JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last night I was getting ready for bed when I received a email from a parent of a kid in a previous Kids Firearm Safety 1 Class, Here's the text:

Hello Derek,

I just wanted to let you know that today at school, my son remembered, and used what you taught him. A boy that he didn't know came up behind him, and told him that he better not get on his bad side, or he would bring his 22 to school and shoot Alec. The boy then went on about bringing his father's gun to school to shoot him. Alec looked for an adult, but there wasn't one around, so told me as soon as he walked in the door. He said that he didn't think that the boy would really do it, but was concerned that the boy had access to the gun at home, and might hurt himself. We called the school, and my son explained what happened to the school counselor, and he immediately followed up. Alec is afraid about retaliation, and hopefully, this will be handled well, and nothing will come of it.

Thank you for teaching the safety class. I know that Alec coped better with this situation, and thought about the other child's safety, besides his own, because of it.

Aubrey

Sent from my iPhone

I'm still shocked about this situation, and am proud of how Alec handled the situation. We are making tremendous progress and support of our message is growing. If you haven't seen what we are doing we are on FB, IG, and Twitter. Kidssafefoundation.org IMG_8772.JPG

I know that IF one of my kids had spouted his mouth off like that.... the cops would have been the LEAST of his worries. o_O

Oh yeah, that's right.... my kids knew that growing up! :rolleyes:

No kidding...
The wrath of Dad , not to forget his disappointment , if I misused or broke the trust he gave me , regarding firearms . was not something that I wanted to face....:eek:

It is "easy" insurance to teach firearm safety....Why some folks , who own guns do not instill a respect for the gun and your actions with it , to those who use their guns , is beyond my powers of understanding...
Andy

It is "easy" insurance to teach firearm safety....Why some folks , who own guns do not instill a respect for the gun and your actions with it , to those who use their guns , is beyond my powers of understanding...
Andy

I would go even further to say that even if you don't own/like guns, instilling a respect for guns and your actions with them is important. Kids learn fire drills and earthquake drills, they learn about stranger danger and what to do in those kinds of situations, we teach them about safe sex/abstinence, drug and alcohol use/abuse... we don't want them to encounter these things but we still teach them about them so they know what to do if they are ever in those situations. Why not a gun safety class geared toward children of non-owners?

On the flip side there is so much going on at homes we are never made aware of, by no means is taking a life because you are being bullied or ridiculed. But we are creating pansies along side bullies an often deadly situation. It may not be popular but I can focus blame easy at the parents who are raising their kids to be victims and when they are bullied they only know hoe to be victimized.

Classes like this we had in the 1960's and 70's in yes California and the SF Bay Area no less.
But we also taught our kids that life was fun but also work even in school you got what you put in and
no one gave you a big hug for not trying like they do today.

• Yes we need education.
  • Yes we need to address bulling
  • Yes we need to raise our kids in real world where life is not always fair and not everyone wins.
  • Yes we need to protect our kids, and not by disarming the good guys and this should be taught in these safety classes.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top