Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

PT92 vs 92FS your opinions?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Krazyrngr, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Krazyrngr

Krazyrngr Tacoma Member

Well I was talking with some people the other day and told then that I would like to add a 92fs to my soon to be collection one day and they were tellin me to go with the taurus model, they were talkin bout how much better it was built then the beretta. Granted I like the looks of both cuz they look like the same gun, just wanted to hears others opinions on these to handguns? Thanks

2. I personally own a 92FS Inox. While I like Taurus revolvers, I've never been a huge fan of Taurus autos. The Beretta just seems smoother. If the Taurus was any better than the Beretta, the military would've adopted those when Taurus bought the Beretta plant in Brazil.

The same plant doesn't necessarily mean the same materials put into each gun. I like the Beretta.

3. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

I like my M9. If you like the safety style of the Taurus then get it but I dont think its better.

4. Taurus 617 CCW

Taurus 617 CCW Northern Idaho Member

I have only owned the Beretta 92. I have not had good luck with Taurus auto loaders. Beretta has been around longer and has been perfecting the 92. You can get a used 92 for about the same price as a new Taurus 92.

5. NWGUNGUY

NWGUNGUY Portland Oregon New Member

I bought a used PT92 and I really like it. I thought I would not like the wide grips but it is easy to get used to. The sight on mine is starting to wear a little thin as well. I also prefer not having the safety on the slide (like the Beretta). The magazines are easy to find and relatively cheap (found some new 15 rounders for $15). A good place to learn more about Taurus products is taurusarmed.net. I don't have any experience with the Beretta so I can't help you there. Good luck with your choice.

6. Rapid1

Rapid1 Eugene Member

I've owned both. I still have the Taurus. I got the 92fs first, liked it fine but had an opportunity to pick up the PT92 pretty cheap. the beretta was finished nicer, looked better but, in the end, the taurus shot just as well. also, I liked the safety on the taurus better and another friend wanted the beretta and offered me a bit more than I paid so I sold it and never looked back. I put some hogue grip panels on the pt92 and while Im not sure if they are thinner or not, it made the grip about right for me.

taurus gets a bum rap mostly but mine has been with me a long time, been shot alot, and never had a single issue. every time I read that taurus is junk I just laugh...

while I haven't done it for a while, my favorite trip with this gun is to head over to Christmas Valley in January/February, as long as there's snow on the ground, load up half a dozen mags with my 115jhp reloads and walk thru the pucker brush and shoot bunnies. I can go all morning with my jacket pockets full of mags. great practice and probably one reason I shoot the taurus as well as any gun I have.

7. crabman21

crabman21 Wilsonville,Ore Member

I own a pt92 and a pt101 and love them . shoot good and never had a jam in either of them. like the decocker and safety position better then the berretta.:thumbup:

8. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

"It's the safety, stupid!" Sorry, I could not resist a wisecrack. I used to have a Taurus PT92 and will forever regret being forced to sell it. Never a single issue in hundreds of rounds of all types and brands. The sights could be bigger, but I MUCH prefer a frame-mounted safety that naturally sweeps DOWN to deactivate. The Beretta has a chrome-lined barrel, but a lame slide-mounted safety that goes the wrong way. I put on Pachmyer wrap-around rubber grips and it was just purrrrrrrrrrfect!........................elsullo :thumbup:

9. accurateone

accurateone Eastern Washington Member

Taurus OVER Beretta, What are you guys smoking?!
    Every Taurus I've had new or used has had issues.... Like the New ss carbine that FTE most brands of ammo & stove piped the rest. The snub nose that hits on end of cylinder... new out of box. The next one I upgraded to that the Cylinder release catches... and you have to fight it to open the cylinder... or the 'High End" 'Titanium" 357 that the whole crane & cylinder fell out in my hand with the third set of rounds at the range..... Wow What quality! I mean WHAT, WHERE is the quality?
    Switched to S&W, GLOCK, Ruger.... they are all better... even their low end ones!
    Berreta, Love 'em. It's not just the fit & finish, it's the whole Quality mentality of the company. Face it Taurus, IMHO, is low end... it would be fairer to compare them to say, a "Jennings" saturday night special. The military hasn't risked their lives behind a Taurus (and there is a reason for that, usually summed up as milspec.)... but they have the Berreta.
    Think about it.
    A1:D:D

10. Rapid1

Rapid1 Eugene Member

LOL...I knew there would be one...

11. I was the first one, I was just nicer.:D

12. shoggoth80

shoggoth80 Greater Seattle Area Member

I owned a PT92 a while back. Great gun for the money. It was an older one, produced in the early 1990s, and still had the frame mounted safety (which I liked). Had one of the smoothest slides I have ever felt. Fed any ammo I tossed down the pipe, never jammed. Taurus gets a lot of smack talk from people. Many of which never owned the particular model in question. I sold my PT92 to fund a big revolver (that I no longer have because the apartment I was living in at the time got ripped off). Wish I didn't sell it, but in hindsight, it would have been liberated along with other things.

If money is tight for you, opt for the Taurus... if your budget is a little higher, and you like the safety, snag the Beretta. Nothing wrong with either of them.

13. SVT-ROY

SVT-ROY Tigard Resident Beretta guru

I think only the die hard Taurus guys would recommend it. Although I've never tried the Taurus knock off. I only rely on my 92fs. But then again I have 3 berettas and only 1 Glock. I guess it comes down to budget and if you want a new gun vs used.

14. batcat6

batcat6 Vancouver, WA Member

I recently bought a Taurus PT 99 AFS in stainless. Had one mag. Got it fairly reasonably priced with holster. Found Beretta stainless mags at CTD for cheap. Put a Dremel to the mag catch slot to fit the Taurus and I got 4 extra mags to fit for real cheap. :D
    I haven't fired it yet. Used to have a Taurus 66 revolver and had to get rid of it since it could shoot a decent group. My Smith 686 shoots fabulous. I swore I wouldn't get another Taurus until everyone praised the new guns till I got this one. We will see! ;)

15. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

In all fairness, the Taurus PT92 is NOT a knockoff of the current Beretta! It is in fact the original Beretta design, which Taurus bought when Beretta decided to change it. Taurus also bought all of the Beretta tooling machinery for that gun, so essentially the Taurus PT92 IS a Beretta. Comparing other more recent Taurus designs to the original PT92 is like comparing apples and oranges..........................elsullo

16. 9MilMan

9MilMan Milwaukie Active Member

The 92fs is a classic that every collection should have (I have no experience with the Taurus). My 92 has been flawless and is the smoothest operating pistol I own and probably the most accurate. There is a reason it is still the standard military side arm after 25 years (or thereabouts).

17. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Essentially, the Taurus is an old Beretta model that Beretta improved upon. Taurus then bought the old patent and started producing the out of date model. They took it to Brazil and cut more corners to produce it. How could this ever be an improvement over the Beretta? Taurus guns will just never be as good as the old patents they buy out (S&W revolver designs and Beretta auto pistol design). They seem more interested in cutting costs and corners than in providing a quality product. I've owned both, and Taurus products always leave me wanting...

18. MilesTeg

MilesTeg Troutdale, OR Active Member

19. Crispy

Crispy WA Member

I have some trigger and armorer time with the M9 service pistol, and as much as it might pain me to say it I like the M9 (92fs). I have found them to be solid, reliable and accurate firearms. It is not often that I come across a honest to god "down" (broken) Beretta even after spending years as a armorer for a SEABEE battalion an as an instructor on USN ranges. Like anything else pick the one that fits you and you like the best and run with it.

20. asiparks

asiparks PDX Active Member

Beretta at 6, Taurus at 12.

Both are older models before they started getting peppered with plastic triggers and suchlike.

I can only speak to mine, both are equally well made and equally accurate. Both have been completely 100% reliable. During their life with me, neither is likely to get "shot out". I maybe have 2K through each of them.
    The taurus has the smoother trigger pull in DA, but in SA mode it's a wash. Newer models may well be different.
    I by far prefer the taurus safety system and the fact it can be carried either cocked and locked, or with a round chambered and the hammer down.

That said, if you want one"just because", pick up a good used one, then if the novelty wears off, you can pass it on. For a gun that I was going to use to any degree, I'd get a CZ 75 or a Browning way before I'd get either the Taurus or Beretta.

As regards to military procurement, doesn't mean that the Beretta is better or worse, it simply means that they submitted a pistol that passed the mandated testing, that they were willing to set up a US based manufacturing and supply chain, and that they could deliver X quantity of pistols at Y price on time.
    Taurus was not invited to submit a pistol for testing.