JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My kids are by far the most important things in my life...
My Daughter... oh my Daughter..

She is absolutely beautiful, just turned 18(born on THE 9/11) she is a senior in High School, Captain of the Color Guard/Drill/dance team, straight As, and has rare determination...and with that comes an extreme stubbornness.
The day she turned 18 she registered to vote, and made a list of everything she needed to do to be a responsible adult and get ready for college.
She plans on attending Central next fall to study nutrition... has already taken her SATs, and is taking some classes at the community college next term to get a head start. she knows things are tight for us, and she figured she would take it upon herself to find a way to pay for college on her own,and sat down with the National Guard recruiter at school a couple weeks ago. He laid out all the benefits, which of course were exactly what she was looking for, and long story short... she took the ASVAB. She was hoping to get over 70... but scored in the high 80s... of course this made her even more excited to join, because she now qualified for any job she wanted... but ultimately she landed on parachute rigger so she can jump out of airplanes on the weekends to offset the boring nutrition related courses she'll be taking for the next couple years.(definitely my kid!)
Her new goal is to "become 150lbs of dont f*** with me" and she figures going through boot camp will help achieve that.
I am VERY proud of her and support her 100%, but can't help but wonder if this is the best path for her...
on one hand she, nor I, will have to worry about paying for her school... but it's a 3 year commitment with the possibility of getting called to serve if war happens.
So by the time her 3 years is up... she'll have her associates degree, and at that point she can decide if she wants to peruse the exciting field of nutrition, or re-enlist and use that high asvab score to go into a field that would line up with one of the 3 letter agencies as an intelligence agent....a second option if she decides nutrition/dietician isn't for her.

So ya... proud and terrified!
I'm the last one to give advise, but sounds like me. I had full athletic scholarships for two universities and three state colleges. There was some serious home problems with a step father who had problems keeping his word. Grades were above average, but very high rated scholastic rated school. It reached a point where I needed to have some stability and definite plans in my life that was not getting from home. At 17, joined the Marines. I was placed in an active Reserve Rifle Company until I could graduate from high school the following June. June 10th after HS graduation I headed for MCRD San Diego for 13 weeks of Boot. Graduated without problems 2nd high Expert Shooter in the series, promoted to PFC. Sent to Camp Pendleton. Ca. for a month of Individual Combat Training, followed by a month of Advanced Combat Training. Leave with a return to Recon assignment of schools for basic Army Jump and Navy basic or BUD before assigned back to Pendleton. Recon After serving Marine duty I was able to break into working for the fire service where I earned a degree in Fire Science and work various steps from a county fire department, to a city, to Federal, and retirement. It's kind of up to what your daughter has in her as to what direction she is going to take...Sooner or later she will walk her own path, make her own gains, and yep even make her own mistakes. Hopeful the last won't be many, but it sounds like she will come out of it with all kinds of character she earned. I realize it's going to be hard to let go!

I think you meant @Mygrainman. Or there is some serious splainin' to do.

:p
Was CountryGent formerly a cable repairman?

(giggle)

View attachment 625425
Me thinks somebody might be hittin the sauce a bit tonight!

Though that was aimed at another, well, I can't argue with that, but not nearly to the point I should on that front. Phone has been acting up and I've been trying to communicate with a couple new friends for shenanigans in coming days. And I lost my train of thought.:p

ETA...
there was a little hold up with her medical, and she didn't swear in today.....those folks at MEPS are VERY thorough! She has to get some waivers and whatnot. A few extra hoops...
Id be lying if I said I was upset at this... to be honest I'm a little relieved, well maybe a lot relieved for the extra time to plan.. she was upset at first, but quickly saw it as an opportunity as well.
I've got a lot of great advice, and there is a lot for her to think about.
Thanks to those that reached out... your help and advice is greatly appreciated.
Well most of it anyway ;)

4243CAF3-1814-47F7-8550-162389E18068.jpeg
Everyone who has been to MEPS knows the truth of this meme!

Hello,

I am late to this thread.

God bless your daughter and may He keep her safe.

Congrats to you too!

Sincerely,

Old Lady Cate

I'd be surprised if there is an NG bonus. While there are ?-2 houses everywhere becoming an Alphabet Agent typically requires Regular Army time. The cost of a TS-SI is quite high. That being said...leaving Berlin in uniform and moving to Ft. Meade in a suit led to a kick-a$$ career. I wouldn't change a thing in my career.

Thank you for raising a Soldier with American values. Hoo-ah, Dad!!

My kids are by far the most important things in my life...
My Daughter... oh my Daughter..

She is absolutely beautiful, just turned 18(born on THE 9/11) she is a senior in High School, Captain of the Color Guard/Drill/dance team, straight As, and has rare determination...and with that comes an extreme stubbornness.
The day she turned 18 she registered to vote, and made a list of everything she needed to do to be a responsible adult and get ready for college.
She plans on attending Central next fall to study nutrition... has already taken her SATs, and is taking some classes at the community college next term to get a head start. she knows things are tight for us, and she figured she would take it upon herself to find a way to pay for college on her own,and sat down with the National Guard recruiter at school a couple weeks ago. He laid out all the benefits, which of course were exactly what she was looking for, and long story short... she took the ASVAB. She was hoping to get over 70... but scored in the high 80s... of course this made her even more excited to join, because she now qualified for any job she wanted... but ultimately she landed on parachute rigger so she can jump out of airplanes on the weekends to offset the boring nutrition related courses she'll be taking for the next couple years.(definitely my kid!)
Her new goal is to "become 150lbs of dont f*** with me" and she figures going through boot camp will help achieve that.
I am VERY proud of her and support her 100%, but can't help but wonder if this is the best path for her...
on one hand she, nor I, will have to worry about paying for her school... but it's a 3 year commitment with the possibility of getting called to serve if war happens.
So by the time her 3 years is up... she'll have her associates degree, and at that point she can decide if she wants to peruse the exciting field of nutrition, or re-enlist and use that high asvab score to go into a field that would line up with one of the 3 letter agencies as an intelligence agent....a second option if she decides nutrition/dietician isn't for her.

So ya... proud and terrified!

Cangrats to both her and you Kevin. At least you will not have to worry about who she dates and you can put the shotgun away....lol:rolleyes:

Cangrats to both her and you Kevin. At least you will not have to worry about who she dates and you can put the shotgun away....lol:rolleyes:
Oh.. I still worry... she has bunch of them chasing after her. She can probably kick most of their arses... but her heart is still under my protection.:s0012:

Consider active duty

This. My own experience is RA, USAR, and ARNG. Things have changed over the years but in my mind a young person starting from zip would gain the best experience from total immersion. I've been on both sides of this. There are advantages both ways, but so much is completely dependent upon the individual involved and their reaction to the experience.

The young woman might be well advised to do some shopping. At least talk to an active army recruiter and see what they say. Or the other services.

Okay, about that three year enlistment. Yes, initial enlistees may elect a three year contractual obligation. However, all initial enlistees also incur a concurrent eight year national obligation, called the Military Service Obligation. So if they want to bail after three years, they are still on the hook for the remaining five years as an Individual Ready Reservist (IRR). You don't have to attend drill or AT as an IRR, but you are required to muster from time to time for administrative purposes. More importantly, you are still subject to activation during this time with a unit or as an individual replacement. This is the kind of fine print to be considered.

Airborne units in the ARNG are fairly rare. So far as I know, the only airborne qualified unit in the WA ARNG is a small SF detachment which is pretty competitive.

This woman is at one of the most important points in military service. Just before they first join up. Careful moves here are important. More mistakes are made at this point in a military career experience than any other.

Best wishes to her in starting out on this journey.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree with GMERKT. She can enlist in a reserve component, select her MOS (military occupational specialty) and if she likes it -she can "ship over' or sign up for regular army, etc. This way if she does her 6 months active for training and does not like the military, being away from home, etc she can serve out her enlistment through the reserves. If she likes it she can stay for as long as they will have her.

I did not know that. The Marines were always big on getting a reservist to ship over. Marine reservists were able to select their MOS but not regulars but that was years ago.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top