JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My kids are by far the most important things in my life...
My Daughter... oh my Daughter..

She is absolutely beautiful, just turned 18(born on THE 9/11) she is a senior in High School, Captain of the Color Guard/Drill/dance team, straight As, and has rare determination...and with that comes an extreme stubbornness.
The day she turned 18 she registered to vote, and made a list of everything she needed to do to be a responsible adult and get ready for college.
She plans on attending Central next fall to study nutrition... has already taken her SATs, and is taking some classes at the community college next term to get a head start. she knows things are tight for us, and she figured she would take it upon herself to find a way to pay for college on her own,and sat down with the National Guard recruiter at school a couple weeks ago. He laid out all the benefits, which of course were exactly what she was looking for, and long story short... she took the ASVAB. She was hoping to get over 70... but scored in the high 80s... of course this made her even more excited to join, because she now qualified for any job she wanted... but ultimately she landed on parachute rigger so she can jump out of airplanes on the weekends to offset the boring nutrition related courses she'll be taking for the next couple years.(definitely my kid!)
Her new goal is to "become 150lbs of dont f*** with me" and she figures going through boot camp will help achieve that.
I am VERY proud of her and support her 100%, but can't help but wonder if this is the best path for her...
on one hand she, nor I, will have to worry about paying for her school... but it's a 3 year commitment with the possibility of getting called to serve if war happens.
So by the time her 3 years is up... she'll have her associates degree, and at that point she can decide if she wants to peruse the exciting field of nutrition, or re-enlist and use that high asvab score to go into a field that would line up with one of the 3 letter agencies as an intelligence agent....a second option if she decides nutrition/dietician isn't for her.

So ya... proud and terrified!

She is absolutely beautiful, just turned 18(born on THE 9/11) she is a senior in High School, Captain of the Color Guard/Drill/dance team, straight As, and has rare determination...and with that comes an extreme stubbornness.
The day she turned 18 she registered to vote, and made a list of everything she needed to do to be a responsible adult and get ready for college.
She plans on attending Central next fall to study nutrition... has already taken her SATs, and is taking some classes at the community college next term to get a head start. she knows things are tight for us, and she figured she would take it upon herself to find a way to pay for college on her own,and sat down with the National Guard recruiter at school a couple weeks ago. He laid out all the benefits, which of course were exactly what she was looking for, and long story short... she took the ASVAB. She was hoping to get over 70... but scored in the high 80s... of course this made her even more excited to join, because she now qualified for any job she wanted... but ultimately she landed on parachute rigger so she can jump out of airplanes on the weekends to offset the boring nutrition related courses she'll be taking for the next couple years.(definitely my kid!)
Her new goal is to "become 150lbs of dont f*** with me" and she figures going through boot camp will help achieve that.
I am VERY proud of her and support her 100%, but can't help but wonder if this is the best path for her...
on one hand she, nor I, will have to worry about paying for her school... but it's a 3 year commitment with the possibility of getting called to serve if war happens.
So by the time her 3 years is up... she'll have her associates degree, and at that point she can decide if she wants to peruse the exciting field of nutrition, or re-enlist and use that high asvab score to go into a field that would line up with one of the 3 letter agencies as an intelligence agent....a second option if she decides nutrition/dietician isn't for her.

Ya did good Dad! :)

Make sure she gets it all in writing. Parachute rigger would I think assist jump Masters and I believe that's out of Georgia. Make sure the recruiting office doesn't screw her out of a bonus for enlisting either. When she's done with basic also make sure the orders she gets specifically state dates and times and double check for home town recruiting. I got screwed out of leave since supposedly I was slotted for home town recruiting but it wasn't on my orders. I lost 14 days of leave and got told sorry bud.

Tell her to double check everything that's being offered and get in writing or put in orders. The big green weanie doesn't discriminate.

Secondly there shouldn't be much worry about your daughter seeing contact since she's not in a primary contact MOS but more of a support role. Also might not be bad to educate her about adultery and thats real rampant around bases. Make sure she don't party with the infantry boys in Fort Benning either, being prior INF myself were roudy bubblegums tbh. Depending on what MOS (military job) she chooses to do, she can also use it as bargain chip to get choice of location since her asvab score is up and if she has a special contract. Otherwise it's gonna be meet the needs of the Army and deal with it.

Also being national guard means promos come a lot slower than being regular component. Best advice you can give her is, be at the right place right time right uniform and keep your head down and nose in the books in basic and never be that guy.....er gal.

Hope this helps! If you need more insight feel free to ask though my Info is from being a regular army INF who got boned on entry and time thru the ringer.

This is a good book to start off with and will help greatly Google Shopping - Produk tidak ditemukan

Also make sure she starts working on PT now to get used to running and push ups/sit ups and carrying weight. If her knowledge from the book is spot on and good APFT scores she will succeed very well in her unit.

Last Edited:
So first, congratulations dad, sounds like you raised a very special young lady, you have every reason to be proud.

My Fathers blessings be upon your daughter as she begins the adventure of adult life, guiding her path and keeping her in His protective fold, all the days of her life. Blessings upon you, mama and the entire family.

Well you do have to be Airborne qualified before you can go to Rigger school. Basic training and some sort of Advanced Individual Training I think, but rules change with time, so who knows. I guess there must be Rigger slots in the Oregon Guard. Good for her no matter.

Congratulations on raising a fine citizen! Joining the Navy was the second smartest I ever did. The very smartest thing I did was to marry another sailor. Two months ago we celebrated our 47 wedding anniversary. Our daughter was born in Italy, our son in Florida.
We have 5 grandkids.
Military life just what you make it, just like civilian life.
Please thank her for her service from an old Vietnam vet and his loving wife.

David and Dawn Sherman, Moxee, WA.

Airborne all the way...!
As noted above , make sure everything is in writing and all the I's are crossed and the T's dotted...

Airborne School...is a good tough school it was 3 weeks when I did it ...and we ran everywhere....went on to serve in LRRP / LRSD units which needed one to be both Airborne and Ranger qualified....Our riggers were top notch and given lots of respect.

I wish your daughter luck in her service....Don't take anything the Drill Sergeant says personally....And remember to drive on when things get tough and you want to quit....it really only seems impossible....I'd also suggest to volunteer for any school or job that sounds interesting...no sense in forgoing a opportunity to grow and learn.
Andy

Need more like her. I would respect her decision as she sounds very determined and knows what she wants. Not wishy washy and though young seems to have her head on very straight. Hard for us parents to watch our "kids" possibly go into harms way but there are many benefits to this path.......

Proud of her ! Wishing her great success in boot! Thank her for me - and thanks Mom for raising a young woman with a warrior defender spirit.

Good on her and on you for how she grew up. What she is doing is going to often be a challenge. Sounds like she wants that. The benefits will last her life as they should when it's over. May well mean she will be away from home for a good while in the near but you have every reason to be very proud.:)

I understand all your concerns as I have a Marine and a soldier. one of the proudest moments was to see them graduate Boot Camp but every day that they serve our nation is another day that I'm proud of them as I am grateful and proud of your daughter as well!

may God bless her and protect her and your family as well.

Kenny

While that is all good, as someone who joined the Army National Guard at 17, and did a lot of active duty and reserve time in various branches afterwards, these are my impressions for what it's worth:

If she is not locked into that MOS, choose something where her training and experience will benefit her in civilian life like cyber, electronic warfare, medical, contracting, or finance. People who get DAWIA certified in government contracting and have a little experience can earn big bucks in the private sector or get solid government positions. Same with electronic / cyber specialities.

I doubt that any National Guard Unit has the budget or aircraft availability to let their riggers do any jumps on drill weekends. Maybe during annual training.
Consider active duty. There is the option to work on college while on active duty, instead of partying. It is also steady employment.
Many employers do not want to hire reservists or National Guardsmen because of the risk of activations and training absences, which are increasing. They won't say it out loud or course, but I have experienced it.
Best of luck to your daughter.

... she now qualified for any job she wanted... but ultimately she landed on parachute rigger so she can jump out of airplanes on the weekends to offset the boring nutrition related courses....

Congrats to her and her parents!

One question i have..... all the "parachute riggers" that i knew were in a shop packing, checking, repacking parachutes. NOT jumping out of planes.

Does she plan on doing skydiving in her free time?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top