JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Management reacts to the loudest complaints. Don't waste time talking to Management. Educate the employees. Perhaps they will feel vulnerable. Especially those in ER. Maybe they will become the loudest complaint, and Management will react.

I think I'll get friendly with the security guards, as they have to come to my unit daily because of the particular type of patients I work with. Soon I'll ask them "so I noticed some new signs around here, how do you feel about that?" My direct coworkers are mostly of the lefty hippy dippy persuasion, so it would be a waste, and might actually be detrimental for me to engage them in this type of conversation.

I should note that my unit is something that I would consider a necessary secure zone, as in no weapons are present, but it is also locked and has several locked doors to pass through before even getting to it. I'm sure most of us would agree that carrying a gun on a psychiatric unit is a bad idea.

Hadn't thought of the discrimination that goes with not having urinals in the ladies room for those "feel like a woman days". Someone needs to call the LGBTFQXYZ folks and complain about it! :rolleyes:

Of course, this sign has no real legal significance in Oregon, but I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas of how to "educate" the Providence overlords as to the danger of putting such signs up around the hospital.

Thanks!

***If this question is better suited for another forum, please move it***

View attachment 296615

No, I am afraid that it does have some legal significance in Oregon. Any employee of the hospital can be legally terminated for violating this rule. And anyone else violating it can be legally trespassed, as others have mentioned.

We have signs at the hospital I work at too. Patients can check their firearms, knives, pepper spray, baton etc. with security.
Technically I guess I could go to work armed and check the firearm in to keep it secure until I am ready to leave.
I don't know of any employees by name or what they look like but I have heard that employees do carry to/at work.
We don't search anyone unless they have checked in as a patient and or I have cause/reason to search. Other than that, someone can come in with a tennis bag with an AR pistol in it and we wouldn't know.

As part of the security staff, I get to carry pepper spray, a multi-tool, and a pocket knife (as far as "weapons" go) I have also spent $975 of my own money on body armor. My job does not provide body armor and I don't get a discount on body armor.

Last year we had a guy come inside the hospital and say there was a person outside with a gun. He then exited the building and long story short, he ended up getting shot by police.... suicide by cop!

So I try to be safe and reasonable but I don't fool myself, at any time an unstable person could come on the hospital campus/property and start stabbing or shooting people and we are told to run, hide, fight.
Every time there is a mass shooting, employees ask me, are you guys gonna start carrying guns?

The high ups will not allow us to be armed for many reasons I'm sure.... and it's sad that people have to lose their lives until something changes. I wish we were more like OHSU... I wish we were armed.

20160614_041506.jpg
As far as a valid CHL goes, that's a no go because we are a private property that is open to the public so just because I have a valid CHL, I am still not allowed to conceal carry and if I did and got caught, I am sure I'll be saying bye bye to my job and DPSST security license :(

We have signs at the hospital I work at too. Patients can check their firearms, knives, pepper spray, baton etc. with security.
Technically I guess I could go to work armed and check the firearm in to keep it secure until I am ready to leave.
I don't know of any employees by name or what they look like but I have heard that employees do carry to/at work.
We don't search anyone unless they have checked in as a patient and or I have cause/reason to search. Other than that, someone can come in with a tennis bag with an AR pistol in it and we wouldn't know.

As part of the security staff, I get to carry pepper spray, a multi-tool, and a pocket knife (as far as "weapons" go) I have also spent $975 of my own money on body armor. My job does not provide body armor and I don't get a discount on body armor.

Last year we had a guy come inside the hospital and say there was a person outside with a gun. He then exited the building and long story short, he ended up getting shot by police.... suicide by cop!

So I try to be safe and reasonable but I don't fool myself, at any time an unstable person could come on the hospital campus/property and start stabbing or shooting people and we are told to run, hide, fight.
Every time there is a mass shooting, employees ask me, are you guys gonna start carrying guns?

The high ups will not allow us to be armed for many reasons I'm sure.... and it's sad that people have to lose their lives until something changes. I wish we were more like OHSU... I wish we were armed.

View attachment 297412
As far as a valid CHL goes, that's a no go because we are a private property that is open to the public so just because I have a valid CHL, I am still not allowed to conceal carry and if I did and got caught, I am sure I'll be saying bye bye to my job and DPSST security license :(
I find it interesting that at the hospital you work at they have a place for patients to check in their guns or weapons but wont let you, an employee, carry a gun.

seems like society in general just wants to give the bad guys all the advantage, if your prepared society says you live in fear.... o_O

I find it interesting that at the hospital you work at they have a place for patients to check in their guns or weapons but wont let you, an employee, carry a gun.

seems like society in general just wants to give the bad guys all the advantage, if your prepared society says you live in fear.... o_O
Well I have yet to secure a firearm but once we (security) are aware of a firearm safekeeping call, we will clear the weapon, secure it, and lock it up. We don't have a special room for someone to go in etc. The only time I can technically carry on campus would be when I go to work and leave work. From what I have heard from management in my department is that I can have it on me when I get to work but I need to secure it and lock it up. Their main concern is safety and keeping a firearm out of someone's reach. I have a locker and I can probably secure a certified lock box in it, keep my firearm in it. So while it's nice to have a few options, in a SHTF, my gun locked up does nothing for me.

We had a firearms safety training a few months back and a few of the selected staff members cleared it with the high ups and they brought 10-15 unloaded pistols to work. We had two tables of unloaded hand guns to work with. I got paid to fondle guns that day and it was sweeeet lol.

Well I have yet to secure a firearm but once we (security) are aware of a firearm safekeeping call, we will clear the weapon, secure it, and lock it up. We don't have a special room for someone to go in etc. The only time I can technically carry on campus would be when I go to work and leave work. From what I have heard from management in my department is that I can have it on me when I get to work but I need to secure it and lock it up. Their main concern is safety and keeping a firearm out of someone's reach. I have a locker and I can probably secure a certified lock box in it, keep my firearm in it. So while it's nice to have a few options, in a SHTF, my gun locked up does nothing for me.

We had a firearms safety training a few months back and a few of the selected staff members cleared it with the high ups and they brought 10-15 unloaded pistols to work. We had two tables of unloaded hand guns to work with. I got paid to fondle guns that day and it was sweeeet lol.

baby steps....

how progressive of management... to allow such a firearms safety class, but still require you to be disarmed while on the job o_O

that's how I got the clearance to carry at work. Gun free zone, then had patients threaten to kill me. I said let me carry or pay for a security guard like the hospital has. No way in hell they would pay another salary. so I got the official clearance to carry. I would have found work elsewhere if they didnt. We all did get free pepper spray though

that's how I got the clearance to carry at work. Gun free zone, then had patients threaten to kill me. I said let me carry or pay for a security guard like the hospital has. No way in hell they would pay another salary. so I got the official clearance to carry. I would have found work elsewhere if they didnt. We all did get free pepper spray though

someone with the deciding factor was either pro gun or has some level of logic because if that person was totally anti gun they would have given you "run, hide, fight" training with a tactical stapler.... or maybe at least scalple since your a doctor.

:p

someone with the deciding factor was either pro gun or has some level of logic because if that person was totally anti gun they would have given you "run, hide, fight" training with a tactical stapler.... or maybe at least scalple since your a doctor.

:p
We had to watch the run, hide, fight video. It was mandatory. Several staff members were quite concerned since there is no easy back exit for us and windows dont open. I said, dont worry I will be going toward the shooter while they are running and if needed I have a rifle in the car in a quick access safe that I can get to in less than 30 seconds. Much better than the 10 minute police response time when we had to call them

We had to watch the run, hide, fight video. It was mandatory. Several staff members were quite concerned since there is no easy back exit for us and windows dont open. I said, dont worry I will be going toward the shooter while they are running and if needed I have a rifle in the car in a quick access safe that I can get to in less than 30 seconds. Much better than the 10 minute police response time when we had to call them

I wish my management was as cool as your management. If I told them I had a rifle in my car to protect THEM they would fire me for breaking their GFZ policy...

My "management" showed me the Kimber 1911 her husband gave her for her Birthday. :)

I was right, your manager is pro gun.

That makes you an exception. Count your blessing... most of us will never be able to defend ourselves at the workplace.

Sign or no sign, I'd wager that there is language in your Providence employment manual specifically prohibiting weapons (of any kind).

The hospital I work at stipulates having a weapon as immediate grounds for termination. There is no language in regards to permitted or non-permitted carry.
This is a true statement. There is language in the employee handbook/manual that stipulates that carrying is grounds for immediate termination. Anywhere on the premises; if I am not mistaken, even in the parking lots/garages.

I worked at Legacy and we couldn't even have pocket knives because it might intimidate your fellow employee. The active shooter response was a joke, if the shooter finds you they recommended yelling and throwing stuff at them.

But it does not mean you can suspend Rights. Like search and seizure laws.
Keep going, I have one more post in this thread for you to quote.

And I don't need to search anyone on my property. If you are asked to leave then do so or be removed by force.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top