JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Given our current political climate, would you convert a pistol to an SBR? I guess my thoughts are convert it now before a possible "assault weapons" ban when you might not be able to to grandfather it in. On the flip side you could keep it as a pistol and might not be able to convert it later but it would never get on an "assault weapon" registry.

The answer is both. Lowers are cheap. The cost to file SBR is fairly cheap. Their is talk of raising the cost of an NFA stamp.

Also, since traveling with an SBR can be annoying, it is worth it to have a pistol lower you can slap your upper on. Also useful for keeping in the vehicle in remote area.

Pros - you can put a rifle butt stock on it.

Cons - you have to pay for the dreaded $200 tax stamp

To me its that simple if you don't care about the butt stock build a pistol.

Why not to get a bullpup?
AOL of bullpups are normally 'lil shorter than SBRs but you have full-length barrel, so you can utilize all load's potentials.
Moreover, you don't have to blow BATF.
Also, about "keeping in the vehicle" - how does it meet WA I-1639 "safe storage" requirements...o_O

Last Edited:
Most actual stocks for SBRs are much nicer than a brace, but as mentioned an SIR can be a pain to cross state lines with.

Who know what will come down the line for new gun laws. The 50 ounce empty rule eliminates most AR type pistols.

Who knows what happens to SBRs, there is no hiding those.

Why not to get a bullpup?
AOL of bullpups are normally 'lil shorter than SBRs but you have full-length barrel, so you can utilize all load's potentials.
Moreover, you don't have to blow BATF.
Also, about "keeping in the vehicle" - how does it meet WA I-1639 "safe storage" requirements...o_O

A) screw their requirement.

B) I meant with me on a trip into the wilderness, I.e. firewood collection.

I have SBRs and braced pistols. I probably won't be moving to SBR anything in the near future as has already been mentioned traveling with an SBR is more problematic and gives the government more money out of my pocket to exercise my rights.

There are enough collapsible braces on the market that are very nearly the equivalent of rifle stocks, I'm not sure i see the point of doing it...

Aside from clones, I wouldn't bother with an SBR. A draco sbr to clone a PMD 90 carbine is an example of where I would go the sbr route.

An ar pistol with sba3 is an example where I'd just have a brace.

Last Edited:
I have braced pistols and SBR's and the stocks on my SBR's never rotate when they get hot & greasy, plus you can run a VFG with less than an 11.5 barrel. That's mostly why I like the SBR"s better.

I have braced pistols and SBR's and the stocks on my SBR's never rotate when they get hot & greasy, plus you can run a VFG with less than an 11.5 barrel. That's mostly why I like the SBR"s better.
SBA3 won't rotate either.

E62DBBAF-A36B-47EC-AC93-14893CD0C9CF.jpeg

Questionable on the vfg with sba3. I'm only .5-1" shy of 26" with the SBA3 extended out, but who knows if ATF measures pistol with brace extended or collapsed. This is with a 8.5" barrel (not measuring from muzzle device).

SBA3 won't rotate either.

View attachment 565377

Questionable on the vfg with sba3. I'm only .5-1" shy of 26" with the SBA3 extended out, but who knows if ATF measures pistol with brace extended or collapsed. This is with a 8.5" barrel (not measuring from muzzle device).
I have a couple sbm4 on vltor a5 pistol tubes and a sbpdw , the pdw doesn't rotate , but I'm still partial to a real stocks. If I build another I might try the sba3, or just efile another.

For what I built the AR for (trucking gun if we ever get national reciprocity), sbr might not be the best thing. And I don't like AR enough for a second lower.

But a PMD 90 carbine clone? SBR time!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads