JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
MY nephew doesn't have a car. Never has he works in the tech industry in Seattle and rids the train down when they come to visit his sister or for a family event. Great guy great dad great father. He owns a couple AR type rifles and most of what was his dads collection. In his world a car really isn't needed. They are inner city people they both work in the inner city and either bike or mass transit to what they need. So a car means little about a persons ethic's

So I'm just curious what everyone's thoughts are on this subject. When doing a private sale with a stranger, what steps do you take to avoid getting ripped off? Either with counterfeit bills or someone running off with with your money or gun. And making sure they're not a felon. I'm not worried about this group because we have ratings. But there are other Facebook groups where less is known about the person. Any input is appreciated.

If you are dealing with someone on Facebook, look at his profile. If you cannot verify from his profile that he has a job, then don't deal with him. Even if he is not a felon, he could be a scavenger trying to make money off re-selling your gun, and not really interested in it for himself.

Also, if you can verify from his profile that he is a family man supporting a wife and kids, that would also drastically lower the odds that he is a bad guy.

As far as avoiding being ripped off, demand that you meet in a public place. I've met people in front of Cabelas, which is very busy. But I have also dealt with people in my garage and front yard, where my neighbors and people passing by can see.

And Counterfeit bills are pretty easy to spot. Demand that they pay with new bills, which are basically impossible to forge. Demand large bills too, so that they are easy to count. If a guy shows up with a bunch of $20's, or even $50's for a big purchase, he could try a sleight-of-hand trick and cheat you badly.

I told him since I wasn't from the area I'd pick the public spot near him. Which was 122nd & Powell in SE. I'm not familiar with the area so I'll map it before and see if there is anywhere not not sketchy.
OH H3LL NO...not there!!
122nd Powell is only slightly worse than 162 or 182nd /Burnside aka: Rockwood.
Lets just say the area is no populated with undesirables.

I would strongly suggest moving further south like Clackamas Town Center or Fishermans in Oregon City.

If Happy Valley works, then New Seasons near Peets Coffee.

Public place, large parking lots so you can be out in the open but still have some privacy.... And who can afford to shoot guns that can't afford a car? That is a big red flag, as is the area of choice. Lots of good people in the area but it is the edge of felony flats for a reason.

I am waiting to hear the outcome to this.

So per ORS 166.470:
"a person may not intentionally sell, deliver or otherwise transfer any firearm when the transferor knows or reasonably should know that the recipient:" I am not going to list them. The key word in there is knows. IANAL but I have been taken to understand that unless you know the person is a felon, you are in the clear.

Now I have never sold a firearm without going to a dealer. But when I do purchase a new firearm I always check if it is stolen, get a bill of sale which has all of their information which I copy myself from their drivers license and I then immediately go to my friendly neighborhood FFL and get it transferred into my name so they can't later claim it is stolen. I have purchased off those Facebook groups in the past and have had good experiences.

GLWS!

Link for ORS: <broken link removed>

I live in Washington State. Criminals don't buy or sell guns here since I-594 passed. You would not believe the weight it has lifted from my shoulders.

:rolleyes:

As previously mentioned, buyer having no car would give me pause. Handy excuse though, "Yeah, I can't meet you outside a police station, you'll have to come where I want.."

"Well, the Reason I need to meet you in an alley is an interesting Topic, oh Hey! Look a butterfly!!! Now as I was saying, this alley has good visibilty and well, its away from the Badder Peoples in the 'hood, you should meet some of the.. No, DUDE, I am NOT on the phone wi yo Ho... Talk to me later about buying Crack..."

Or something like that.

philipism sell guns only in Public areas, look both ways when you cross the Street, Do Not take Candy from Strangers... Things my Momma taught me... :D

Well before I went to meet the individual I was cycling some some ammo through the pistol just to make sure it was functioning correctly as it was a recently acquired trade. The slide kept getting hung up and acting up. Not firing the pistol before I canceled the transaction as I want to shoot the gun to make sure it's reliable first. This must of been a sign lol too many red flags. Then later on in the day a friend of mine offered to buy it for the same price. So I'm selling it now another way. Thanks for everyone's advice though, all good tips for future transactions. As for good news I went and picked up a kahr cw 380 for a new carry gun. Nice little pistol, can't wait to take it to the range.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top