by is a reasonable distance away? That car driving by might have an anti-gun politician in it. A lot of people shooting on Larch Mtn. East of Vancouver are guilty of this.
Good point. The cars driving by, observing your shooting set up, most likely will not be politicians, but more likely someone who hates the idea of guns in the woods. They are the ones who complain to the forest agency the most. The complaint will be exaggerated and will sound more like "bullets flying over our head" and "guns pointed at my kids in the car"!

Besides that, it is rather polite if you stop shooting while they drive by because they probably don't have ear protection and their windows are down. We wouldn't want them to claim hearing loss too! But on the other hand, there's a lot of traffic on a nice weekend day and you may not get much shooting time if you pause for each car.

(Most all the shooting spots, in The Burn on Larch, are next to main roadways.)

Planning on going on a Monday or Tuesday so I'm hoping there won't be much traffic or people partaking so I can feel a bit more relaxed

Weapon safety rules.

Treat.
Never.
Keep.
Keep.

Know your target and what lies beyond it.

Bring out the biggest gun with the loudest brake/comp on it. Really profess your toxic masculinity to the crowd.

Planning on going on a Monday or Tuesday so I'm hoping there won't be much traffic or people partaking so I can feel a bit more relaxed
Dude! With all the advice you got here, you otta be the most etiquiteese guy out there! (is that even a word?) Gotta make a Tik Tok on your etiquitness!

Have a blast, man! :s0010:
:s0085:

Also, don't shoot the trees. They may get angry and charge.

elsie

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads