JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Personally I don't like the looks of the ptr version nor the $1700ish price tag.

For a little bit more u could buy a used real h & k mp5 or a bit more than that a new hk mp5.

I hope PSA's version is a lot less than the ptr or I won't be buying it personally. Too many good alternatives out there like Stribog for less than half the money.

Last Edited:
PSA and PTR both introduced their MP-5 clones at the 2018 Shot Show. It's a little worrisome that PSA still has not got it figured out.

PTR began shipping their version shortly after Shot Show and by most reports people have been pleased with them.

E
It seems to be the new way to do things. Announce products and then fail to deliver them within a 2 year stretch of time. CZ still hasn't released their Micro Scorpion S2 and that was also announced at 2018 shot shot. They've pushed back the release date about 4 times. With all my luck, they'll pass some anti-gun legislature by then and I won't be able to get one...

It seems to be the new way to do things. Announce products and then fail to deliver them within a 2 year stretch of time. CZ still hasn't released their Micro Scorpion S2 and that was also announced at 2018 shot shot. They've pushed back the release date about 4 times. With all my luck, they'll pass some anti-gun legislature by then and I won't be able to get one...

Zenith/MKE
Omega
PTR
POF

?? Why wait?

POF - made in pakistan $1400
PTR $1700
Omega $1700
Zenith $1800

Why bother?

Compared to the mythical one? Ok.

You could roll the dice on the PSA version only to find out that it's a steaming pile of poo like their AK clone was or, like you mentioned, run out of time.

E

Last Edited:
Compared to the mythical one? Ok.

You could roll the dice on the PSA version only to find out that it's a steaming pile of poo like their AK clone was or, like you mentioned, run out of time.

E
Arms Unlimited seems to have some for $2,800... or you can get the mini version for $40,000k from gun broker that's FTMG (supposedly)... :s0114:

If I can save $700 by buying the PSA, I'll do that after consensus figures out they are of quality.
I would trust PTR to make a quality MP5 as well, and I would buy one over the PSA if there was no price difference and I had priority to get one.
Unfortunately this one doesn't have the GF stamp of approval like some other related type 9mm's... trust me, I tried to get her more interested in this one.

Arms Unlimited seems to have some for $2,800... or you can get the mini version for $40,000k from gun broker that's FTMG (supposedly)... :s0114:

If I can save $700 by buying the PSA, I'll do that after consensus figures out they are of quality.
I would trust PTR to make a quality MP5 as well, and I would buy one over the PSA if there was no price difference and I had priority to get one.
Unfortunately this one doesn't have the GF stamp of approval like some other related type 9mm's... trust me, I tried to get her more interested in this one.

At $2800 I assume you are looking at the SP5K? No three lug barrel. No paddle mag release. It's as if HK hates us.

Even beater HK-94s are commanding $3-4k+ these days.

I hope PSA delivers as promised. More options are always a good thing. But considering that we are now into year two with still no real date for release, I'd be worried.

E

Last Edited:
HK = Hardly Kares. "K" instead of "C" because they are German.

I know guys who purchased the SP5K and then sent them off to firms like Investment Grade Firearms or Parabellum Combat to have them replace the barrels, install the correct magazine release, remark them "MP-5" or "MP-5N" and then refinish them to get them correct.

The word "inexpensive" has never been part of the roller lock vocabulary.

E

At $2800 I assume you are looking at the SP5K? No three lug barrel. No paddle mag release. It's as if HK hates us.

I hope PSA delivers as promised. More options are always a good thing. But considering that we are now into year two with still no real date for release, I'd be worried.

E
It's likely I was looking at an SP5K... but it was the only one I found with very limited sear h results. I gave up hope of getting the real deal a while back.

Hopefully the PSA comes out without a hitch. I wonder why it's so dificult to come out with a reliable and budget friendly MP5...

Nw armory in Tigard has them in stock according to their website. It seems to me I saw them cheaper there a while ago than what they are listed at now. But I think that was the Milwaukee location can't remember.
B0BB69D6-91E0-43E1-8E4A-40C1905465B1.png

E
I've heard 2nd or 3rd quarter of 2019 from a couple of different sources. Don't ask me how reliable those sources are.

Kind of off topic, but I've always wondered why these cost so much more than others.

Is it materials? Machine methods?

Seriously? I don't get it.

You would think if they could make them less expensive and yet still reliable, they would sell like Glockcakes.

Zenith/MKE
Omega
PTR
POF

?? Why wait?
I'll give some thought to the PTR but frankly, the thing will be a glorified range toy for most of it's life. I get the cool factor but if I can save the better part of a grand, that's more toward ammo or the FAL clone I've been eyeing for so long.

Kind of off topic, but I've always wondered why these cost so much more than others.

Is it materials? Machine methods?

Seriously? I don't get it.

You would think if they could make them less expensive and yet still reliable, they would sell like Glockcakes.

It's late 50s production technology.

The receivers are first stamped as flats, then folded, then welded. Barrels are pressed into the trunion and then welded into the receiver. Charging handle tubes....also welded to the receiver. Making one is somewhat labor intensive.

All that said, they run like a Swiss watch and parts swap between firearms almost without fail.

P.S. I may be a little biased when discussing roller lock guns.

20190223_173757.jpg

E

Last Edited:
Its a roller lock or its not. To say firearms like the Stribog are an alternative is like saying a Hi Point is an alternative to a Glock.

Just a guess but I think the core of the problem is HK licensing fee. All the other clones whether POF, PTR, etc are all pretty spendy. I would guess that hk is not going to let them sell them for low cost.

I was going to buy one of these but ended up buying a stribog for $670 with 3 30 round mags. It has been a fantastic gun and build quality is way up there. Recoil is soft compared to polymer 9mm PCCs I have shot. 8" barrel but overall size is still small (same size as other brand's shorter barrel PCCs) and fits in my laptop bag. Have not shot an mp5 so I can't compare recoil to that. (Mp5 should be smoother of course). I also like that there is no buffer tube on the stribog (like mp5, evo, b&T) so u can put a folding brace on it (or collapsable) and it makes for a very small package.

Stribog is delayed blowback and mass of bolt rides on top of barrel and in front of the chamber so lots of weight out front in terms of the bolt.

There is supposed to be a roller-locked stribog coming out in the first part of 2020 for $200-$250 more than current version. However I wonder if that too might be under threat from HK due to roller-locking mechanism patent? Total WAG on that one and may not be an issue at all, just wondering. But they have full auto roller-locked stribogs in Europe so perhaps it's a non-issue.

Last Edited:
I bought the Banshee 300/9mm. Real happy with it, and the design.
All others that have got to shoot it like it as well. Just NOT the price they go for.

I say if the PSA clone is going to cost a little more, let it be known, get it done. Get it out.
It's already into the 4th Qtr, and I'm "almost" tired of waiting.

I'm a bit disappointed in PSA and their "new" stuff.

They are using their limited production against folks. Sadly it's working.

When the AKV released it cost $600. Somewhere between there and now, it creeped up to $900.

I imagine this guy will end up being no less expensive then the other guys clone.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top