JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thought this might be of interest....
Since it seems like people are frequently inquiring about firearms training, here's a list of tactical firearms training companies in Oregon. (And a couple from WA) Companies that only offer CHL/CC training classes were omitted. Most all of them have been verified by other industry instructors.
I am not affiliated with any of the companies, but have taken classes from a half dozen or so.

If you know of other companies in OR or WA that I could add to the list, let me know.

NW Self-Defense Education
Red Frog Team
Immediate Action Concepts
Knight School, LLC
Kagwerks
Oregon Precision Firearms Training
Defensive Firearms Instruction
Spartan Training Concepts
Stoneridge Tactical Academy
Thunder Ranch
Iron Sight LLC, Oregun
Threat Dynamics
3 Rivers Ammo
BABS Firearms Training
The Jacobe Group LLC
Advanced Firearms Training LLC
Tritac Shooting
Code 9 Firearms Training
Critical Balance Shooting Acadamy
Best Defense Training LLC
Rouge Protection Group
R.E.A.C.T. Training Systems
540 Tactial Solutions

In WA:
Firearms Acadamy of Seattle
Cerberus Training Group
One Chance Tactical Solutions

Last Edited:
Thought this might be of interest....
Since it seems like people are frequently inquiring about firearms training, here's a list of tactical firearms training companies in Oregon. (And a couple from WA) Companies that only offer CHL/CC training classes were omitted. Most all of them have been verified by other industry instructors.
I am not affiliated with any of the companies, but have taken classes from a half dozen or so.

If you know of other companies in OR or WA that I could add to the list, let me know.

NW Self-Defense Education
Red Frog Team
Immediate Action Concepts
Knight School, LLC
Kagwerks
Oregon Precision Firearms Training
Defensive Firearms Instruction
Spartan Training Concepts
Stoneridge Tactical Academy
Thunder Ranch
Iron Sight LLC, Oregun
Threat Dynamics
3 Rivers Ammo
BABS Firearms Training
The Jacobe Group LLC
Advanced Firearms Training LLC
Tritac Shooting
Code 9 Firearms Training
Critical Balance Shooting Acadamy
Best Defense Training LLC
Rouge Protection Group
R.E.A.C.T. Training Systems

In WA:
Firearms Acadamy of Seattle
Cerberus Training Group

One chance tactical solutions in WA.

Unfortunately, there seems to be more people "qualified" to train than want training.

There's well over 100 NRA "coaches" listed by NRA in my zip-code alone.

It's really just far too easy to get certified. Kinda like it's just too easy to get a driver's license.

10-15yrs ago having someone "NRA certified" meant something. Nowadays it means nothing. Not that the level of certification has dropped, just that there are far more qualified people instructing.

Unfortunately, there seems to be more people "qualified" to train than want training.

It's really just far too easy to get certified. Kinda like it's just too easy to get a driver's license.

And it's just like buying anything else, it is the consumer's responsibility to be informed.

The good thing is most are willing to help out at the range .
Had this happen a week or so ago .
A NRA INSTUCTOR.
was at the range and was helping out or he gave us some good FREE basic pistol help

They are good. They used to be the one of the few large(ish) training facilities in the NW with the largest variety of classes. It would be worth the drive from Seattle.
If you do a search of the forum I think you'll find quite a few reviews of their classes.

Was at FAS (Firearms Academy of Seattle) the week before Christmas, co-instructing some LE firearms instructors...FAS is being sold or taken over by Belle McCormack, one of the instructors. Not sure when the transition will be, and how much input Marty will have after that.

@Lilhigbee I started using google to search the forums and found some good resources! I'm still trying to figure out where to go to build some fundamentals since Insights Training doesn't take beginners for their Defensive Gun Use class.

@Cerberus Group Do you think quality of their instruction will change at all because of that? :/

I think it will get better, as Belle had some good ideas to upgrade the facility both building and instructors as well as having some famous guest instructors... she mentioned that John Farnam would be there next year.

I met Marty when he and I were at Morton Police Dept back in the 80's. He may not remember me, as I didn't have a lot of contact with him.

Training...
Two things:
One , I am not certified as a "trainer"...but I have taught many folks of various backgrounds , genders , ages , and even countries on the basics of firearm safety and shooting...

Two , while not what most folks would call "tactical" , I am very happy to answer any muzzleloading firearm question that I can and if you ever see me at a range or at one of my displays...I'd be happy to give a shooting lesson as well.

I mention this not so as to "toot my own horn"....but because muzzleoaders can be a mystery to many folks.
Andy

Training...
Two things:
One , I am not certified as a "trainer"...but I have taught many folks of various backgrounds , genders , ages , and even countries on the basics of firearm safety and shooting...

Two , while not what most folks would call "tactical" , I am very happy to answer any muzzle loading firearm question that I can and if you ever see me at a range or at one of my displays...I'd be happy to give a shooting lesson as well.

I mention this not so as to "toot my own horn"....but because muzzle loaders can be a mystery to many folks.
Andy

Please "toot" away! I've found some very good instructors in some odd places...some better than some of the big name people.

Don't be shy throwing your hat in the ring...if I come across some folks that need some muzzle loading mentoring...I shall send them your way.

I think it will get better, as Belle had some good ideas to upgrade the facility both building and instructors as well as having some famous guest instructors... she mentioned that John Farnam would be there next year.

I met Marty when he and I were at Morton Police Dept back in the 80's. He may not remember me, as I didn't have a lot of contact with him.
Gosh it's been years, maybe 15 at least, that my son and I trained with Marty in Centralia (Chehalis?), but I remember that he was very professional and that I definitely came out better than I went in. I don't know or remember Belle but if she has ideas for improvement I'll look forward to checking it out. One thing I've learned over the years and many, many courses taken, is that no matter what and regardless of the quality of the trainer, I will come away with knowledge that I didn't have before, even if it's what NOT to do. Fortunately 99% of the courses I've taken have been with truly first class instructors, with the best probably "John Mosby" at Mountain Gorilla in Idaho. He's tough to catch up with but I highly recommend him if at all possible.

10-15yrs ago having someone "NRA certified" meant something. Nowadays it means nothing. Not that the level of certification has dropped, just that there are far more qualified people instructing.
That's seems to be true on the civilian side, but on the LEO side if you don't cut it in those classes you head home. Just went through a Tactical Shooting Instructor certification course earlier this year. There were a few there that did not get their certificate. They can retest once in the following 12 months.

REACT Training Systems, I can vouch for. I know the owner and have trained with him many times. He's an excellent instructor if you are in the Bend / Sisters area.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top