JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've been looking at building up this kit from PSA https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...3-pistol-kit-with-mbus-sight-set-romeo-5.html

But I've started to hear some mixed reviews on their stuff. I'm wondering if anyone here has had any experience with PSA rifles/pistols as this will be my first time buying from them. Not sure if these negative reviews are coming from the AR elitist crowd or they are legitimate criticisms of their product. This is an AR pistol chambered in 5.56...Like any firearm I want it to be reliable, but this is mostly for fun. I don't need it to make competition level groupings. If it can throw bullets downrange and I can keep those groupings on center mass it does its job in my eyes. Any input would be great.

For an AR that functions, palmetto is hard to beat for the price. It's not top of the line, but if that's what you were looking for, you probably wouldn't be on PSA's website would ya? In a sample size of 3 personally, I have yet to see a mechanical problem

I have a 16" upper kit that I got from them.
The upper is decent enough but I went with a BCM Gunfighter lower parts kit for my PSA AR9 build and pieced out the rest as needed for it. SBA3 brace etc.
Money well spent on that LPK, better quality small bits and the trigger is better.
The BCG was staked properly and never gave me issues but I went with a Radian BCG and keep it as a spare.

The PSA upper I have is overgassed, I imagine the 10.5" would be the same.
Mine smoothed out a lot with a Vltor A5 system running an A5H2 buffer.
Any future DI guns, pistol or rifle that I build will have that action.

The upper is decent enough but I went with a BCM Gunfighter lower parts kit for my PSA AR9 build and pieced out the rest as needed for it. SBA3 brace etc.
Money well spent on that LPK, better quality small bits and the trigger is better.
The BCG was staked properly and never gave me issues but I went with a Radian BCG and keep it as a spare.

Cool thanks for the tip

I'm waiting on the CHF 10.5" complete upper to go on sale again.

I've owned 2 complete rifles from PSA, as well as 2 that were bought as seperate parts (complete lower and complete upper). I'm a huge fan, not a single issue. Great customer service too (I've also bought my shield, ammo, mags, etc from their sales)

Their CHF barrels come from FN.

Whenever someone asks me for a good rifle at a good price, I point them to PSA

I would start with this for a PSA 10.5" upper.

Then get a quality LPK like the BCM gunfighter.
BCM GF Charging handle.
Quality BCG

The SBA3 brace came with a carbine receiver extension so all you would need is a spring and a buffer in the H2 range.
A Law tactical folder will also add 2 oz to the carrier with the adapter and will give a better fit if you have really, really long forearms. ;)

Cool thanks for the tips. I think I'm gonna spend a little more and just get the upper with no bcg or ch, then piece out the LPK, BCG, and buffer parts. Seems like for a few hundred more I'll have a much smoother shooting pistol.

Quick question..with the Vltor system do you need to use their receiver extension or will the one that comes with the SBA3 brace work?

To convert to the Vltor A5 you have to use their extension.
But I did find out after I got one that it is the same spec as the AR10 carbine RE.
Same length but with 6 holes instead of 7.
Those two extensions are 5/8" longer than an AR15 carbine extension.

I have bought "quite a bit" from them and I have run into problems at times but when I have contacted them they have fixed the situation at their expense.

In terms of reliability of the parts, I have a palmetto rifle that's 8 years old and works just fine, I have newer palmetto builds that work just fine, I've even used them in competition at times and won. (The indian matters more than the arrow)

I don't think you'll have problems, but if you do, they are happy to fix them.

1. One time I received a AR10 lower had the wrong buffer spring. They sent me out a new one without question.

2. One time I bought a standard front sight upper and the front sight was very canted, sent it back and they replaced it.

3. One time they sent me the wrong upper compared to what I ordered, they were happy to fix it.

4. Recently I was firing an 18in rifle length upper and was having some severe fail to load the next round problems, I ran a few hundred rounds through it and it has seemingly no longer become a problem.

I have a 10.5" PSA Nitride upper, and it has run flawlessly both suppressed and unsuppressed.

I also have a 20" CHF FN upper from PSA, and the accuracy has exceeded my expectations.

My opinion: Buy with confidence! :s0155:

I have a psa pistol in 300 blackout, everything psa except anderson lower, j&p trigger springs and sba3.
I'm very happy with it, reliable and accurate. Round count is up in the thousands, shooting 300 blackout is like beer and peanuts, hard to stop until there's a big pile of empty brass. As far as reviews go, pffft.

I have a psa pistol in 300 blackout, everything psa except anderson lower, j&p trigger springs and sba3.
I'm very happy with it, reliable and accurate. Round count is up in the thousands, shooting 300 blackout is like beer and peanuts, hard to stop until there's a big pile of empty brass. As far as reviews go, pffft.

Ahhh good to hear. I'm wanting to do another build in the future in 300 blackout so I might go to them for that as well.

This is why I come to this forum with questions though, you folk are practical. Go to some of the AR forums and if you don't drop more than $2k on your build your ar is garbage in their eyes.

Last Edited:
I've purchased 3 kits now and for a budget plinker you can upgrade piece by piece and still shoot it then you really cannot beat the price/quality combo.
People also scoff at Taurus but they do the job (as long as customer service isn't necessary)

All but one of my ARs are complete PSA, the one that isn't complete is a PSA lower with PSA ELPK and A2 rifle stock and a 20" A3 upper. I have not had any issues with any of them, the oldest one the A2 is at least 8-9 years old.

This 5.56 AR pistol is 3.5 year's old.
20170118_231342.jpg

Ive built about 50 ARs from PSA parts, good stuff.
lately the upper and lowers finish dont seem to match, but Ive never had any functioning issues, ive seen a couple BCGs that could have been Staked better, but over all they are good to go.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top