JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My kids are by far the most important things in my life...
My Daughter... oh my Daughter..

She is absolutely beautiful, just turned 18(born on THE 9/11) she is a senior in High School, Captain of the Color Guard/Drill/dance team, straight As, and has rare determination...and with that comes an extreme stubbornness.
The day she turned 18 she registered to vote, and made a list of everything she needed to do to be a responsible adult and get ready for college.
She plans on attending Central next fall to study nutrition... has already taken her SATs, and is taking some classes at the community college next term to get a head start. she knows things are tight for us, and she figured she would take it upon herself to find a way to pay for college on her own,and sat down with the National Guard recruiter at school a couple weeks ago. He laid out all the benefits, which of course were exactly what she was looking for, and long story short... she took the ASVAB. She was hoping to get over 70... but scored in the high 80s... of course this made her even more excited to join, because she now qualified for any job she wanted... but ultimately she landed on parachute rigger so she can jump out of airplanes on the weekends to offset the boring nutrition related courses she'll be taking for the next couple years.(definitely my kid!)
Her new goal is to "become 150lbs of dont f*** with me" and she figures going through boot camp will help achieve that.
I am VERY proud of her and support her 100%, but can't help but wonder if this is the best path for her...
on one hand she, nor I, will have to worry about paying for her school... but it's a 3 year commitment with the possibility of getting called to serve if war happens.
So by the time her 3 years is up... she'll have her associates degree, and at that point she can decide if she wants to peruse the exciting field of nutrition, or re-enlist and use that high asvab score to go into a field that would line up with one of the 3 letter agencies as an intelligence agent....a second option if she decides nutrition/dietician isn't for her.

So ya... proud and terrified!

I'd be a super proud dad. One thing recruiters don't mention is CID (Criminal Investigation Division) with high scores you can get accepted. Once out of AIT she would be a Warrant Officer and the training and duty would get her into one of the 3 letter agencies like greased lightening. It's worthwhile asking but they do not talk much about it as it is a part of the Intelligence community.

Congrats on the daughter Mygrain. She's clearly smart enough to find her path, that means you don't have to fear (as much), ... it's good to be a proud papa.

And Andy and Kruel J, thank you. I understand some posts were deleted on this thread, I appreciate that you mostly let us roll - I'm both a 1st and 2nd amendment type:), it's difficult to pick and choose what is out of bounds. You do a good job of gently and wisely walking the line.

And Andy and Kruel J, thank you. I understand some posts were deleted on this thread, I appreciate that you mostly let us roll - I'm both a 1st and 2nd amendment type:), it's difficult to pick and choose what is out of bounds. You do a good job of gently and wisely walking the line.
Thanks for the kinda words...
That said I really didn't do any moderating here...other than giving , I hope , a well tempered reply to a post that I did not agree with...
Andy

I've taught American Kenpo karate to adult for fifty years. Protect your loved ones, have her take lessons in a good street deefense art. What they teach you in the service is nothing. But if she learns something, it's no good unless she practices two times a week for ten minutes or so. You build muscle memory and if you're scared, it doesn't matter because muscle memory will protect you. Anyway, I don't may money on my books, so you might want to get her one of my self defense book on amazon. The one I would suggest is: "Kenpo Self Defense + 4th & 5th degree Black New Techniques."
Take care
Sifu 10th degree AKJ-American Kenpo

full_of_win.jpg

Congratulations (to the both of you).

Aloha, Mark

Congrats on the daughter Mygrain. She's clearly smart enough to find her path, that means you don't have to fear (as much), ... it's good to be a proud papa.

How did I get mentioned here? My now-deleted posts were straight out of the "How to Get Banned from NWFA" playbook. :D

Sometimes my ability to "be excellent" to those that aren't is lacking. Oh well. Some say tomato, I say phuck it.

But @Siglvr you're welcome. I guess? :s0140:

@Mygrainman

Sorry I'm late to the party!

I've oft repeated the mantra of Dr. Laura Schlessinger that the job of a parent is to turn out citizens that are a benefit to others in society. Sounds like you did great Dad!!!

Congrats!!!!!

As long as your daughter is going to sign on for a military commitment, I would council that she seriously consider an ROTC/OCS track rather than enlisted. That would probably consume about the same amount of time and afterwards she'd make a lot more money, have much better quarters, and have a better shot at good jobs when she gets out.

From what I've seen about the female experience in today's military, officer or enlisted, I would also council she become proficient in close quarters hand to hand combat and deescalation psychology and tactics, etc.. Eyes open-radar up!~ Just sayin'..

If she stays with the enlisted thing, impress upon her the training opportunities she has access to, and have her seriously consider what the value of same will be in the civilian world. Life is long, and, in the big picture, I see few opportunities for parachute riggers. Would be a good qual for a smoke jumper though.

Congratulations Mygrainman I wish you and her all the best.

Being she is going into nutrition, my wife graduated with a BS in Nutrition and is a Registered Dietician later getting a masters in the same field, have her look into internships through public organizations. My wife interned at a local hospital that had stipends. So she essentially was paid. Have her look at the VA, WIC, Public Health, the counties in your area. There are tons of great internships available. With her grades, she could easily get into one.

I'll ask my wife too, she usually is fairly familiar with WA and OR programs looking for interns. PM me if you think she may want any more information.

Last Edited:
Congratulations @CountryGent I wish you and her all the best.

Being she is going into nutrition, my wife graduated with a BS in Nutrition and is a Registered Dietician later getting a masters in the same field, have her look into internships through public organizations. My wife interned at a local hospital that had stipends. So she essentially was paid. Have her look at the VA, WIC, Public Health, the counties in your area. There are tons of great internships available. With her grades, she could easily get into one.

I'll ask my wife too, she usually is fairly familiar with WA and OR programs looking for interns. PM me if you think she may want any more information.

I think you meant @Mygrainman. Or there is some serious splainin' to do.

:p

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads