JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As a brand newcomer to the AR-15 platform, I've decided to build my first AR rather than buy a pre-assembled one. I plan on using this for home defense and recreational shooting at the range. I am looking to build a 16' barrel in 5.56 NATO.

I've already bought an Aero M4E1 stripped lower receiver after a recommendation from a friend. Now I'm looking at two possibilities to build the rest of the rifle: buy a PSA rifle kit or buy the rest of the parts fitting the M4E1 from Aero. The PSA assembled rifle would cost me about $480 including iron sights only. The Aero assembled rifle would cost me about $735. For someone on a budget like me, that $255 makes quite a bit of difference.

I know the PSA quality to be pretty good; I've also heard very high praise for the Aero quality. For those of you who may have handled both types of rifles, is the Aero worth the extra $255? Or are the qualities and reliability factors similar enough where the Aero is not worth that extra $255? Or do you all recommend another AR brand kits for someone in my situation? Thanks in advance for all your answers.

As a brand newcomer to the AR-15 platform, I've decided to build my first AR rather than buy a pre-assembled one. I plan on using this for home defense and recreational shooting at the range. I am looking to build a 16' barrel in 5.56 NATO.

I've already bought an Aero M4E1 stripped lower receiver after a recommendation from a friend. Now I'm looking at two possibilities to build the rest of the rifle: buy a PSA rifle kit or buy the rest of the parts fitting the M4E1 from Aero. The PSA assembled rifle would cost me about $480 including iron sights only. The Aero assembled rifle would cost me about $735. For someone on a budget like me, that $255 makes quite a bit of difference.

I know the PSA quality to be pretty good; I've also heard very high praise for the Aero quality. For those of you who may have handled both types of rifles, is the Aero worth the extra $255? Or are the qualities and reliability factors similar enough where the Aero is not worth that extra $255? Or do you all recommend another AR brand kits for someone in my situation? Thanks in advance for all your answers.

Have you looked at the NWFA build resources link?

Build Resources!

Of the two you've mentioned, I've only built or shot the PSA rifles/pistols. I've shot several other manufacturers, but never Aero. Of the ones I've shot, I'd be hard pressed to tell them apart so my recommendation would be to go the cheapest known reliable route as a start. Once you start customizing it to your liking, and there's a fairly good chance of that, you'll be replacing less expensive parts. All of mine use Anderson lowers so I can't speak about any tolerance/interchange considerations for the Aero. Couple tips I would give if going the PSA route. Look for a kit that has the EPT trigger for a few dollars more ($20 or less) buy the color furniture you want in the kit. That should save you a few bucks in immediate upgrades.

On a side note, have you considered an AR pistol? It starts to get really loud under 10.5" in 5.56/.223 so I'd recommend 10.5". Pair that with an SBA3 brace and you have a more maneuverable firearm for close quarters, like a hallway.

Good luck whichever way you go. I think you'll end up with a fine firearm. Enjoy the process and welcome to adult Legos!

I have Aero, PSA, Poverty Pony (Anderson), DPMS, Olympic and LMT lowers. There are subtle differences between them, some have better quality in appearance, but all are functionally the same. Where the world of difference comes into play is the upper and the guts. This is where the aphorism, "you get what you pay for" definitely shows it's truth, and where the idiom "buy once cry once" has meaning.
Having spent many hours shooting friends' LMT, Noveske and Daniel Defense rifles, all are worth their money in terms of quality, but if I were to win the lottery and wanted a built one, I know which of the three I would buy. As is with any internet advice, YMMV.
I've had ARs that range from $1,600 (pre-built) to $250 (experiment in "how cheaply can I build a 6.5 Grendel). Were I to do it again, I would NOT buy at the high end or lowest end. In fact, I'm modifying the Grendel (Love the cartridge!) to suit my taste with better ergos.
My recommendations:
  • IMO, the items that really matter on your AR are the Barrel, Bolt and Trigger. Also important is your gas block.
    • Barrel : research these to find the best value for the money. Buy a good gas block to go with it. Don't go cheap on the gas block. I can show you a PSA gas block that leaks, no matter what I do with it. I believe that affects my accuracy through that rifle.
    • Bolt : I have Brownells, PSA, Aero, Toolcraft and other bolts in NiBo, phosphated and nitrided finishes. They all work. My Toolcraft Nitrided is the one that works the slickest and gums up the least. The Brownells NiBo would be second. Maintain your bolt, don't let it run dry. I have an unknown brand where the extractor broke. Easy fix, but PITA when out at the range.
    • Trigger : Spend the money on a good trigger. Many great choices to pick from. If you search the forums here, you can find posts on DIY trigger jobs to run-of-the-mill LPK triggers, and I'm sure they work well. A trigger doesn't make you a better shooter, but it makes your rifle more enjoyable to shoot.
  • Ergos: this is where you have a rifle you LOVE or feel meh.
    • Get an Upper and hand rail that match in specs. The easiest path to this is to buy an Aero M4E1 Builder set.
      I can show you an LMT upper with a Geissle hand guard that fit and finish is perfect. I love that rifle even though it's heavier than my other ARs.
      I can show you two budget builds, one where the upper and handguard have about a 0.015" gap in order to make the picatinny slots align perfectly, another where there is a height difference between picatinny rails, and the handguard has a wider picatinny than the upper. Both are the result of building with budget parts. Since I only run iron sights on the latter, it doesn't matter to me that the rail height is different.
    • Get a buttstock that is comfortable, is of an acceptable weight, fits you well and matches your rifle in looks. A buffer and spring may come with the buttstock, and are often an afterthought in a build, but they are essential to rifle operation.
    • Hand grip. This defines the comfort of your shooting hand.
When all is said and done, and you have a proven rifle, I recommend you stake or pin your vital components (BCG, gas block, handguard). It guarantees they never come loose, and though a PITA when you have to maintain or replace parts, something like a loose gas key will end your shooting session quickly.

Palmettos stainless barrels are pretty precise and can produce great results.

They also have FN cold hammer forged barrels available.

I've owned and shot many many brands. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Poverty Pony lower and a Palmetto build kit. I've seen these set ups out shoot and out last higher end brands.

The one bad thing about budget builds is they have zero resale value. You could pump $1000 into a Anderson PSA build and only sell it for $400-$500 in today's market.

Higher end products may result you a higher return of value.

I own, and have built complete rifles of both. Aero definitely has better finish, and their uppers are definitely nicer than psa's cheaper stuff. At the same time my $250 PSA upper shoots sub MOA with good ammo, but it heats up faster than my Aero does.

Thank you to everyone. This has all been incredibly helpful. It's good to know that PSA is not just some cheap rifle but has some qualify as well. I consider guns to be tools that I want to be able to bump into things and not worry about keeping it in some pristine condition, I've ordered the PSA rifle and am looking forward to shooting it and upgrading it. And I love the suggestion about getting the PSA and using the other saved money to stock up on ammo. With the dark days coming, that's wise advice for all of us. I do think the anti-gunners will target ammo instead of guns like California. Anyways, thanks again.

PSA will be a solid start. If you're not happy with the feel or accuracy, there are a million triggers, barrels, stocks and grips out there that can sort you out later on down the road. It takes a bit of trigger time to find out what works and what doesn't for you.

I like the JSE Surplus custom uppers... I've used them on my last two "builds".

You can pick your upper, caliber, tube, CH, BCG, etc. If you have a box o' parts (take-offs from other builds) you can omit the stuff you don't want/need vs adding to that parts box... and having the pleasure paying for it. Both are pinned to Aero lowers that were bought stripped from another source.

I had both barrelled uppers checked for proper torque and headspace (one is a .223 Wylde) and they came away 100%.

On another note:
My .223, which was supposed to be built cheaply w spare parts, has become my longest-running and most expensive to date. No fault of JSE, that's my own psychosis to deal with.
:rolleyes:

I have seen (not internet storys) a couple psa uppers with very canted sight posts and a psa complete lower that the buffer tube rotated in the receiver. The lower was sent back, then returned with the buffer tube not lined up straight. Complaints where made, psa sent out parts and the owner fixed it.

I have a psa FN chf upper that has been good, no issues.

When buying psa you need to read the full description of what you are buying, as parts quality varies. Then you need to inspect parts and assembly. They do use some good parts, deals can be had and a decent rifle can be put together on a budget.

I have had good luck with BCM. I like their elpk's. I haven't had any CQ issues with their stuff. I wish they where still offering a free bcg with upper purchase.

Unless you're a competitive shooter or a long distance shooter, PSA is fine. Some guys feel as if paying more for the same materials all CNC'd on the same types of equipment using the same metals can buy them accuracy or quality. it doesnt.

For plinking which is what 90% of guys do, PSA is more than fine enough. The firearms industry is notorious for tripling the cost on basic CNC'd materials And claiming super duper extra reliability or ultra durability especially on non stress induced parts (think accessories) Or claiming their R&D justifies the insanely inflated prices.

Just my $0.02.......

easy-button.png

BUDGET........YES. So buy the PSA and buy ammo. Then, go practice.

Aloha, Mark

Owning a base AR will help you choose better when you build out that Aero lower. I built the first two AR's I ever shot, and I would have made a couple of changes if I'd had more operational experience. Those two being I would have gone one step smaller in the barrel contour (selected "normal". and I would have gone with a mid length gas system instead of the standard carbine.

Instead of the PSA consider a Ruger AR556 or S&W Sport in the same price range. I think you could sell either later for more money than you would get out of the PSA. My Ruger is tight and shoots well.

If you don't plan to sell nothing wrong with PSA - they supply almost everything to FN for their part of the M4 contract, but you won't get those parts on their cheapest models.

When I bought my first AR, Aero was just breaking into the scene. I was determined to find a Colt based on what I'd been told but the guy at the local shop said he'd make me a deal on the Aero and he guaranteed I'd be happy. He wasn't wrong. I've heard stories about Aero's quality being hit and miss over the last couple of years but I, personally, never had any issues. I learned to build by taking that thing apart and putting it back together.

Like others have said, building isn't difficult if you have the time and the patience to learn. You can build exactly what you're looking for. It'll also hold some sentimental value because well...it was your first and YOU built it. So much availability now.

With that said, unless you plan on building several, the cost of getting tools for building might not be worthwhile. If you're trying to save money I'd go the PSA route. Wait for one of the deals on their FN barreled rifles and use that until you can spring for something higher end. I'd look strongly at SOLGW or Sionics. BCM would be a close third.

Out of the 2 I lean towards the Aero, but that's just my opinion. You can find Aero factory ARs used for 550-600 and because of that reason I see no reason to buy PSA. In the end the Aero will have better resale, and better overall reliability. Have seen too many issues with PSA ARs with those that shoot a lot. Rarely ever shoot and it takes a while before you will notice any issues. I tend to spend a little more to have less problems(LWRC/PWS) but the 3 Aero factory ARs I have I would have no issues protecting my life with. Again just MY.02, yours may differ.

Last Edited:
I like aero for the reason of them being pretty local. Ive never had issues with their parts. My go to rifle is aero receivers, ballistic advantage barrel, psa full auto carrier, and bcm handguard. Itll shoot ragged holes if i can stay still enough, and i have only had 1 issue firing, which came down to a magazine issue.

For what you want to accomplish PSA is fine. Sometimes with lower-price manufacturers they do not use the same quantity of materials, testing and quality control as higher-end companies and in some cases lack customer service but as long as they have a good return policy or warranty which you take a moment and read the small print first then make a decision, I have a nephew and brother in law that both bought PSA rifles . And there was some troubleshooting we had to do one of them at first but once broken in they worked fine. My nephew has over 1k on his and it is still running strong.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top