JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm considering upgrading/replacing the OS on my old Toshiba NB255-N250 netbook, which currently runs the factory Windows 7 Starter OS; after having done the factory reset option when it was having problems due to some bad updates... hardware all seem to check out...

So far, as far as I can tell;

Intel Atom N455 32-bit 1.67 ghz processor; 516kb L2 Cache

1gb RAM

250gb Serial ATA hard drive

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150

Intel NM10 Express Chipset

all other info fairly common netbook information.

Well. I am wondering which Linux distro OS would fit the above best...

There's Puppy, Mint, Lubuntu, and a few others...and then there's the Android X86 OS option (which might give me the ability to have common apps..maybe.)

Against keeping the old Windows 7 Starter with manual updates.

So far, I only run a very few programs (Chrome, Media Player, and a word processor).

I was thinking a minimalist OS with only 3 basic applications would do me a world of good, however I do have a newer Canon scanner that I want to utilize for my artwork, and I'm concerned that it may be too new for the OS to deal with... I used to run a much larger ASUS laptop, but that one has been giving me problems.....

On another forum, there's been recommendations to swap the 1gb RAM for a 2gb RAM stick, and replace the old HD with a bigger SSD...... I'm considering doing that, but would like to run a better OS on this netbook, just so I don't deal with the MS Windows issues or any other potential issue.

I don't play games on the netbook, beyond the websudoku online game :rolleyes:

Mostly, I want to do better graphics/ media playing and better capability on scanning...speed maybe better, but its more the media player. I don't know if its possible to upgrade the graphics and still be on 32 bits OS? Seems I can't upgrade the chip to a 64 bit chip o_O

With the specs of your netbook, I'd ditch the whole idea and look at better hardware. The CPU, RAM and video chipset are all ancient, spec-wise.

but but but it works.....its not giving me problems now, and I'd rather not need to acquire more....not after having had 5 or 6 laptops before this, that all broke :eek: (mostly the hinges, sometimes the screen just goes out and never comes back, or the hard drives fail..., granted, most of the previous laptops were the budget ones, like the Dell and Acer and the old of the old HP XP machines)

EDIT: Also, I do not want to have to get a new machine filled with bloatware and crap when I only need 3 applications to run at the most :rolleyes: I was hoping I would be able to run 3 applications and nothing else, and dedicate the machine to just being a netbook/media display system.

Actually..... the ASUS laptop is a fair bit newer machine.... just it needs a lot of work to get it back to regular operating..... but the OS on it has been changed to Win 10 and its been giving me a hell of issues with refusing to recognize ASUS' drivers for its graphics :mad:

If its not going to be your main computer, it sounds like it might be a fun project. Shrink your Windows OS and dual booting might be an option. Check out some of the Live CD's from the various distros and try find one you like, then install. Backup/Image your drive first though...

I really like Puppy Linux (and its big brother Fat Dog). It's lightweight, fast, and reasonably feature rich.

I'm considering upgrading/replacing the OS on my old Toshiba NB255-N250 netbook, which currently runs the factory Windows 7 Starter OS; after having done the factory reset option when it was having problems due to some bad updates... hardware all seem to check out...

So far, as far as I can tell;

Well. I am wondering which Linux distro OS would fit the above best...

There's Puppy, Mint, Lubuntu, and a few others...and then there's the Android X86 OS option (which might give me the ability to have common apps..maybe.)

Against keeping the old Windows 7 Starter with manual updates.

So far, I only run a very few programs (Chrome, Media Player, and a word processor).

I was thinking a minimalist OS with only 3 basic applications would do me a world of good, however I do have a newer Canon scanner that I want to utilize for my artwork, and I'm concerned that it may be too new for the OS to deal with... I used to run a much larger ASUS laptop, but that one has been giving me problems.....

On another forum, there's been recommendations to swap the 1gb RAM for a 2gb RAM stick, and replace the old HD with a bigger SSD...... I'm considering doing that, but would like to run a better OS on this netbook, just so I don't deal with the MS Windows issues or any other potential issue.

I don't play games on the netbook, beyond the websudoku online game :rolleyes:

Mostly, I want to do better graphics/ media playing and better capability on scanning...speed maybe better, but its more the media player. I don't know if its possible to upgrade the graphics and still be on 32 bits OS? Seems I can't upgrade the chip to a 64 bit chip o_O

Eh; all of my important documents are on an USB drive. the HD is practically like new in terms of memory storage, other than the internet temp files which does get cleaned up every so often.

I uninstalled the bloatware on this thing, and its not as nice as I would like it to be...although it works quite a bit better than the previous laptops I had. It's basically a travel/media laptop.

With the specs of your netbook, I'd ditch the whole idea and look at better hardware. The CPU, RAM and video chipset are all ancient, spec-wise.

That was going to be my suggestion as well.

You can get a way better laptop for $300.

If not then stick with the original software is my rule of thumb.

Heck, I might have a better laptop that you can have for free. I used to run a part-time computer repair biz and an Indian guy dropped it off and never picked it up. I think his visa ran out and he went back home.

it just feels wasteful to "ditch" this computer when it's working..... I'm sure many of you would be like 'hell no" if someone suggested "ditch your old wood and steel rifle for the latest ARthingimijig" :p Yeah I know, not quite a fair comparison..... my primary device at home is my phone, secondary, the custom pc, and this is just the one that get used while the phone is being charged.

My suggestion. Copy/remove any important documents or files. Try Linux.

Here's the install for Ubuntu Linux:
Install Ubuntu desktop | Ubuntu tutorials

After the install, expect to have the auto-update process run and download any of the latest fixes.

People will have strong opinions on the Linux variants. Ubuntu seems good enough. It installs with Firefox for web browsing, Libre Office (a Microsoft Office equivalent), will recognize your WiFi, and will likely recognize your printer. These capabilities probably sufficient for 80% of the population.

My suggestion. Copy/remove any important documents or files. Try Linux.

Here's the install for Ubuntu Linux:
Install Ubuntu desktop | Ubuntu tutorials

After the install, expect to have the auto-update process run and download any of the latest fixes.

People will have strong opinions on the Linux variants. Ubuntu seems good enough. It installs with Firefox for web browsing, Libre Office (a Microsoft Office equivalent), will recognize your WiFi, and will likely recognize your printer. These capabilities probably sufficient for 80% of the population.
This ^

If you have never used Linux before, I'd only recommend installing it if you're willing to learn a new OS. It's quite different, and has much less hardware support compared to Windows. Sounds like you don't need to use it for a whole lot of stuff, so it'd probably work for you.

If you're comfortable using Linux, it's great within it's realm, but if you're not, it's less user friendly than Windows, and it breaks just as often.

Linux is good but limited for applications.

Android is full of holes like Swiss cheese.

Windows is accessible for anyone but it's still registry based.

$.02.

My MacBook has Windows installed on a separate partition and I have Linux as a secondary OS through Paralells. I have no need for Google OS.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top