1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Prozanski bogus recall petition signature count

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by eliduc, Nov 15, 2015.

1. eliduc

eliduc Active Member

I searched ORS for statutes regarding how recall petition signatures are counted and couldn't find anything. Then I emailed my state senator (Whitsett) and asked him to enlighten me. I received no reply. Two things in play here. 1. Does anybody know if there is anything in state law related to how petition signatures are to be counted? I can't believe this "sampling method " used by our appointed Sec. of State to reject the petitions was not challenged. 2. I realize that Whitsett is pro 2nd amendment (or is he?) but unresponsive legislators should be voted out of office. The chances of a democrat being elected senator in this district are zero and zilch.
    hker71 and BoonDocks36 like this.
  2. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

You can try a search of Oregon laws, on the state site.
    BoonDocks36 and PiratePast40 like this.
  3. 66PonyCar

66PonyCar Tigard, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Here is a link to the State Initiative & Referendum Manual. Go to the end of page 9 which explains how they use sampling to test the signatures.

Here is the link to the administrative rule which explains how the statistical sampling is done. OAR 165-014-0030.

That in turn references ORS Chapter 250.105(5) which authorizes the Secretary of State to use statistical sampling to verify signatures. So statistical sampling is authorized by state statute.

Below is the link for the state statute.

Now whether the sampling methodology used was valid, is a different question altogether.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015