JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
20210511_075047.jpg

Nice looking fire line! Hopefully not needed, EVER. Keep safe this long fire season.

Yup - we are working on it. That was all clear about 7 years ago when we thinned and then it a lot of brush grew back. Alders, maple, etc. grew 20-40' high in just 7 years, then the briers and other crap too. I should have kept it under control - you have to keep at it up here. The thinning let the sun thru, and the rain kept it watered. I wish the cedar and fir trees grew that fast.

We have a pond at the bottom of the property in the creek the word supply a lot of water but it's hard to get to and it would probably be right in the middle of fire anyway Plus it's not near the houses which is where we really want the water so what tank would probably be the best solution for replenish a water tanker or fire pump.

our snow pack didn't get anywhere close to normal
95% doesn't sound too bad. But I think the bigger threat comes from inaction. What has been done since last year to help curb these fires? Some responsible logging would seem to solve a number of issues all at once. At least some expansion and clean-up of fire breaks. You know, doing the kind of stuff being discussed here, but being done at the state level, so we don't have to watch our trees burn. Again. I can't seem to find any info on that.

I am not sure what impact snowpack has on fire danger.

I would assume that the major fire danger risks are fuel load, how dry the fuel is, humidity and wind.

Add those to people being out in the forests and weather (lightning, wind) and you get your fire risk level.

Most forest fires are caused by humans. When I was young, the forests were sometimes closed to access by the Governor because of fire danger.

IIRC the forest dept. used to require anybody who went into the woods in fire danger season to carry a shovel and an axe?

"Through the end of July 2020, 90% of Oregon's wildfires had been caused by humans versus a yearly average of 70%, possibly because of increased outdoor recreation due to the COVID-19 pandemic.[10]"

Last Edited:
The requirement was for an ax, shovel, or pulaski (combination ax and hoe), and a fire extinguisher or one gallon of water, if travelling in an area protected by the Forestry Department. The requirement was waived if travelling on improved (gravelled or paved) public roads. I can't find it listed any more.

Further limitations are no outside burning, no smoking except in designated areas, no mowing of dry grass, no fireworks, tracer ammunition, or exploding targets. Cutting and welding, campfires, power saw use, and other spark-emitting activities are subject to local restrictions. These limitations are still in force during Closed Fire Season.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top