JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What a moron ,this aready was a big failure in Seattle . Unless something has changed the military does not use hollow points . And they are less likely to penetrate a vest. These are the people speaking on the behalf of CITIZENS OMG :(

You misunderstand. It was a huge success. They're goal was to make people have less access in Seattle to buy guns and ammunition, and to make the act of less desirable because of the increased tax. It worked very well.

It's all part of the plan to erode the right.

But, but, but, it is working SO well in Seattle. :rolleyes:

It's true..............

It's doing exactly what they wanted it to do.

Ray

Answer me this, how many of you got off your arse and wrote a letter to this 'person' outlining his skewed views and rebutting his agenda with FACTUAL data? It makes NO DIFFERENCE if you're a resident or not! He's a public official and everything sent to him/her/them becomes a public record by law.

I was aware in advance that anything I sent this person would probably be rejected out of hand given his views. None-the-less, I chose to address the person with logic pertaining to his views and to see what his response would be. His response was ?? as in I'm unsure if it was a threat or what? You decide.. It's posted below...

I love this web site and mostly believe in the sincerity of people here. However, there are so many [hate-won't comply-etc, KMA] 'responses' to stories but seemingly so little action that's presented, it's hard for me to have any faith of promoting anything weapon or 2A related views. As in, if you're willing to publicly state your voice here, then by all means please feel free to publish your opposing views that you've personally sent to those individuals that are opposed to your 2A rights.
As in, show the world what you've done to support the 2A/pro-gun cause instead of just griping about it so that all of us have the benefit of your wisdom!

Here's my response to Mr. Mello; Your views may vary...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Per the story, Aug. 23, 2019 at 7:16 pm Updated Aug. 23, 2019 at 8:55 pm
By Allison Needles
The News Tribune Tacoma to weigh gun tax patterned after Seattle law
I almost find humor in suggestions such as your proposed firearms and ammunition tax. But I'm forced back to reality when reading the content in the proposals as reported in the news. I find no humor wherein any citizen or publicly elected official is quoted dispensing false material as fact.

Let's diagnose your points.
  1. "This isn't just about mass shootings," Mello told The News Tribune on Friday. "Gun violence happens in urban centers like Tacoma all the time,
    1. Care to "define" gun violence? I keep seeing/hearing the term but in my 60+ years have yet to see a gun be violent. Individuals on the other hand are a different story. So why pray tell, do you name shootings as gun violence? Perhaps you call auto deaths car violence? Yes? Knife stabbings are knife violence? I fail to understand why anyone can not nor will not blame a given individual for any shooting, stabbing, beating etc. Please feel free to explain.
  2. A third tier would include a higher tax on high-velocity ammunition, "
    1. At what point exactly is high velocity defined? 200 fps (feet per second)? 1000fps" 4000fps? And your reasoning is based on what exactly?
  3. or more military-style ammunition such as "hollow point bullets.
    1. Hollow point ammunition has been banned in international warfare under the 1899 Hague Convention's early laws of war that the United States has followed even though the U.S. government never ratified the agreement. Irrespective of 'hollow-point (s)', virtually every caliber of ammunition being sold today has been used or is currently in use by the military and most every law enforcement agency.
  4. "They're designed to pierce through body armor with the intent to kill somebody," Mello said.
    1. Hollow points are NOT DESIGNED to penetrate nor pierce body armor. They're designed to expand, after penetration into game animals, to produce shock to reduce the chance of wounding the animal resulting in instantaneous death and prevent suffering.
  5. Exemptions would be made for persons who sell no more than one firearm or 50 rounds of ammunition per quarter,
    1. And how do you propose to track this? Any weapons transfers are already regulated and tracked and ammunition is under no restrictions. It's brutally apparent you have zero knowledge how many rounds even a casual shooter will discharge at a gun range or any other place it's safe to shoot. Even at that, there's hundreds of thousands that do their own reloading.
  6. Mello's request comes after recent shootings, including several in Tacoma this month. Mello's letter was also signed by Mayor Victoria Woodards and Councilmember Catherine Ushka.
    1. Not surprising others signed on, it's a narrative to project a 'feel good idea' to the public that uses false information presented as facts.
  7. We talk about gun violence a lot...
    1. And again with a false premise. Here's the disgusting part of the 'gun violence' narrative. The expression was coined by Adolf Hitler, when he dictated his 1925 book Mein Kampf, about the use of a lie so "colossal" that no one would believe that someone "could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously".
  8. Mello said the proposed tax is not about punishing lawful gun owners."This is about making our community safer," he said.
    1. So LAWFUL gun owners will be paying these taxes, yes? So which of the felons, that can't pass the required background checks to buy a weapon, will be paying this tax that won't be punishing lawful gun owners? As for ammunition, since it's not illegal for anyone to purchase, is your proposed 'tracking' going to be background checks on ammunition? Please feel free to explain how "This is about making our community safer," will actually work.
  9. Seattle collected $93,000 from its gun-and-ammunition tax in 2017, down from about $104,000 collected in 2016, when the tax took effect. When it was adopted in 2015, then-Councilmember Tim Burgess said the city projected the tax would raise $300,000 to $500,000 a year.
    1. Now there's a perfect example how a lie turned into a disgrace. Not only did the revenue not meet the projections, businesses moved out of their taxing districts which resulted in even more revenue lost. What a surprise! By all means, feel free to convey your premise of using the Seattle fiasco as a model to follow.
While almost every law aiding gun owner can empathize with the tragedy of any illegal shootings, I believe you'll discover those lawful gun owners are not the problem if you actually dig into the root causes of the shootings. There are untold numbers of shootings that go unreported by lawful owners acting in either self-defense or in defense of others on a daily basis. The shootings that make the news are seemingly primarily related to gang (s) or by someone (As in an individual that has mental issues of some kind.) that's clearly and obviously a danger to society.

In general, respective of your taxing idea, please feel free to outline in detail how your proposal will affect felons, that don't obey the already 20,000? 22,000? gun laws on the books, and not affect lawful and legal gun owners while not causing the lose of revenue to the area you represent. I'm 99.99% positive no criminals/felons will be paying any of the proposed taxes but I could be wrong... Nah..

Until public officials and the public begin to comprehend it's felons and criminals that are the problem on shootings, you'll never get ahead of this issue. Until the leaders of said communities address their civic issues, the shootings, stabbings, drug use will prevail. We already have the laws but are seeing elected officials not pushing for law enforcement to uphold said laws. A prime example is Seattle. Safe places to shoot up illegal drugs? Don't arrest drug dealers with less then 3 grams of illegal drugs. Don't arrest criminals for petty crimes. While the list goes on and on, I believe you can understand the premise.
I'm attaching some FBI data you might be interested in. Table 20 (Table 20) and Expanded Homicide Data Table 8 (Expanded Homicide Data Table 8)
I'm also attaching a file (Crime in Washington 2018) by the Washington Assoc. of Sheriffs & Police Chiefs. It has some very interesting data showing your county and city. https://www.waspc.org/assets/CJIS/Crime In Washington 2018-small.pdf

While I can appreciate your effort to reducing violent crime, I'm of the belief your proposal is mis-guided and harmful to the lawful and law abiding citizens you represent. I would hope you review the links and reflect on the views above and seek a more beneficial way to accomplish your goals. The law abiding citizens are not the problems here, it's the criminals. Punishing the lawful individuals for the crimes of the criminals is, at the very least, mis-guided and patently wrong.
Dan Deckert

Here's Mr. Mellos response;
1566708122294.png

Best,
Run

That's the response? Run from what? Sure as hell not from the ideas he's presented.
Should I 'run'? Is the response a threat? You tell me. Is this a prime case for a "red flag" request? It would certainly seem to be so.

None-the-less, IMHO, if you're going to tell the world what's needed, respective of a public officials opinion, then you need to show the world your response to their view or put a clamp on that mouthpiece of yours.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Your efforts are to be applauded Dan. Really. If 5000 people packed Mr. Mello's email inbox saying same, he might get a clue (and maybe folks did, who knows...maybe that's why his response was so short).

But by and large, folks such as he are either a. deliberately ignorant, and/or b. simply knowingly spreading biased, false information. They'll say WHATEVER promotes their agenda and/or gets them majority of the votes. There's zero accountability for false or misleading material from the media. None. And never expect an apology.

Their minds are NOT going to be changed, because that would require them to think critically, radically alter their ideals, and/or admit they're wrong...and they can't be bothered with any of that. Waaaayyyyy to much brain-worky there. It's equivalent to changing the minds of the old 'divine experts' of a couple hundred years ago that Earth was NOT the center of the universe...

And this is an example of one of the most frustrating aspects of what we're dealing with...you spent how much time composing nine discussion points plus a few more paragraphs on top of that, backed by facts. An hour? Maybe more? His response: Seven words. Your significant work/work was dismissed in about 5 seconds from a smartphone. These are the types of folks that will put their fingers in their ears while shouting 'CAN'T HEAR YOU -LA LA LA LA - CAN'T HEAR YOU!!'

If you have the time, keep writing - good job. But as posted before, there might be better returns on investment communicating with people who will listen and can do better than reply with seven words before deleting your message without even reading it.

My $.02 worth.

Boss

... But by and large, folks such as he are either a. deliberately ignorant, and/or b. simply knowingly spreading biased, false information. They'll say WHATEVER promotes their agenda and/or gets them majority of the votes. There's zero accountability for false or misleading material from the media. None. And never expect an apology. ...

Yep, point out a factual error that would lead to bad policy, and they just quip: "ammosexual, whatever, go away." It's a culture war and as such, facts are irrelevant to them.

But as posted before, there might be better returns on investment communicating with people who will listen and can do better than reply with seven words before deleting your message without even reading it.

My $.02 worth.

Boss
Appreciate it. Being retired has some perks. I sent the same to the Tacoma newspaper and suggested they might approach Mello and see what he says about each point. It's also now a public record and deleting it would be illegal since it's sent to a government email addy.
Main issue we all seem to agree on is where the MSM won't go after people like this and ask why his 'facts' are not correct.

Dan

Answer me this, how many of you got off your arse and wrote a letter to this 'person' outlining his skewed views and rebutting his agenda with FACTUAL data? It makes NO DIFFERENCE if you're a resident or not! He's a public official and everything sent to him/her/them becomes a public record by law.

None-the-less, IMHO, if you're going to tell the world what's needed, respective of a public officials opinion, then you need to show the world your response to their view or put a clamp on that mouthpiece of yours.

Dan
While writing to this moron and showing up at meetings is good, it will accomplish nothing if gun owners refuse to vote. People like this moron are on the floor laughing behind closed doors at letters if they keep getting reelected. If the guy can spew crap like this and keep his job why would he care? The only way this changes is when some of them lose power. As in lose their job. Then others suddenly change their tune. They will not change their mind on guns but, if they think it will cost them that job they love so much? They will stop trying to put stuff like this into law. Anyone who has not seen it should look at the youtube video's of Seattle counsel meetings and how they treat the speakers. They could not give a crap what anyone is saying as long as they win next election.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan, you might want to remove your personal information here. Quite a few crazy people troll this board and others like it looking for people to harass.
Good point.
In the FWIW dept., I just googled myself and there's a ton of info on me. I've done global marketing for some really big companies, I died July 29 of 2017, I've been an attorney, played baseball somewhere & lord knows what I invented or how many patients I handled as a psychiatrist.

Sadly enough, I invented politics, politicians, political parties and that has haunted me to this very day. I owe everyone an apology for that. However, I also invented bull$hit detectors. I have them for sale at the remarkable price of ONLY $19.99 plus shipping. Call if you're interested, BR- 549. o_O
PS: Our detectors are multilingual at no additional cost!

Dan

Wait..

Military uses hollow point bullets?

Wut?

and..
Dan, you might want to remove your personal information here. Quite a few crazy people troll this board and others like it looking for people to harass.
Thank you. It has been corrected.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads