JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Correct me if I'm wrong but.......

I thought that EV Batteries like to be at the almost "fully discharged" point before being recharged, in order to get more life cycles and performance from the battery?

Aloha, Mark

That's not the way they work. Ideally, you keep a battery between 40% and 90% while it's just sitting. There's no problem charging to 100%, but best practice would be to charge from 90% to 100% just before you leave on your trip. The car can handle that for you, you just put it in the schedule. On the low end, ideally you don't let it sit at below 20%. The battery isn't going to fail if you do, but will degrade over time. If you want your battery to last 200,000 miles or more best practice is to plug it in when you get home and let the battery management system handle the rest. I keep mine maxed out at 75% at home because that's more than I'm going to drive in a day. (That's about 225 miles of range.) If I'm going on a trip, I'll tell the car to top off by the time I plan to leave. On a daily basis no thought required, just plug it in when you get home for the day.

Correct me if I'm wrong but.......

I thought that EV Batteries like to be at the almost "fully discharged" point before being recharged, in order to get more life cycles and performance from the battery?
As far as I know that's not a thing w/ lithium cells.

I usually have to wait 10-15 minutes in line at Costco to get to the pumps and then another 5-10 minutes to get fuel.
The local Costco isn't generally that busy here, and if it is I fill up next time. Once or maybe twice a year. No, I don't fuss about the price of gas so much, at least not directly.

As for a PHEV vs an electric, if you have a long commute ... fix that. If you can't fix it, then the EV will be better because the PHEV will have to burn gas. For people who drive 20 miles or less daily and typically, the PHEV is just the same for all practical purposes except it carries a 600 mile fuel reserve. Mine can cover a little over 30 miles on a full charge.

Brakes seldom used? Check. No multi-speed transmission? Yup, just a gear reduction, just like most EVs have. Reverse just runs the drive motor backwards. No oil changes? Only when the ICE needs it, which for me is estimated (by the onboard computer) to be after about 5 years of ownership. I'm going on 3 years now and the oil is 40% "used up" according to the computer. No routine fuel stops? Check. Accelerates as much as anyone has a need to on a public road? Check.

Last Edited:
Thank you Nak.

The Heretic,

Yes, the possibility of getting shocked while plugging in.....is remote. But, never underestimate a Politician.

THEN......many warnings everywhere are routinely ignored. Like : Letting the autonomous driver feature drive, while the driver is doing "whatever".

Rrrrrright.....but, it's TESLA's FAULT, not mine.

So anyway.......
The other day, I was wondering about those unattended Tesla vehicles plugged in at the charging station (along I-5) when I was traveling to Woodburn. (Was that at Woodburn?) Anyway......IIRC, no empty spaces were available. The vehicles were left plugged in (battery management will prevent overcharging-- Good). BUT, the owners did not appear to be hanging around their vehicles. Maybe, they went shopping? Or went to a nearby restaurant? Or maybe they went to a nearby motel?

So......say that I wanted to "fill up/top off" my EV on my way to Portland?

The question would be: 7 mins. I'd suspect that most people would be hanging around if it were that short a time to "fill up/top off" a battery. BUT if not......how does someone in real need.......get at least one of those guys to move?

Yeah....I'd guess that more than a few of them are just using the charging station as an exclusive/maybe even convenient parking spot.

At least at the TA GAS STATION.......I have a "reasonable expectation" that someone would/will be moving soon. LOL.

Awwww.....forgetabouit.....I'm just an impatient old codger.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
The other day, I was wondering about those unattended Tesla vehicles plugged in at the charging station (along I-5) when I went to Woodburn. Yup......no empty spaces were available.
I used to see that all the time in the malls in LA. Same cars would be parked in the same places, with no more than a few new faces, from the time we went in to the time we came back. Yes, all spaces full. Maybe (I assumed at the time) LA parking is more crowded than most other places.

I do think they are neat. Once supercapacitors or other tech allows a charge fast enough to merit requiring the operator to stay with the car until the charge is complete, and a charge will take a vehicle a minimum of 500 miles even in a Montana winter with the heat on, and chargers are maybe at least 1/5 as numerous as filling stations, yeah, then I'd give up the ICE.

Until that day, no thanks. I'll just drive past all the people waiting to charge up.

One of the Daimler offices had free charging stations, but only about ten of them. The same cars always parked there. The other Daimler office had stations powered by the megawatt solar panels on top of the parking garages, and they charged for them. Usually one or two open.

So anyway.......
The other day, I was wondering about those unattended Tesla vehicles plugged in at the charging station (along I-5) when I was traveling to Woodburn. (Was that at Woodburn?) Anyway......IIRC, no empty spaces were available. The vehicles were left plugged in (battery management will prevent overcharging-- Good). BUT, the owners did not appear to be hanging around their vehicles. Maybe, they went shopping? Or went to a nearby restaurant? Or maybe they went to a nearby motel?

So......say that I wanted to "fill up/top off" my EV on my way to Portland?

If you're plugged into a supercharger you have a limited amount of time to move your car after charging stops. If you don't, idle fees start accruing which are quite expensive. If you're parked at a charging spot and not charging, you risk an irate driver keying your car. For rural charging locations where there may only be one or two plugs, there are a couple of systems used--which may become unworkable as EV numbers increase. First, there's an app called Plugshare. People in out of the way locations check in on the app when they start charging. If another driver needs to charge, they can look on the app to see how long the first driver will be charging. I believe the option exists to message the charging driver as well. (I haven't needed to use that.) A lot of people will leave a note in their window with their phone number. This is pretty common in out of the way places with limited charging.

As far as topping up before a drive, you always leave home with a full "tank." As of yet, I have never needed to wait for a charger, nor has anyone ever been waiting for me to move my car. But then, I don't live in California.

Thanks again Nak.

I guess that is one reason why I frequently see some EV vehicles parked in the charging station spot (usually really close to the frt door of an establishment) though not actually plugged in.

Rrrrrright...."the nerve of some people".

Aloha, Mark

Yeah i actually took a trip to the urgent Care clinic in one a few years ago. Im told it was the husband of the UPS heirs. They had two of them and traded them to change colors every few days. It was impressive when he was showing it off.
My buddy in Alabama has one now. I need to get down there soon. Electric is totally the way to go i knew it driving all the forklifts and man lifts years ago. Its superior in every way.
I HATE changing oil on my cars and fixing them so im 100% on board with them. But we Will never be able to fully get away from oil. Not until be bio enginerd the piss out of every known living thing a few hundred years from now.

Not to mention the tesla cams wich are almost worth it alone.
I can't friggin wait to see the cybertruck officially launch.
Why do you hate crack addicts?

I guess that is one reason why I frequently see some EV vehicles parked in the charging station spot (usually really close to the frt door of an establishment) though not actually plugged in.

Rrrrrright...."the nerve of some people".
The stuff I observed in LA was, to be fair, quite a while back. Probably around 2014 to 2017 or so. I left before the model 3 was even out in volume. The EVs really make the most sense in places like SoCal, where it never gets really cold and long, often slow commutes are the rule rather than the exception. As another poster noted before, we even had charging stations available (and outlets if those were busy) in the corp parking structure.

There's been a rash of catalytic converter thefts in my complex lately. From what I understand though, I can't really protect my property with a gun. I'd have to go confront them and then see a weapon to draw and then defend myself. So I guess I'm supposed to sit inside and call the police while they saw away. While I'm not looking for conflict that seems pretty lame. I need the vehicle for work. Something these people clearly aren't worried about. Whatever. Not worth doing jail time over a car. :confused:
Sniper rifle from a high perch, night vision optics. Shoot around them.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top