JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just saw a shot show interview with them and they r saying late 2019 now. Was going to get one early this year. But now with delay I wonder if it will be legal to buy them in OR in late 2019.

But I guess it will be better to have one with all the bugs worked out vs one that will have to go back to PSA for bug fixes. If a person can buy one that is, and not some weird castrated version to be a 5 shot gun.

Mp5 info at about the 2:15 minute mark here:

Just saw a shot show interview with them and they r saying late 2019 now. Was going to get one early this year. But now with delay I wonder if it will be legal to buy them in OR in late 2019.

But I guess it will be better to have one with all the bugs worked out vs one that will have to go back to PSA for bug fixes. If a person can buy one that is, and not some weird castrated version to be a 5 shot gun.

Mp5 info at about the 2:15 minute mark here:

I have been looking for a good quality (yet affordable) short barreled 9mm sub gun to shoot for fun at the range. I was waiting on the CZ Scorpion Micro S2... I got tired of waiting and decided to build myself a side-charging 9mm AR with a Colt lower. I've been perfectly happy with how it turned out...BUT this looks promising as well. And I've had luck with PSA in the past.

I have been looking for a good quality (yet affordable) short barreled 9mm sub gun to shoot for fun at the range.

My brother wants one of these, bad. I researched them and they get rave reviews and are under $500...

Extar Firearms USA - Buy Factory Direct -Starting at $419

2743.jpg

I owned an Extar in 9mm and they are great guns and are fun. Extremely reliable IMO, mine never had a misfire or jam. One difference between Extar and Mp5 clones is that the mp5 has a smaller profile and collapsible brace. EXtar has a regular buffer tube/spring etc. so if a person wants to make a smaller "package" like for a backpack or whatever you would need a law tactical folding stock adapter or other aftermarket solution (not everybody wants a smaller package though).

Another thing about the real MP5 (I know that's not a fair comparison as it's a $2300 gun) is the weight/metal build which makes it stable when shooting fast (or so I've heard anyway, have not shot one myself). The Extar is mostly all polymer which is good in that it is lightweight but it may have more recoil than expected vs. a metal/heavier gun. Again this really light weight can be a good thing or bad thing depending on what your preferences are. I have never held the prototype PSA MP5 so I'm really curious if it is similar to a real MP5 in terms of weight/amount of metal or if it is a light weight, mostly polymer gun. I've got high hopes for the PSA MP5 clone but of course we won't know that much until it's been in people's hands for a few months.

Another non-buffer tube option is the Sig MPX, but man is it spendy. I've also seen many reports of a lot of gas getting blown back in your face when shooting the MPX suppressed.

Fortunately, building one seems easy these days. Something like the one pictured below will keep me busy for some time to come specifically as a range toy.
I really like the MPX but for some reason it bothers me that it isn't side charging. I've always thought 9mm sub guns should be side charging... The prospect of a more affordable MP5 clone (especially with tri lug adapter) is highly appealing.

a1.jpg

Yeah, never been interested in these types of firearms until the past month or so and started researching them.

Decided I wanted the Extar and discovered that you have to order them directly off their site and have your FFL's info ready. They restock them as available three days a week at 5pm MST and they sell out within minutes every time.

I've tried twice and wasn't quick enough.

Went to PSA's site and they have a decent version called the PA-9 that is about $100 more than the Extar, but doesn't have the last round bolt hold open and is a little bigger. Still, thought it would be cool.

But, the model I want is sold out. They only have one version available for $549, and it has the 4" barrel, which is not what I wanted. So I got put on an email list for when the one I'd consider is available.

So I guess I'll see what happens first; either the PSA model will become available, or I'll be able to click fast enough for the Extar…

But there definitely does seem to be an increased demand for these types of weapons for some reason.

This is the PSA version I'd like...

PSA Gen4 8" 9mm 1:10 7" Lightweight M-Lok MOE SBA3 Pistol - 5165450029

5165450029.jpg

I was looking at the PSA kits for the 5.56 versions, but to get them in a really handy size, you have to have a 7.5" barrel, and they still ended up being significantly larger than the 9mm versions. And the typical 5.56 out of that short of barrel results in extreme muzzle blast and significantly reduced ballistics; Down over 1000fps to around 2400fps and to around 670ft lbs of energy.

Still, it's much more power than the 9mm, which is up around 1200fps and 500ft lbs of energy.

Yeah, never been interested in these types of firearms until the past month or so and started researching them.

Decided I wanted the Extar and discovered that you have to order them directly off their site and have your FFL's info ready. They restock them as available three days a week at 5pm MST and they sell out within minutes every time.

I've tried twice and wasn't quick enough.

Went to PSA's site and they have a decent version called the PA-9 that is about $100 more than the Extar, but doesn't have the last round bolt hold open and is a little bigger. Still, thought it would be cool.

But, the model I want is sold out. They only have one version available for $549, and it has the 4" barrel, which is not what I wanted. So I got put on an email list for when the one I'd consider is available.

So I guess I'll see what happens first; either the PSA model will become available, or I'll be able to click fast enough for the Extar…

But there definitely does seem to be an increased demand for these types of weapons for some reason.

This is the PSA version I'd like...

PSA Gen4 8" 9mm 1:10 7" Lightweight M-Lok MOE SBA3 Pistol - 5165450029

View attachment 548532
They're cheap to shoot and a lot of fun to shoot. They're also quite a bit more accurate at range than a standard 9mm handgun (unless your a prodigy with a pistol). I was shooting .5-.75" groups at 25 yards with relative ease just using a red dot. I'm a pretty average shooter so that would be an enhancement to my shooting...

It's a miracle! I forgot to log in to the Extar website until 4:12 today and they actually still had an EP9 in stock. Got it ordered and on it's way to my FFL in Colfax.

Very excited!

PSA and PTR both introduced their MP-5 clones at the 2018 Shot Show. It's a little worrisome that PSA still has not got it figured out.

PTR began shipping their version shortly after Shot Show and by most reports people have been pleased with them.

E

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads