JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I worked at Legacy and we couldn't even have pocket knives because it might intimidate your fellow employee. The active shooter response was a joke, if the shooter finds you they recommended yelling and throwing stuff at them.
I also worked at Legacy for a few years and am fully aware of the mind set there. I once had to use my Swiss army knife to open a package and one of my co-workers (quite liberal of course) accused me of carrying a weapon. I just about died laughing...what a buffoon.

Well, a couple years ago one of the providence professionals sexually mollested a female worker in the parking garage stairwell. Since there are no cameras there, no proof could be given. The victim was advised to avoid the stairwells and the perp still goes about his day gainfully employed at prov.org. I don't think they are all that serious about crime.
I bet they pick and choose what crimes they want to be serious about...
Try open carrying in there and see how quick they decide to get serious.

I had an incident back in the 90's when I was working a second job at Circuit City in Los Angeles on S La Cienega Blvd. I always carried in LA. The law means nothing to me in terms of protecting myself. I had a premonition that morning that I should leave my gun at home, but i over-ruled it due to my steadfast commitment to self protection. And apparently I had been made on the job.

So I get called into the office by the GM who asks me if I am carrying, and to hand over the weapon. I was young then, and complied. I really shouldn't have. Then the Regional Security director showed up, lectured me etc. The GM had said in private that he understood and carried sometimes himself. They called the cops, who came and detained me.

The officer took the gun and cuffed me up. Put me in the front seat, and cuffed me to the door handle. As we pulled away, I remarked that I didn't feel safe cuffed to the door handle in the event he got in an accident. He kept questioning me and I kept telling him I had a permit to carry, but didn't have it on me. (At the time you could get carry permits in certain gun-friendly counties) but of course I was just stalling. We get to the station and they cuff me to a bench, in my Circuit City blazer, next to a couple of gang-bangers.

They go into the evidence room directly across the hall and I can hear every word they are saying. They are flipping through law books trying to find something to charge me on. They are also remarking about how nice my SIG 228 is, and that they would love to have one. This goes on for quite a while, and then they let me make a phone call. I call my dad and tell him I am hooked up and he tells me not to talk any more and he would make a phone call.

A little while later the duty sergeant takes me into an interrogation room, uncuffs me, and stands toe-to-toe. He says they are going to cut me loose, and regardless of his own political beliefs, he didn't ever want to find out I was carrying again. Agreed? Agreed. (pffft)

As I was leaving, the desk officer told me I could come back the next day to get my gun, and joked that he hoped I didn't get mugged on the way home. I called my dad and he told me the station claimed I wasn't in custody. (That's the O-bubblegum button) I thanked my lucky stars I am white. I doubt the result would have been the same otherwise. I went back the next day and they returned my SIG, with the ammo in a tiny manilla envelope wrapped a hundred times with scotch tape. It was quite bizarre. As i left and rounded the building, I stepped into the landscape, loaded and holstered the gun.

Long story I know, but the point is that gun laws cannot be enforced on private property. And nearly all property is private. At least that's how it has been. Yes they fired me, and they also black-balled me so I got suddenly fired about 6 months later from another retail store.

Sign? What sign?? I can't think of any hospitals/medical offices I've been to that didn't have those signs. They're fun to look at as I walk past them, carrying. And since it's legal for me to do so, I pay it no mind. The worst they can do to me (not an employee), is ask me to leave - but that would mean they need to know I have a gun to begin with - and we all know that concealed means concealed. I've never been 'made' for carrying, so I don't worry about it.

Now, as an employee, they do have a right to terminate you if they find out you have a gun, in violation of the policies you agreed to as a condition of employment. With that in mind, carrying would be a bit of a risk, but a small one if you know how to conceal well and don't leave your gun sitting on the back of the toilet after dropping a deuce :eek: Honestly, the only time they should ever be aware you were carrying (I don't know if you do at work), would be if you pulled the gun in defense of your own life. At that point, you may lose a job, but you'll still be alive, and can look for another. Dead and employed is worth nothing. Living and unemployed is simply searching for the next opportunity.
Definitely agree. It's against policy in the clinic I work in and wearing scrubs is hard as well. Drilling for a combative person or weapon is interesting. Thought about a small ankle carry option ( revolver / ruger lcp) just in that rare chance. Where I work even has it against policy to have it in your vehicle. I can deal with not carrying while working (to a degree) but I want it on me when i come or go.

Looking at this that appears to be the case. Also, private property that serves the public
such as a hospital, restaurant and legal considered public places

They have a right to put up the signs, they have a right to ask people not to carry, but the only law they can use to enforce it is trespass (I can't find the ORS reference to that, that comes from years of reading stories about people that were caught carrying). So it is legal, under Oregon law, to carry on their property, though they do have the right to ask you to leave their property - they cannot charge you with any 'gun crime' under Oregon law.

§ 166.370¹
Possession of firearm or dangerous weapon in public building or court facility

• exceptions
• discharging firearm at school
(1) Any person who intentionally possesses a loaded or unloaded firearm or any other instrument used as a dangerous weapon, while in or on a public building, shall upon conviction be guilty of a Class C felony.
(2)(a) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, a person who intentionally possesses:

(A) A firearm in a court facility is guilty, upon conviction, of a Class C felony. A person who intentionally possesses a firearm in a court facility shall surrender the firearm to a law enforcement officer.
(B) A weapon, other than a firearm, in a court facility may be required to surrender the weapon to a law enforcement officer or to immediately remove it from the court facility. A person who fails to comply with this subparagraph is guilty, upon conviction, of a Class C felony.
(b) The presiding judge of a judicial district may enter an order permitting the possession of specified weapons in a court facility.
(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
(a) A sheriff, police officer, other duly appointed peace officers or a corrections officer while acting within the scope of employment.
(b) A person summoned by a peace officer to assist in making an arrest or preserving the peace, while the summoned person is engaged in assisting the officer.
(c) An active or reserve member of the military forces of this state or the United States, when engaged in the performance of duty.
(d) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 (Issuance of concealed handgun license) and 166.292 (Procedure for issuing) to carry a concealed handgun.
(e) A person who is authorized by the officer or agency that controls the public building to possess a firearm or dangerous weapon in that public building.
(f) An employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, who possesses a firearm in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife.
(g) Possession of a firearm on school property if the firearm:
(A) Is possessed by a person who is not otherwise prohibited from possessing the firearm; and
(B) Is unloaded and locked in a motor vehicle.
(4) The exceptions listed in subsection (3)(b) to (g) of this section constitute affirmative defenses to a charge of violating subsection (1) of this section.
(5)(a) Any person who knowingly, or with reckless disregard for the safety of another, discharges or attempts to discharge a firearm at a place that the person knows is a school shall upon conviction be guilty of a Class C felony.
(b) Paragraph (a) of this subsection does not apply to the discharge of a firearm:
(A) As part of a program approved by a school in the school by an individual who is participating in the program;
(B) By a law enforcement officer acting in the officers official capacity; or
(C) By an employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife.
(6) Any weapon carried in violation of this section is subject to the forfeiture provisions of ORS 166.279 (Forfeiture of deadly weapons).
(7) Notwithstanding the fact that a persons conduct in a single criminal episode constitutes a violation of both subsections (1) and (5) of this section, the district attorney may charge the person with only one of the offenses.
(8) As used in this section, dangerous weapon means a dangerous weapon as that term is defined in ORS 161.015 (General definitions). [1969 c.705 §§2,4; 1977 c.207 §2; 1979 c.398 §2; 1989 c.839 §22; 1989 c.982 §5; 1991 c.67 §39; 1993 c.625 §1; 1999 c.782 §7; 1999 c.1040 §4; 2001 c.666 §§24,36; 2003 c.614 §6; 2009 c.556 §6]

2015 ORS 164.265¹
Criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm

(1) A person commits the crime of criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm who, while in possession of a firearm, enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises.

(2) Criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm is a Class A misdemeanor. [1979 c.603 §2]

2015 ORS 164.265¹
Criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm

(1) A person commits the crime of criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm who, while in possession of a firearm, enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises.

(2) Criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm is a Class A misdemeanor. [1979 c.603 §2]
Signs carry no weight of law in Oregon except for federal buildings. So target or Buffalo Wild Wings has a policy or sign. It has no legal bounding. Now if they see you carrying in their business and ask you to leave and you comply, no issues. If you don't comply that's when you get in to trespassing issues.

This is why concealed means concealed. Look as what happened recently (I can't rememeber the specific where) at a Costco with an off duty cop that was carrying.

These prohibitions will continue until there are successful lawsuits from the families of CHL holder victims who would have been carrying were it not for the policy of the property owners. A sucessful suit would be based on the fact that mass shootings happen principally in areas where firearms are prohibited, and the property owner is negligent for not providing security adequate to deter this threat.

Once this liability is established, owners and their insurance companies will have to either allow CHL carrying, or (if they still want to prohibit firearms) provide adequate armed guards.

This is a old thread but there have been a lot lately .my work place put up a sign like that a year or two ago but at the next meeting we told them they where stupid for putting the sign up.we told them they would be much safer if they put a sign up that said SOME OF ARE EMPLOYEES ARE ARMED YOU GUESS WITCH ONES .any way they took the sign down

When I asked management about tasers, they said we are over budget for 2017 blah blah. You know... that libtard lingo they use on you to distract and divert your attention. It's funny how they are on top of it when it comes to their bonuses but when it comes to........... never mind, I digress :mad:

So anyway, apparently some campuses and certain officers at Providence are testing out tasers. Do I think our hospital will allow us to carry tasers in the near future? I doubt it but something is in the works.

Oh on the positive side, I finally met someone at work who was carrying hahahaha. I wanted to kiss this person and hug them and hold their hand and skip through the healing garden at work hahahaha. :rolleyes:

This person is responsible, is licensed to carry, and has military experience. I would never nark on this person no matter what the BS policy is. I feel safer with this person at work and people have no idea she/he has access to a firearm tehehehehehe.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top