JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Disappointing to see intelligent people falling into the "if it were only illegal, the problem would be solved" camp. We've all heard it before and it's still "if only pot, alcohol, LSD, Tide pods, and meth were illegal, then the kids would never get hold of it".

Legislating morality isn't going to solve any problems.

Didn't see if anyone here thought of this, I went back and saw lots of talk about Progressive Liberals. If the politicians really wanted to make children safer they would allow a one time tax credit, not deduction, for a safe. That would take money out of their pockets and no politician would allow that.

The comments espoused are noble and noteworthy but you have forgotten a minor point.

It isn't the OR/WA legislators doing the damage!

It is the stupid historical statute [1900'] which allows citizens to initiate initiative(s), pander for signatures putting their noble initiative(s) on the ballot for all the uninformed voters to vote on, which if passed become law, without legislator or governor oversight.

Their hands are tied and they can and do regularly, with clear conscience say at re-election time, they didn't have anything to do about the offending statute and cannot, by law change it!

[sidebar: you do know all those voters living in apts/rentals/etc. are responsible for raising your property taxes don't you?]

Hard to understand why the voter initiative process has not been taken to SCOTUS as unconstitutional. It is nothing short of mob rule, the majority being allowed to enforce it's will on a minority. We are a republic, not a democracy.

The big challenge in getting this changed would be the part about politicians being able to sidestep responsibility for enactment of laws brought on by voter referendums. It's such a convenient out for them.

Also, as here in WA, though politicians may not be "allowed" to change said initiatives, they can and do create workarounds, as with the WA vehicle registration fees.

I am liking this thread.

Another one might be to have a ballot measure to increase the standards for being able to transfer a firearm... More gun restrictions!! Must be good, right?

Now before you all start hitting me over the head, hear me out. When SB941 was snaking it's way thru Salem a lot of people realized it made FFL03's worthless, cut out the Civilian Marksmanship program and denied the use of Concealed Carry Licenses when selling/trading with others not so well known. The politicians refused to include any of them in the bill as a reasonable compromise.

What do all three of those things have in common? They are all actually more stringent than your typical background check process! Many of them (declare intentions to sheriff, join a gun club, detailed record keeping, training, etc) are points that I hear a lot of pro-gun control advocates keep demanding should be placed on gun owners. So instead of resisting, lets get all Zen like and use their own ideas and language against them.

I say that as the facebook page "Oregonians against the assault weapon ban" was able to get nearly 80k members in a matter of weeks. I'm pretty sure most of those members know at least 2-3 others who would feel the same way, and capable of printing AND filling out a ballot form.

And don't forget the free IP43 ballot signature gathering training being offered, as well! Education is a great thing to share!

Now that IP44 is dead the only thing that I am willing to concede to for 2019, so we don't get son of IP44 or worse is: "If you have kids or prohibited persons living with you, then lock up your guns when not on you or in use. If you don't and there are damages or some one gets hurt, then you can be held financially liable." That is all. No victim, no crime. No should have known. No on the hook for five years. No stupid trigger locks. And no safe storage requirement if you live without kids or tards.

As far as CHL reciprocity, I don't see that happening, however we could go the Idaho route and offer an Enhanced Permit with more intensive training. As long as they keep the existing in-state requirements for Granny who wants to pack her late husbands revolver in her purse/car because the old neighborhood has gone to sh*t thanks to the Democrats sanctuary state policy. Yep, keep the Granny Permit.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top