JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
only time I don't is when I'm using CCI quiets in a bolt action 22 for rodent control around the house...otherwise those $25 champion electronic muffs are great and I use a smoke/clear/yellow set of ballistic rated eyes

It's only a matter of time and the number of rounds you shoot before something goes wrong. If you shoot under 100 rounds per year through your hunting rig, the chances of a catastrophic failure are lower than lets say a competitive shooter that does 1000 rounds per week. I'm in the middle doing about 1200 rounds a month with practice and a couple of matches a month. Over the last 10 years I've had one factory squib, on factory double charge and one reload squib. I caught the squibs and was able to hammer the bullet out. The factory double charge did a real big bang and sent burning powder into my face. Luckily, eye was wearing shooting glasses and only suffered minor burn to my face.

As for shooting without hearing protection, even suppressed guns may be at 85 or 90dB. Continued exposure to this level can cause partial loss of hearing eventually.

I did something really stupid one time. I was working in a pit under a long range target. I forgot a rifle bullet can still be going supersonic at 500 or more yards. I was there without hearing protection and it sounded like the rifle was shot right next to me. The sonic boom was really loud and my ears still ring 15 years later. Dumb, real dumb on my part for not remembering the physics of shooting....we all want to maintain supersonic speed out to the target.

So far I've only shot on a range where eyes and ears are required before to can sign in and hit the firing line. I'm not a fan of muffs but will wear my electronics in colder weather. I have several sets of plugs for warmer days. My regular sunglasses are ANSI rated well within the required for shooting and I keep two pair of clear and a backup of shades in my range bag. I work on the theory "you can never be too careful". LOL

When I became a Range Safety Officer, I was gifted a pair of Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic ear muffs. A completely new experience for me, they have mics on each muff that you can set the audio gain for, up to some 3x normal hearing. They automatically dampen when they're hit with a sonic wave. I love them for shooting, especially at home-grown ranges in the woods where one needs to keep an ear and eye out for people passing by or approaching, but it feels like cheating to wear them hunting. I don't wear glasses or ear protection while hunting as it just blunts the senses. Statistically one shot (ideally it's one shot) won't do much, but ol' Murph is a persistent fellow (knocking on wood here).

When I became a Range Safety Officer, I was gifted a pair of Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic ear muffs. A completely new experience for me, they have mics on each muff that you can set the audio gain for, up to some 3x normal hearing. They automatically dampen when they're hit with a sonic wave. I love them for shooting, especially at home-grown ranges in the woods where one needs to keep an ear and eye out for people passing by or approaching, but it feels like cheating to wear them hunting. I don't wear glasses or ear protection while hunting as it just blunts the senses. Statistically one shot (ideally it's one shot) won't do much, but ol' Murph is a persistent fellow (knocking on wood here).
I don't feel like it is cheating at all. If I didn't wear hearing aids and had close to excellent hearing then maybe, but until I can hear like them, smell like them, and run like them then I still think the game has the upper hand. Back in my youth I hunted some huge cagey ole whitetails I knew were there from spotting them before season and those guys could make a mockery out of the best hunters. I would get on their track at first light in new snow and be damned if they would allow me a shot at them. Very seldom did I out smart ole mossy back while trying to stalk him from his tracks. When they know what you are up to which seems to be instantly, they can take you literally through hell and back and they will. One on one with these guys is futile and yes I did pack a lunch.

I don't feel like it is cheating at all. If I didn't wear hearing aids and had close to excellent hearing then maybe, but until I can hear like them, smell like them, and run like them then I still think the game has the upper hand. Back in my youth I hunted some huge cagey ole whitetails I knew were there from spotting them before season and those guys could make a mockery out of the best hunters. I would get on their track at first light in new snow and be damned if they would allow me a shot at them. Very seldom did I out smart ole mossy back while trying to stalk him from his tracks. When they know what you are up to which seems to be instantly, they can take you literally through hell and back and they will. One on one with these guys is futile and yes I did pack a lunch.

Yes, I agree, hunting is challenging no matter what, (that's one reason why some of us love it!) and I in no way would fault anyone who needs hearing aides or whatever aid to get out and hunt. I'm just lucky I guess that I don't need it (yet!), and for me, solely, it feels like cheating, just for now.

Last Edited:
Yes, I agree, hunting is challenging no matter what, (that's one reason why some of us love it!) and I in no way would fault anyone who needs hearing aides or whatever aid to get out and hunt. I'm just lucky I guess that I don't need it (yet!), and for me, solely, it feels like cheating, just for now.
In Idaho when I lived there we could shoot what ever looked like a deer and even cow elk after the opening weekend, but when I moved to Washington I got a bit of culture shock. Bucks and bulls only, different seasons for muleys and whitetails etc. NEVER did I get skunked in Idaho come deer season and very seldom in elk season, but in Wa, I consider elk a waste of a tag and have been skunked on 3 points or better most times out here in the wheat fields. I've done pretty well last few seasons up north when i can shoot any antlers in the late season and picked up a forked horn and a spike. Wife don't care for venison so i have to eat it all myself but that is not a problem as I am bone dry by the time the season rolls around. Venison steak and eggs with fried potatoes for breakfast, Yeah baby that's what I am talking about!

Besides my hearing loss and forced to wear aids, Glasses are a must! I have had three pistol rounds come back and hit me, one in the left cheek, and I had on glasses every time! I have seen this happen so many times to fellow solders right next to me, that I wouldn't be caught with out. Hunting isn't a problem, the single shot isn't that bad, and glasses are not really needed, but there is always that one time.......... I probably should wear them all the time, not just when the sun is out!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top