JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay guys been awhile since i've been on here. I have 2 questions for you all, first, what do you prefer the AR platforms or the HK platform. I would like to hear from anyone that may have shot both, does the AR-10s have a lighter kick than a PTR91? How do they compare for accuracy? I have a PTR in .308, I have achieved a 3 shot group with winchester BT 168 grain ammo at 189 yards of .75 inches center to center with a tasco 9-45x56 scope. I am assuming accuracy is similar in ARs. my bigger question is about kick. I also recently put on a magpul stock instead of the sidefolder but have not had a chance to shoot it.... will this stock help with kick? since the gun never felt like it fit right and does now.

I also am wondering about the rubber buffer. it has a neck on it that i believe the wider end goes forward toward the barrel. but after buying the rifle i believe it was in backward with the narrow end forward. does anyone know the correct placement?

I am getting ready to purchase a new gun for my wife. She has shot my PTR and does not seem to mind the kick at all. she also wants her own rifle. I am just looking for info on whether i should trade my PTR in and get 2 AR10s or keep mine and get 1 more PTR. HURRY BEFORE POTUS wont let me get one!!!!

Had both the AR-10 has alot less recoil. BUT if you get an adjustable gas block or tube is even less recoil.

PTR is not in the same class as the AR-10 which has better recoil, trigger, controls.

Well i love my PTR but i had a feeling and have a feeling that is what i will get from anyone that has shot both! Right after i posted this i smacked myself in the forehead and said DUHHHH!!! I have a wife that LOVES guns, i'm sure i can convince her to let us get matching AR10s and worry about "selling" the PTR later :s0155: I am hesitant to give it up even with the recoil as i have heard average groups for the ptr were 2 to 3 inches at 100 yards and once in awhile you would get lucky and get a really accurate one. Mine is extremely accurate so i dont want to really give it up. of course i cant remember ever giving up a gun i really didnt wish i kept later :s0114:

A friend has a DPMS heavy barrel LR10? that shoots sub MOA easily.
Can't tell ya about the AR kick but I see no problem with my G3 clone's recoil

I kinda want an AR platform 308 now. Or the Sig 17? (I can't even afford to pay attention to the sig models)

I don't know if I would get rid of that PTR. That is very good accuracy for that platform. It may kick a little harder than an AR and screw up the brass for reloading but they are a proven battle rifle. My 2 cents is to hold on to it and get an AR 10 and maybe an AR 15. The AR-15 will give you alot more trigger time for the money and the wife will love it. I have Rem R-25 (rebadged LR-10) and it is a real shooter as well so get one of those as well. See how easy it is for me to spend someone elses money. Good luck.

I own and have built ARs and I am a certified roller locked HK fanatic. I'll try to list some pros and cons and a little advice on accessories for the PTR (BTW those groups are excellent, my HK 91 and PTR 91 do 2 MOA with irons or Eotechs and I'm a hard holder)

PTR/HK pros:

Steel weapons, very rugged and reliable, work better under adverse conditions

Mags are cheaper

Top flight German engineering

Heavier caliber (unless you go with the 93 and 93 clones)

With an A3 or side folder, more compact

HK/PTR cons:

Heavier

Ergos not as good as an AR15, but not that bad

Recoil worse unless you add the buffer I will suggest

AR15 pros:

Lighter weapon

No worries surplus parts/mags will dry up some day (unless they are banned)

With 5.56 you can carry a bigger loadout

Better ergos and more aftermarket goodies (not all of them worth buying)

Be careful about make and quality, you can go from good to bad with the amount of $ you spend

AR15 cons:

Lighter caliber

More delicate weapon, especially the collapsing plastic stock models

Mags generally more expensive

Less tolerant of grit and grime/field conditions

~~~~~~~~~~~

Suggestions for your PTR..

Ghillie buffer.. he is GhillieBear over at the HK PRO forum (I have the same handle there) and RTG parts sells them. You will need to drill your A2 or Mag Pul stock a wee bit deeper, but it's just polymer and easy to do, even with a hand drill. I would recommend a wood bit set, they are cheap at harbor freight tools

Buy German claws NOW. They are apparently drying up and you'll want a spare for different optics. I have high quality scopes, Eotechs mounted on them and plan for thermal when I can afford it.. would be nice to have all three in the field

Install a tritium front sight.. cheap and effective

On the Magpul stocks.. I would use one on a long range weapon, but not for general CQC. My PTR is being set up as a support weapon/DMR, so it gets the PTR stock soon. I would go with an A3 or side folder for CQC
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The AR10 is not battle tested but the Hk 91 design is

LOL. @Osprey spending someone elses money! Thanks Blitz on german claw advice i'll pick a couple more sets up. i have one on my rifle currently. It seems the only solution is to own a couple of each the PTR, the AR-15 and AR-10. The guns really arent cheap but doable, but i always forget how expensive all the goodies can add up for each rifle! Thanks on advice for the recoil buffer. I also like the ergo's on the PTR now that i have the Magpul stock on it. I still have the sidefolder just in case but for a CQ setup i think i'll stick with the AR-15.

General rule by those in the know is to spend as much on optics as the rifle itself cost you and buy German or US high quality

If you are on a budget then Nikon is good kit, too

For CQC in the real deal make mine Norinco AK47 7.62 x 39 with quick detach Bushnell TRS 25 red dots and tritium BU irons

My gal's basic CQC will be AR15 5.56

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top