JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Oregon Firearms Federation

PRIVACY BILL PASSES HOUSE COMMITTEE, PROZANSKI KILLS IT IN SENATE
House Bill 4045, a bill to protect the privacy of CHL holders, passed out of the House Judiciary Committee today. It was amended from its original form, but still a very good bill. Three of the five House Democrats, Mary Nolan, Carolyn Tomei, and Chris Garrett, voted against the bill. It is their intention to keep this sensitive private information available to reporters, direct mail fundraisers and criminals.

The rest of the committee voted yes. The bill now goes to the House floor where it will likely pass and then it will be dead.

In a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing today, a clearly agitated Chairman Floyd Prozanski declared the bill dead along with the two gun-related bills his committee was due to hear today.

Those bills were SB 1550 and SB 1574.

SB 1550 was Ginny Burdick's bill to keep all school property safe for rapists and killers by forbidding licensed concealed carry on school property.

SB 1574 was Prozanski's confusing, complex and pointless "reciprocity" bill.

Before announcing that the bills would not move forward and that the House privacy bill was also dead, Floyd introduced amendments to his "reciprocity" bill that made it even more confusing.

In spite of the fact that he made it clear that the bills were dead, "Ceasefire Oregon" trotted out their typical false and hysterical testimony about the thousands of felons and murders that get CHLs in other states. The expected testimony was also given about drunken, drug-addled and suicidal college students who would be shooting up college campuses if Burdick's bill was not passed. (Note, as I said, that this testimony was given after the bills were declared dead.) No one explained why college students are not killing themselves and others off campus.

So with the actions taken today by Prozanski, virtually any chance of moving CHL privacy is over. Thankfully this is also true of his bill and Burdick's.

That leaves one last piece of business this session. HB 4054 is due for a hearing in the House Health Committee on Monday. This bill "Prohibits Public Employees' Benefit Board from authorizing or requiring collection of information or maintenance of records about firearms from eligible employee or family member."

Please contact the members of the House Health Care Committee and urge them to support this important legislation. And please contact your own House Rep if he or she is not on the committee and urge support for this bill with no anti-gun amendments.

Feel free to use the cut and paste message at the bottom of this alert. Contact information for the House Health Care Committee members follows.

Mitch Greenlick, Co-Chair 503-986-1433 [email protected]

Jim Thompson, Co-Chair 503-986-1423 [email protected]

Val Hoyle, Co-Vice Chair 503-986-1414 [email protected]

Bill Kennemer, Co-Vice Chair 503-986-1439 [email protected]

Jason Conger 503-986-1454 [email protected]

Margaret Doherty 503-986-1435 [email protected]

Alissa Keny-Guyer 503-986-1446 [email protected]

Julie Parrish 503-986-1437 [email protected]

Or you can use this link to mail all Committee members.

Dear Representative,

I strongly urge you to support HB 4054 when it is heard in your Health Care Committee. Public employees should not be subjected to pointless invasions of their privacy. The ownership and storage of lawfully owned firearms should be no one's business but the owner of those firearms.

Yours,

I can't believe these dirt bags! !!!!!
I'll bet they got gobs of email against their bills and for ours. ......they saw the writing on the wall and shut the whole thing down. (In an effort to show their power no doubt )

I can't believe these dirt bags! !!!!!
I'll bet they got gobs of email against their bills and for ours. ......they saw the writing on the wall and shut the whole thing down. (In an effort to show their power no doubt )

I think you might want to keep an eye on these people, they may pull there stuff up on the next to last day.

Alright, I met with Sens. Prozanski and Burdick on Tuesday, and had typed a writeup in the initial thread, but the web browser ate it and I didn't feel like re-typing it, so I'll just post the letter I just sent to Mr. Prozanski instead:

Hi Sen. Prozanski,

It was good to talk to you on Tuesday. I left our meeting feeling
very good about the possibilities of the passage of your bill, and the
defeat of Ms. Burdick's bill. I felt reassured that you were making
an honest attempt to pass your bill, and you weren't proposing it with
no chance of passage, or to table it. I took your word that you were
serious about passage.

Yet today I read that you removed all gun bills from the Senate
Judiciary Committee floor. And that Representative Barker, a
Democrat, was dismayed at your single-handed dismissal of such bills.

As a very liberal gun owner, I am dismayed by actions such as this.
You should be a friend to Democratic gun owners, yet your actions are
such that you draw scorn and ridicule from gun-rights groups for being
"not really a gun supporter". It is impossible for me to defend you
to gun-rights supporters any more, when you say one thing, and do
another.

If this is being pushed by Democratic leadership, push back! Make the
Dem leadership publicly state they are killing it. Stand up for gun
owners, and they will stand up for you. But if you quietly kill them
with no explanation, you are only fueling the fires of the gun rights
enthusiasts (like the OFF.)

My talk with Ms. Burdick was productive. I think we managed to show her that legal gun owners are *NOT* the problem (and were happy to see Mr. Prozanski use the Texas CPL crime statistics we gave him in his hearing.) She will definitely never be gun-friendly, and will almost certainly always vote against pro-gun bills, but I think we may have convinced her to stop introducing bills that pointlessly regulate only the law-abiding citizens.

If it weren't for the fact that I would have a snowball's chance in hell of getting elected (too likely to piss people off by speaking my mind; had tax problems (since resolved,) with my former business, which makes me ripe for attack ads; etc,) I'd run against her in the primary...

One of my favorite quotes..."People get the government they deserve." Plato

This is an effort to keep the sheeple dependent on government for their (perceiveded security) thus empowering government and not the individual citizen. For most in this country the spirit of individual freedom is dead.

And here is Mr. Prozanski's reply to me:

I appreciate where you're coming from, but all I can say is that you don't have all of the facts. There was an understanding* between the House Judiciary Co-chairs and me. When they failed to carry out their part of that understanding, I knew none of the bills would pass. Accordingly, instead of misleading Oregonians by going through the "motions" as if those bills would pass, I decided to stop the process so that a new dialogue could begin.

When you have a moment, you should listen to Wednesday's hearing (navigate to the committee/date via: <broken link removed> ). I made it clear why the two remaining senate gun bills (SB 1550 and SB 1574) were not going forward. Please remember that I halted the two other bills (SB 1550 & 1551) that you opposed. I worked on my reciprocity bill for over six months and am very frustrated that it was not going to get through the House Judiciary committee without being gutted and stuffed, to use Capitol jargon. Since the NRA and OFF were opposing my reciprocity bill and the the House co-chairs caved to both groups' demands on HB 4045, there was no way I could expect that they would have passed my bill.

As frustrated as I am, I will start over trying to put together another group of legislators who are willing to craft a reasonable reciprocity bill and public records exemption bill for CHL holders and applicants. (Of course, a new majority in the House would allow me to work with only one person as chair of the committee.) These issues are important to me, as I know they are to you. What would really help me right now is for you to ask Jeff Barker why he caved in to Rep. Krieger instead of living up to the agreement to ensure the passage of HB 4045.

I appreciate your willingness to "stick up" for me and hope this explanation gives you a little more insight into what I'm dealing with. It's up to you whether you want to continue to consider me a friend to gun owners. As stated above, the two bills you opposed were stopped and the action I took regarding my bill was not dismissive; it was an effort to not waste people's time with a bill that had become unviable due to the actions of the House Judiciary Co-chairs. And as stated in my office, I refuse to allow Oregonians to become second-class citizens in their own state.

Floyd

* The understanding was that if the Co-chairs amended HB 4045 w/ the -9 amendment (placing CHL records into ORS 192.501 - which exempts the disclosure of public records unless the public interest requires disclosure in a particular instance; there are already 37 other types of public records included in this section), I would vote it out of the Senate Judiciary committee to the floor. Without that change, the bill wouldn't have been able to pass the Senate.

Of course, the audio hadn't yet been available when I wrote him my email. And, yes, I do believe that this was written by him directly, not an aide.

It kind of sounds like......Because the other legislator's "caved" to OFF and NRA "demands," where by bringing forward favorable gun law.....they wouldn't hear my "restrictive"
gun laws......so I'm taking my ball and going home....

or did i totally read it wrong?

The understanding was that if the Co-chairs amended HB 4045 w/ the -9 amendment (placing CHL records into ORS 192.501 - which exempts the disclosure of public records unless the public interest requires disclosure in a particular instance; there are already 37 other types of public records included in this section), I would vote it out of the Senate Judiciary committee to the floor. Without that change, the bill wouldn't have been able to pass the Senate.

I really wonder how this guy's mind works??? I thought he was chairman...It almost seems like he is slipping a gear sometmes..

If it weren't for the fact that I would have a snowball's chance in hell of getting elected (too likely to piss people off by speaking my mind; had tax problems (since resolved,) with my former business, which makes me ripe for attack ads; etc,) I'd run against her in the primary...

I dont know you, but I would vote for you.

I think there is hunger for a "real" candidate who speaks plainly and isnt perceived as slick and prepackaged. And the best way to deal with problems from ones past is to be proactive and upfront and honest about them. Everybody has a few warts on their butt.

Hopefully they enjoy the same courtesy that they've extended to us voters when people decide to post their personal information on public sites including residence, religion, dependent info and schools they attend.

Hopefully they enjoy the same courtesy that they've extended to us voters when people decide to post their personal information on public sites including residence, religion, dependent info and schools they attend.

write to them, he claims to be pro gun make him prove it.. OFF alert.

On Wednesday we will have a floor session in the House for HB 4045. This was Kim Thatcher's CHL privacy bill which passed out of committee in House Judiciary. We expect it will pass on the House Floor.

As you know, Floyd Prozanski, the chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee, has promised to kill this important bill when it gets to the Senate. There is one last possible solution. If any member of the Senate makes a motion to withdraw the bill from Prozanski's committee, it is possible that the entire Senate could vote on the bill even if Prozanski refuses to hear it. This happened in 2011 and every Democrat Senator voted "no."

On another note, tomorrow is Valentine's Day. In addition to making sure you pick up a little something for your sweetie, we recommend stopping by Starbucks for beverage. Tomorrow is the first day of the anti-gun extremists boycott against Starbucks because they follow state law and allow open carry in their stores in places where open carry is legal.

Make sure to tell them why you are there.

I'm sure the people who elected him are proud (or competely ignorant gun owners).
Can we get a pro-gun guy (or girl) to pose as a Democrat and unseat these fools? Seems that's the only way to get elected in Orefornia.

My talk with Ms. Burdick was productive. I think we managed to show her that legal gun owners are *NOT* the problem (and were happy to see Mr. Prozanski use the Texas CPL crime statistics we gave him in his hearing.) She will definitely never be gun-friendly, and will almost certainly always vote against pro-gun bills, but I think we may have convinced her to stop introducing bills that pointlessly regulate only the law-abiding citizens.

I'm not too sure she intends to not pursue it.

She is quoted as saying, "I'm not disappointed with the decision to put it off, I think it's the correct decision right now," Burdick said. "But I'm no less committed to the bill."

Yeah I fully expect her to try again with this BS

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads