JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Theory: If you are too dangerous to own a firearm, you should be locked up.

• Yes, because people who are free (out) can hurt others without that right just the same.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Yes, but with exceptions. (please explain)

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • No, the current rules are just fine.

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters
Reactions
Read a few posts about restoring firearms rights etc. Somehow I think we have it wrong when dealing with people who have committed crimes. My theory to be tested : Once you have paid your dues to society (served your time) your record should be expunged. (Only judges should still have access to old records.) Without a fresh start, you'll just be thrown back into a criminal career. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The provocative poll:

Your choices are kinda confusing,or I'm reading it wrong! My thoughts on this are,if you did one thing wrong and after so much time. Ie 5 yrs and haven't done anything wrong with the law you should get all rights back. Unless that one thing was violent against a person.

Define the act(s) that you were locked up.

Brush stroke is wide that you used. Clarify.

Define the act(s) that you were locked up.

Brush stroke is wide that you used. Clarify.

I was never locked up and I wasn't asking that question as an affected party ;-) I am questioning how our society deals with people who have committed crimes. Many of our gun control laws are designed to keep guns from people who have committed crimes before, suggesting that they would commit crimes again. The resulting process of qualifying people with background checks has become a little over the top when looking at 594 - and I think if we kept violent people locked up, we would not need background checks whatsoever.

Ha! Yeah never meant YOU... But in general a "define how 'said person' was..."

Should have clarified.

I did not vote, as the methodology of creating the questions was of questionable potential... IOW, not written succinctly.

Sorry,

philipism #205,374, only do polls with good questions.

Example of how I think your poll looked, to me:

"Have you stopped beating your wife, yet"?????

Read a few posts about restoring firearms rights etc. Somehow I think we have it wrong when dealing with people who have committed crimes. My theory to be tested : Once you have paid your dues to society (served your time) your record should be expunged. (Only judges should still have access to old records.) Without a fresh start, you'll just be thrown back into a criminal career. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The provocative poll:

Those sound more like troll questions.
That is one very strangely worded poll. :s0098:

Last Edited:
Ha! Yeah never meant YOU... But in general a "define how 'said person' was..."

Should have clarified.

I think if the person has multiple DV or even simple assault charges they should never get rights back,as well as the obvious rape,murder sexual assault,that goes with out saying.
So anyone that did something stupid in there early life,as long as they didn't keep doing the same stupid mistake should get all rights back.i myself am one of those,I have all my rights back,I have both Wa CPL and a Utah CCW permit. The only thing I can never do is become law enforcement and I don't think that is completely true,I've heard there is some states that will allow it if a guy really wanted to pursue it. As far as what I did,I knew it was wrong so I make no excuse for it,luckily out of the 13 that got in trouble I was the least,I didn't get charged for sale of or possession,just delieverie and that was 30yrs ago.

So with most things:

Time served = reconciliation

Exceptions:
Rape
Murder
Sexual abuse (it's mental)
---- maybe a couple others

I can agree that drug charges while those are nonviolent actions they should be restored.

There is a line in which those who have crossed should not be restored.

If that's the original question then there is the answer. I would nullify firearm charges by jury if ever on one and somebody came and requested a jury in the case of an I-594 trial.

im pretty sure boogerhook is a troll. this would be the second one ive seen in the past couple of weeks to have joined the forum and immediately start talking in ways that support limiting gun owners. in the case of this thread i doubt he is sincere considering he wants to see enforced "gun free zones" in another thread. the poll above would do nothing more than make each of us look like fools.

Your poll is greatly lacking as it has been pointed out. I can simplify it though.

Punishment must fit the crime......
Once the punishment is over right are restored. So if that is jail time and probation then once they are done you have all your rights back.

Now everyone keeps saying they don't want firearms in the hands of violent people. I can understand that but there are 2 problems with that. First what laws do we have now that are physically stopping them? Second, if these people are so violent, WHY are they even free on the streets??????????????

Now everyone keeps saying they don't want firearms in the hands of violent people. I can understand that but there are 2 problems with that. First what laws do we have now that are physically stopping them? Second, if these people are so violent, WHY are they even free on the streets??????????????

Two very valid arguments. I'll take a stab at it like OJ.

I'm speaking barred from legally possessing. We all know criminals don't obey laws so I'll gloss over that one.

Regarding the second point made:
You are right. I see it as this, the 'justice' system is messed up. How else can "life in prison" end up 10-15 on good behavior? The answer to this is a two fold solution. Make "life" truly life! I'm almost positive the number of incarcerations would decrease if life meant life and if the non-violent were released sooner etc.

So really I guess I mean to ask: how do you fix the system so violent offenders who SHOULDN'T be released aren't released? Fix that and my issues with the above goes away.
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Its not a simple fix when the whole system is broken. But as a society we are afraid, and many are unwilling, to change the status-quo. So until that happens nothing will get better.

im pretty sure boogerhook is a troll. this would be the second one ive seen in the past couple of weeks to have joined the forum and immediately start talking in ways that support limiting gun owners. in the case of this thread i doubt he is sincere considering he wants to see enforced "gun free zones" in another thread. the poll above would do nothing more than make each of us look like fools.
Regarding my post on gun free zones. What I said was that if you must have gun free zones they must be enforced, otherwise they are not truly gun-free. Court houses are an example. Schools are not, which is why we have experienced increased number of mass shootings. You can either allow firearms in schools, carried by school staff and parents, or you can make an enforced zone. The latter is expensive, which is my way of getting rid of them ;-)

So no, not a troll, and very much pro gun. Have more than a dozen.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads