JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just been doing some reading about cities on the east coast, I could see it being far more difficult to protect your home back there than it would be here.
All you have to do is look at a population density map to see that almost anywhere west of the Mississippi is probably not a good area to be in if there were some kind of total collapse, or even just regional, where people migrate out of population centers looking for food and shelter.

pop_us_xlarge.png

Interesting map, too bad they don't have a map of historical references as to which big cities have riots. My first thought is those cities with high unemployment would be the ones to stay clear of. More than likely your neighbor would be a looter in a high unemployment town and not willing to help you defend the neighborhood.

Be nice to see a study done on who looters are and how they became looters. Would give some insight on your neighbors.o_O

Interesting map, too bad they don't have a map of historical references as to which big cities have riots. My first thought is those cities with high unemployment would be the ones to stay clear of. More than likely your neighbor would be a looter in a high unemployment town and not willing to help you defend the neighborhood.

Be nice to see a study done on who looters are and how they became looters. Would give some insight on your neighbors.o_O
Somehow I don't think my neighbors, farmers, doctors, machinists, engineers, CEOs, etc., all landowners, tend towards looting.

Somehow I don't think my neighbors, farmers, doctors, machinists, engineers, CEOs, etc., all landowners, tend towards looting.

Ya I kinda doubt if they would be looters unless they were not prepared and it all goes bad. You never see the real person until things get rough.

Ya I kinda doubt if they would be looters unless they were not prepared and it all goes bad. You never see the real person until things get rough.

True, but I would rather take my chances with them than unknown people from the city. They have all been out doing stuff on their land, several have tractors and other equipment, several are experienced and skilled hunters, a doctor is always good to have around, a number of them have firearms, several have military experience (one in the infantry) and my family name is known in these parts because we had a large farm here for about 80 years.

Sounds like you live around some pretty smart fellows, how is their character? Are they the kind to give up their life for the group while protecting your homes?

Of the things I think about I wonder more about people's character than their skill and ability.

Sounds like you live around some pretty smart fellows, how is their character? Are they the kind to give up their life for the group while protecting your homes?

Of the things I think about I wonder more about people's character than their skill and ability.
Everybody is different, but I like my immediate neighbors for the most part - they seem to be nice people. It seems that they help each other out. One neighbor gave me some elk meat the other day, another helped me by using his tractor several times to do something for me, they all came to welcome me when I moved here and offered to help if I needed anything. I never got that kind of welcome when I moved anywhere in the city.

I think what matters most is the knowledge of what these people have to lose. And in helping them to see both yours and their usefulness to the community. I do not mean this in a nefarious way. If they have children and a usefull skill, and are even moderately intelligent, they will realize they have a place and are needed by others. And that others with other skills will think the same way and will be willing to pay in kind. We will do what we can to protect each other and our children with the skills we each may have.
I can do about anything I settle my scatterbrained head on, but I will not blindly treat my sons through a bout of pneumonia or fumble my way through the debridement of a potentially lethal wound on my wife.
Many of our friends will not do some of the more nasty things that may be needed during SHTF. They know me, and have an idea of what I am capable of and that is a good thing in bad times.

In my rural residential area, the prepared and armed way out number the sheeple. I have no worries if SHTF came about in our area. One neighbor and I have discussed this at length and have a loose but very workable plan. Others in the hood are well armed and vary in their levels of skill and dedication, and there are some others who are completely clueless and would be nothing more than a drain, but would probably be preyed upon fairly quickly. Problem is, the are close enough to us to make it probable we would have to defend them to maintain our security.

I agree that most houses (like mine) are not defendable which is why I have places to do that are defendable and have bug out equipment at home, in my car and at work but the one at work has no firearms as they are not permitted there.

When people get hungry and their family gets hungry, humanity goes by the wayside.
Even the best people change.
Definatly true, but I think the point is that they are much much less likely to ever get to that point. As they are people that generally plan ahead, have stability, resources, something to fall back on and something to lose.
The"loan wolf" preparing for teotwawki while working a crappy job and renting his domicile in the shady parts of town is the one to watch out for. He will be looking to prove his "skills" to people that don't need them.

I agree that most houses (like mine) are not defendable which is why I have places to do that are defendable and have bug out equipment at home, in my car and at work but the one at work has no firearms as they are not permitted there.

I doubt many will last long that bug out, you just can't carry enough food. If the SHTF last any time at all most of those who bug out will become looters themselves or starve. Plus when you bug out you become the stranger in your new area, nobody will trust you.

Just opinion but why stockpile just to leave it all behind for looters? They run you out of your home and odds are you will starve to death on the road or be killed. I would rather die fighting to defend my home. I really think with the right mindset it is possible to put up a pretty good defense against looters. Look at those Korean store owners during the Rodney king riots, never lost a thing and stayed to protect their lives and futures.

I doubt many will last long that bug out, you just can't carry enough food. If the SHTF last any time at all most of those who bug out will become looters themselves or starve. Plus when you bug out you become the stranger in your new area, nobody will trust you.

Just opinion but why stockpile just to leave it all behind for looters? They run you out of your home and odds are you will starve to death on the road or be killed. I would rather die fighting to defend my home. I really think with the right mindset it is possible to put up a pretty good defense against looters. Look at those Korean store owners during the Rodney king riots, never lost a thing and stayed to protect their lives and futures.
I would defend my place until it I was not able to anymore then go to a designated location that about 10 of us have setup outside of the city. We have a cache that is well maintained and everyone has their responsibilities set according to their skills i.e. paramedic is in charge of health while several with experience in the military are responsible for guarding the are while several are food gathers etc.

I am confident in my skills to get out if needed knowing the area and what type of people are in it serves me well. Of course I would rather stay but things like shortages of food and water may circumvent this.

I would defend my place until it I was not able to anymore then go to a designated location that about 10 of us have setup outside of the city. We have a cache that is well maintained and everyone has their responsibilities set according to their skills i.e. paramedic is in charge of health while several with experience in the military are responsible for guarding the are while several are food gathers etc.

I am confident in my skills to get out if needed knowing the area and what type of people are in it serves me well. Of course I would rather stay but things like shortages of food and water may circumvent this.

All sounds pretty good, how long will a major SHTF last? o_O

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads