JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was contacted to chime in...I'm game, so here goes.

Yep, there are too many LEO's who no nothing about open carry. It wasn't one of those things encountered much til now.

But it's got to the point where something needed to be done to inform the few, the too proud, and highly egotistical! ugh!

So some of us in the industry came up with a quick reference quiz for both LE and citizen alike.
Since I work in WA State, its geared for that state. Your state may vary, so read your laws carefully, and consult an attorney if needed to clarify anything confusing to you...before any disaster may befall you.

Open Carry of Firearms in Washington
Review Washington's "Open Carry" for firearms law.

Scenario:
Officer Smith sees two men walking down the street. The men are laughing and talking as they cross the street. One of the men tips his hat to a lady as he passes. Officer Smith notices everyone is taking a second look at the men as they pass. Officer Smith takes a closer look to see what everyone is looking at. He sees both men are carrying what appear to be long-barreled, pearl handled revolvers in holsters on their belts. It doesn't appear the men are trying to hide the guns. The men walk into a restaurant that serves alcohol and sit down for dinner.

QUESTION #1:
Have the men committed a crime by carrying their guns where everyone can see them while in public?

The correct answer: No
Washington is an "open carry" state for firearms. This means there is a presumption that carrying a handgun in
an exposed holster, for instance, is legal except where it is specifically prohibited. Open carry does not require
a license. On the other hand, concealed carry of a firearm out in public is generally illegal without government
authority.

Note: I use the word 'presumption', since there's nothing in WA State law that specifically in and of itself talks about open carry one way or another...forthwith, therefore, henceforth (lol)...it is 'presumed' to be a legal act. That's the way Wa State law works. If there's no law that specifically deals with it in specifics, its 'presumed' a legal act.

QUESTION #2:
RCW 9.41.270 states "It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm or any
other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time
and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of others."

Can the men be charged? Obviously people are looking at them a second time when they see the guns in plain view.

In this law, mere possession of an openly carried handgun is not prohibited. In order to support an enforcement
action under this law the officer must be able to articulate (describe in a convincing manner) malicious intent by
the suspect or circumstances that reasonably cause alarm to the public. In either case, because open carry in
Washington is presumably legal, the articulation must include something beyond mere, open possession.

QUESTION #3:
Since the men went into an establishment that serves alcohol, can they be charged?

This could be considered a trick question since many restaurants have lounges and it would depend on where
the men sat. For this discussion we are assuming they sat in the eating area of the restaurant.

RCW 9.41.300 in part reads (1) it is unlawful for a person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly
possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:
(a) The restricted access areas of a jail, or of a law enforcement facility;
(b) Those areas in any building which are used in connection with court proceedings;
(c) The restricted access areas of a public mental health facility;
(d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one
years of age; or
(e) The restricted access areas of a commercial service airport.
• This illegalizes mere possession at these places, including open carry, unless an exception applies.
Exceptions are spelled out in subsections 6-9.

There's too many in LE this day and age with little or no life experience outside their cell phones and video games. Too much ego, and not enough smarts and common sense.

I have had a few calls about this very thing, and have had to educate the public. They typically don't like the response. With all the shootings the media reports these days, it makes a lot of people on edge to see guns in public...and its hard to blame them.

Great video & Great message. Knowledge is power. Knowing the laws helps to defend ourselves; and ones we love. I applaud this student for standing his ground. My .02 cents.

Man I got to stop reading these threads. They absolutely disgust me as I get farther through them and realize it's not just one moron. I see groups of posters in my own community making statements like "why antagonize?" "Its just easier to show the papers" "why make it harder on yourself" and on and on with these type of yellow bellied, commie, keep Portland weird, liberal left, please tell me how to live because I don't know what I would do otherwise, type comments. I'm making a list of posters who in my opinion should be pistol whipped by the next officer who stops them with their own gun because they don't deserve the right to carry firearms. There should be a background check for people like you before issuing you a firearm because you are the most dangerous people to the 2nd. People like you who say things like, "Yeah I own a gun, but I don't really see the point in carrying it." make me sick.

This so called "d-bag" had courage in the face of tyranny. He stood up for his rights, even though the comfortable thing, the easy thing, would be to "just show the papers". He handled himself professionally and with conviction and it is to be commended by the firearms community. I'm sure the rest of you slimy, spineless worms would have forked your documents right over to him. That is what turds like you do. I can only hope that I have the fortitude to handle a situations like this in a similar manner and have the upmost respect for this man you call a "d-bag".

If what he did makes him a d-bag, than may I be the biggest d-bag in my grandma's cabinet!

"Every minute spent arguing with a cop over a finer point of law is a minute that cop could be spending doing real police work."...........That one really gets a chuckle because the LEO is the one wasting time here "doing real police work." He should have never forced the issue when the guy opted not to play his game if he really had better things to do.

LEO's; stop taking it personal. I Love having law enforcement in my neighborhood. It sure beats having anarchy. (these anarchists are bigger worms than the liberal tell me how to live crowd, in fact I think they are the same crowd however that works???) Most LEO's are hard working Christian men of great conviction themselves. They are certainly not the turds I'm speaking about. But LEO's need to stop getting their panties in a bunch when something doesn't go your way "because it keeps us from doing our jobs" B.S. you LEO's are always spouting off. Play the game. Play the game well. Know your laws so you can get the criminals when the time is right. Don't let criminals slip through loop holes because you didn't know the game.

And that is why I need to stop reading these threads because then I end up ranting for 20 minutes and I need to get home with dinner.

Maybe because my identity is none of their damn business.

As for the sentimental BS about how the cops are "part of our community", as long as they willingly serve the corrupt law and the ruling class bureaucrats, I will treat police with extreme suspicion regardless of how nice they are at a personal level.

When the rank and file police stage a mass revolt against civil forfeiture, stop and frisk, no-knock raids, and all the other outrages they are ordered to aggress upon the citizenry on a daily basis, then I will trust the police.

Why are you so angry all the time and have such a negative view of LEO in general? Must suck to be in a bad mood 24/7/365.

Any dispatcher that quoted "chapter and verse" and thereby dispensed with a caller asking for police help would be hanging his rectum in a stiff breeze.

That visual is both humorous and disturbing.

FYI - the guy is not a law student.

<broken link removed>

He may not have been a law student but I give him props. He was a very well spoken young man.

He said (I paraphrase) that he is less likely (as the result of him OCing) to be bothered by criminals. Are there stats to support this notion? He also said that 1 in 3 pople will be the victim of violent crime. Again stats to support this? Seems like the stats for violent crime are less than 33%.

aint it funny that these thread always get to " he was stupid for carrying and not giving his ID "

Instead of what part on inalienable rights,
what part of The Right to Keep And Bear Arms
And what part of shall not be infringed do you NOT understand?

As the guy in the video said this was a lot less about the 2A than it was about the 4A. The officer didn't have probable cause so he was way off base to take his gun.

I think it was bikejunkie who made a comment about not needing to be a dick in circumstances like this. Very true. Legally the guy was 100% correct but imagine how much smoother everything would've been if he'd just given some ID? Some will say that I am just bending over but I feel like being cooperative in this type of circumstance is a whole lot more win-win and a whole lot less adversarial.

As far as I am concerned if you choose to act like the guy in the video you are not wrong. If you choose to be cooperative and show ID you are not wrong.

FYI - the guy is not a law student.

<broken link removed>

Thanks for posting this video. Norman Hamman sums it all up very nicely and states to all you guys calling him a d-bag exactly why he is filming. If I had been harassed by police in my community and arrested for carrying a legal pocket knife, I likewise would start recording every interaction with law enforcement. I dont know the details behind the search when he was arrested but I'm guessing Law Enforcement trampled all over his 4th amendment rights to get that pocket knife.

Now I know why you're angry. Reading is hard.

and watching a video with comprehension is even harder.

"I would communicate the law to the officer in as a respectful a tone as possible indicating my understanding of it." CHECK

"If he chose to disagree still, I would politely ask him to contact his shift lieutenant or sergeant to come mediate what would appear to be a dispute in understanding of the law." CHECK

He did everything you said you would do, so what exactly would you have done differently????

"I would communicate the law to the officer in as a respectful a tone as possible indicating my understanding of it." CHECK

"If he chose to disagree still, I would politely ask him to contact his shift lieutenant or sergeant to come mediate what would appear to be a dispute in understanding of the law." CHECK

He did everything you said you would do, so what exactly would you have done differently????

Oh I know, you would have given him your papers like the sheep you are.

Oh I know, you would have given him your papers like the sheep you are.

I'm confused. Are you calling yourself a sheep by quoting yourself? :confused:

Answering my own question. Not very confusing at all. I hope I would have the fortitude to not conform like a sheep in that situation. All I can do is try and learn from Norman Hamman so maybe I can react as well as he did if I'm ever faced with the situation.

I'd love for more LEOs to chime in with their opinions. Member errackeleo jumped in for a second there, but really
hasn't addressed the OP.

The fact is that I may not always be right. I am not perfect. If I have probable cause (articutable facts that would lead a rational person in a similar situation to believe that more likely than not a crime has been committed and you are the person who committed it) then arresting you and lodging you at jail is not a "violation of your rights". Like it or not that is how the system works.

So what do you think about the video in the OP ?

Your concept of respectful differs from normal people. I think that's also why you're really, really angry.

Not sure where you got angry from but I can taste vomit in my mouth and I agree with you on this point. No I do not think getting down on your knees and blowing is a way to give or get respect.

Edit: missed the "normal" part of your comment. I thought we were talking about you. "Normal People" is a subjective, but I think Norman Hamman was as respectful as possible considering what he was up against.

EDit: Read some of your old posts to get a perspective. Apparently everyone is a "d-bag" to you and I can tell your not worth the trouble. Your opinions rarely hit on any truth. If not for referencing the 90's, id swear you were 15 years old. I'd sooner give up all my constitutional rights to the next officer that stops me in the name of politeness and respect than spend one more minute on you. Peace.

Your concept of respectful differs from normal people. I think that's also why you're really, really angry.

Not sure where you got angry from but I can taste vomit in my mouth and I agree with you on this point. No I do not think getting down on your knees and blowing is a way to give or get respect.

Edit: missed the "normal" part of your comment. I thought we were talking about you. "Normal People" is a subjective, but I think Norman Hamman was as respectful as possible considering what he was up against.

EDit: Read some of your old posts to get a perspective. Apparently everyone is a "d-bag" to you and I can tell your not worth the trouble. Your opinions rarely hit on any truth. If not for referencing the 90's, id swear you were 15 years old. I'd sooner give up all my constitutional rights to the next officer that stops me in the name of politeness and respect than spend one more minute on you. Peace.

Have to agree with Sonic on this one. Your response proves his point.

This has been a very educational thread and I have learned a lot. It's to bad that some are openly hostile to some (me included) who would rather not be adversarial if it isn't necessary. Being cooperative doesn't make a person a d-bag, sheeple, liberal, or a rights relinquising doh-doh bird.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top