JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you relied on the documents and thought you were buying a 50' x 116' lot then the title insurance company could be on the hook for making you whole. That situation is precisely why you buy title insurance.

That was one mistake I made while working for the DOT. Having a PE made no difference in pay so I didn't bother to get it. Now I wish I had it, but I'm almost 65 so why bother now!

I am 26, I am going in for my EIT test in October. Life has gotten VERY busy lately so I have had not much time to study. Meaning chances of my passing are slim. But it will give me an idea on what exactly I need to study for if I take it again.

WA law requires you to have 4 years experience or a 4 year degree to take you EIT. I have 6 years experience and a 2 year degree. Problem is I wont get a raise with an EIT with the way the economy, more than likely it will be another pay cut!

If you relied on the documents and thought you were buying a 50' x 116' lot then the title insurance company could be on the hook for making you whole. That situation is precisely why you buy title insurance.

I am going to check out my paperwork one more time and give them a call, I will make them explain it.

No way. There's a disclaimer for that. It's amazing how little you get for your title insurance dollars. You get insured that they didn't miss a lien of record. If there's a lien that's not of record, you aren't even covered for that.

Lot size? That's what surveyors are for, not title companies.

I'm not understanding the problem. If you draw a plot plan showing a 40' lot, and your proposed garage meets setback requirements etc. for that, why wouldn't you get a permit?

BTW, a 20" garage is a Pita. It isn't quite deep or wide enough for storage. You get just 18" on either side of the garage door - not quite enough for shelves, etc., and not quite enough depth for tool chests or workbench, etc.

Can you do at least 22"?

Someone mentioned $4000 or $6000 to do a survey?

Really

I have had several done and having one done now - $350 is typical price. Cheap for the peace of mind.

If it's a lot in town, especially a newer lot with monuments easy to find, and especially if it's been surveyed a couple of time already, then sure.

When I built on my acreage which had never been surveyed except 50 years ago when the county surveyed the front to widen the road, it cost me $10,000.

The city says I am allowed 1000 square feet for a shop so that is what I did. 28' wide X 36' deep. Went 12' on the walls so I could have 10' doors. Try not to skimp too much when it comes to your shop, you may never get a second chance. My Dad worked all his life, retired, built his shop and within 5 years died. He got to see the start of my shop but didn't make it for the Grand Opening. I do believe he was happy that I was able to get mine at an earlier age. So am I.
Good luck with yours.
Mike

Problems happen when neighbors build on your property because you don't know where the lines are. If you don't act on their encroachment then after a length of time you can't remove their building. Establish your property line and don't let people build across them.

jj

Problems happen when neighbors build on your property because you don't know where the lines are. If you don't act on their encroachment then after a length of time you can't remove their building. Establish your property line and don't let people build across them.

jj

It's called adverse possession. In Oregon it's 10 years BUT the land owner has to know it's encroaching and allow it anyway. It has to be permissive.

With the new tools they have it should be alot easier.
I just had 4 acres in the country surveyed. They could find a coupl eof corner post. They had to set new post and caps and record that information. Go to the land office and check for easements since there was a question on it.

$350.

With the new tools they have it should be alot easier.
I just had 4 acres in the country surveyed. They could find a coupl eof corner post. They had to set new post and caps and record that information. Go to the land office and check for easements since there was a question on it.

$350.

If your property has been surveyed, the survey is registered, and the surveyors can find a couple of corners using a metal detector and the aerial map, you're golden, especially if your property is a rectangle, or at least has straight sides.

My property isn't a rectangle, the lines aren't straight down the sides, and there were no corner markers not to mention markers at the points where the property lines changed directions. (A slight "V" at one point in the property lines.) I'm also on a hill and parts of my property are steep.

Surveying is done as if the land was flat, giving you more surface area than the map or the survey shows if it's a hillside.

My property had never been surveyed. $10,000 to set all corners.

I am thinking 20x20 will do well for me because it will only be a 1 car garage. with the other side being a full shop..

I dont have my drawings with my at this time, but very similar to this.

ezgarage20.jpg

Currently my shop is 9x25 and it suites me well, I just hate it being so narrow, so a 20x20 will give me plenty of space even with a car parked inside it, but when the shop is not in use it will be parked outside.

If my property was not so small I would probably so something along the lines of a 4 car garage, but I will save that for later in life ;)

I am thinking 20x20 will do well for me because it will only be a 1 car garage. with the other side being a full shop..

I dont have my drawings with my at this time, but very similar to this.

ezgarage20.jpg

Currently my shop is 9x25 and it suites me well, I just hate it being so narrow, so a 20x20 will give me plenty of space even with a car parked inside it, but when the shop is not in use it will be parked outside.

If my property was not so small I would probably so something along the lines of a 4 car garage, but I will save that for later in life ;)

Nice! OK, I would use a 9' roll up door, with a 2 1/2' setback from the corner. That, with wall and foundation thickness, would give you 2 feet of space along that side wall for storage, cabinets, whatever.

That would leave you 8 1/2 feet for your shop. Subtract 2' for wall storage, benches, tool cabinets, tools, etc. and you still have 6 1/2' of clear space.

Remember, the inside dimensions will actually be about 19 x 19 because the size is expressed as exterior size.

Dang, I'd want to go 22 x 22 with a 16' roll up and 1 man door. My garage is 30' deep and it's extra wide double, and it seems too small, LOL.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top