Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

PSl Muzle brake broken weld

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by rshoemaker, Apr 24, 2011.

1. rshoemaker

rshoemaker Downtown Seattle New Member

Well did some shooting on friday, finaly had time to break it down and clean everything today.

I found the weld had broken on the bottom of the muzle brake. Now I have to reweld it. One problem I have is that I dont want to do it in correctly. Should I take it to a smith to reweld it? I do know how to weld and all that, but Never had done it on a firearm. What could go wrong with just tacking it back into place. It has a spring loaded pin holding it on top, and the weld on the bottom that I can line the crack back up on and tack it.

2. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Why do you need or want it welded in place if the detent spring that holds it in place is functioning? Mine was never welded and the detent designed to hold it in place works to keep it on mine........

3. rshoemaker

its staying on but it wobbles a bit when touched, not realy bad but, i dont want to have a loose piece on the end of the barrel.

4. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Fair enough. Originally they were not welded, think it is a thing to make them compliant in states like CA.

If it wobbles do you have it tightened down enough? I is a left hand thread and if tightened down all the way should not move. Something worth checking.

5. rshoemaker

Yea. I probably should get it welded since I might be moving to the peoples republic of kalifornia. Lol. Also unless I grind the weld off I can't turn the brake.

6. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

You can retack it, but you need to use a TIG setup so that you can control the heat. Also, using a heat-sink would also help. You just want to make sure that you don't get the barrel too hot when welding and screw up the heat treat...

7. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need a suppressor!

8. rshoemaker

I have a foot peddle controlled miller tig welder at work that I am going to use. I would love a suppressor on an m4. Not really wanting to muffle the psl. Besides if I end up moving to the PRK I would be in hot water lol

9. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

I'm jealous. I'd love to have access to one of those bad boys. Haven't had one that nice since school...

10. rshoemaker

It is nice I use it mostly for sanitary stainless welding